Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Medium Format Digital Cameras and Backs
Thread started 02 Dec 2014 (Tuesday) 17:40
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Cutting Masks for Fuji GX680

KingRoach
197 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Dec 02, 2014 17:40 |  #1

Hi forum. Below is my journal entry for how I cut masks to be used with different format digital backs, such as 40x40, 36x24, 36x80 (one of my upcoming DIY's), or anything, in both vertical or portrait orientations.

I used semi-transparent lamination to make the masks to make composition and environment-awareness much better than what you would get when using opaque black masks. This way you can see what's coming into the frame, in case of moving subjects, etc.

http://photographeronb​udget.blogspot.co.uk ...s-for-fujifilm-gx680.htmlexternal link

Let me know if you find this useful.

Bestest

Flickrexternal link - 500pxexternal link - deviantARTexternal link
Gear list, wishlist, and what's for sale

sponsored links
Echo63
Goldmember
2,855 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Perth - Western Australia - Earth
Nov 14, 2015 02:21 |  #2

Very clever !

I am thinking about getting a GX680 as a "fun" camera and to shoot polaroids with (they are dirt cheap too - can pick up a I or II for less than $500 with a lens.)

Wont be getting a digi back for a long time though.

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​comexternal link
Gear listhttp://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=2463426&postcou​nt=385

KingRoach
THREAD ­ STARTER
197 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Dec 17, 2015 12:54 |  #3

Thank a lot. Sorry I didn't notice your reply earlier. It's a great camera and amazingly powerful, but not very portable. Definitely suitable for polaroids at 6x8.

I've decided to sell my entire kit if I find the right buyer, but that includes an A JAW-DROPPING AMAZING KIT including a digital back an iBook at around £3k in the UK.

Echo63
Goldmember
2,855 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Dec 17, 2015 22:53 |  #4

KingRoach wrote in post #17822553 (external link)
Thank a lot. Sorry I didn't notice your reply earlier. It's a great camera and amazingly powerful, but not very portable. Definitely suitable for polaroids at 6x8.

I've decided to sell my entire kit if I find the right buyer, but that includes an A JAW-DROPPING AMAZING KIT including a digital back an iBook at around £3k in the UK.

Has yours been modded to work with a digi back ? Or does it have the kapture box.

From what i understand the cameras flash port always fires at 1/15 - which messes with the timing of a digi back - other cameras all fire the flash at whatever SS they are actually using

KingRoach
THREAD ­ STARTER
197 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Dec 18, 2015 04:15 as a reply to Echo63's post |  #5

Mine hasn't been modded in any way. The digital back is a Phase One H101 for Hasselblad, so yes, it would normally require a Kapture box, which I don't have, but I learned how to use it and operate it without the box. Kind of like using it in bulb mode and letting the camera fire its own shutter speed. The digital back literally functions like film emulsion in this case, being sensitive to light all the time. I haven't used it with flash yet, though, so I don't know what you're saying.

The mount I used was also DIY'ed out of a non-working film back. It worked perfect but with a 5mm recess. I will be 3D printing a precise holder to counter the 5mm recess thing in January.

The sharpness that I was able to get out of this, and the Fujinon EBC lenses, has been so far unmatched even by my recently acquired Canon 70-200mm f2.8 L IS MARK II on a 5D Mark II body!!! I can't believe this thing existed so long ago and still kicks so much ass. Colour reproduction and contrasts are also faultless. The only downside is the slow process. The iBook I'm using is old, so I shoot tethered to it, move the files to a newer computer and use Capture One there to process the files. Anyone with a newer Mac can create wonders with this.

I can share a sample photo (of my neighbours roof) if you want, just a bit too busy right now to upload and share and link. PM me if you're keen.

Echo63
Goldmember
2,855 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Dec 18, 2015 08:42 |  #6

KingRoach wrote in post #17823372 (external link)
Mine hasn't been modded in any way. The digital back is a Phase One H101 for Hasselblad, so yes, it would normally require a Kapture box, which I don't have, but I learned how to use it and operate it without the box. Kind of like using it in bulb mode and letting the camera fire its own shutter speed. The digital back literally functions like film emulsion in this case, being sensitive to light all the time. I haven't used it with flash yet, though, so I don't know what you're saying.

The mount I used was also DIY'ed out of a non-working film back. It worked perfect but with a 5mm recess. I will be 3D printing a precise holder to counter the 5mm recess thing in January.

The sharpness that I was able to get out of this, and the Fujinon EBC lenses, has been so far unmatched even by my recently acquired Canon 70-200mm f2.8 L IS MARK II on a 5D Mark II body!!! I can't believe this thing existed so long ago and still kicks so much ass. Colour reproduction and contrasts are also faultless. The only downside is the slow process. The iBook I'm using is old, so I shoot tethered to it, move the files to a newer computer and use Capture One there to process the files. Anyone with a newer Mac can create wonders with this.

I can share a sample photo (of my neighbours roof) if you want, just a bit too busy right now to upload and share and link. PM me if you're keen.

ah - that would be another way around it.

normally the digital backs are synced via the PC socket or hotshoe - and use the flash sync to time the exposure (normal cameras will contact for the length of the shutter speed, so a 30 min exposure will keep the sync contacts shut for 30 mins, which keeps the back awake for long exposures - the GX680 closes the contacts for 1/15th regardless of shutter speed, so if you are shooting exposures longer than 1/15th, you will have problems.
there is a bloke in korea modifying GX680s to work with digital backs by sending an appropriate length signal.

of course this doesn't really matter if you are using film !

I would be interested to see a sample image, if you get a chance.

KingRoach
THREAD ­ STARTER
197 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Dec 18, 2015 13:41 as a reply to Echo63's post |  #7

This is precisely why I think the price for the Kapture box is outrageous. Because I know how it works.

When I get some free time (and remember) I will send you the photo, or attach it here.

sponsored links

2,949 views & 2 likes for this thread
Cutting Masks for Fuji GX680
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Medium Format Digital Cameras and Backs

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.