Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Underwater Photography
Thread started 03 Dec 2014 (Wednesday) 17:59
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Truk Lagoon

kickmaster
Joined Nov 2004
San Diego. CA
Jan 22, 2015 06:41 |  #16

Dove Truk back in 1976. Still have friends there. Great work!

Canon Forever! 5D III, 1DX, L Primes & Zooms, Kino-Flo, Einsteins, Diva Ringlight, Phottix Indra 500 TTL, Interfit S1's..... Full studio....

sponsored links
EKOEPP
Joined Sep 2012
Atlanta GA
Jan 25, 2015 19:51 |  #17

So awesome. My former neighbor who is now deceased attacked many of these ships in the middle of the night using radar that the British Royal Marines captured from the French coast in a raid! He was on the uss Monaghan.

Canon MarkII 5D * Canon 70-200mm f/4L * Canon 17-40mm f/4L * Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II * Canon 50mm f/1.8 * Venus 60mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro

cerett
800 posts
Joined Jun 2013
Santa Ana, California
Jan 30, 2015 10:31 |  #18

seaninsa wrote in post #17309870external link
Thanks..this thing is referred to R2D2 it is on the Fujikowa Maru. Some of the dive guides will not go in there. One guy in the group was an ahole. He was told to make sure to turtle kick but instead he does flutter kicks and stirred up the slit. I had to spend time in Photoshop to get the slit out of the pic.

Stirring up silt was a huge problem on these dives. I always tried to be the first one in. I never used my fins. I would navigate by using my gloved hands to grab onto things and push myself around. I was doing this for myself and the next person going in.

Marty
5D M3, 14/2.8 II, 24/1.4 II, 16-35/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 70-200/2.8 II, 300/2.8, 200-400/4, 500/4 II, 24/3.5 TS-E, 17/4 TS-E, Zeiss 21/2.8; H5D-50C, HCD 28/4, HC 35/3.5, HC 50/3.5II, HCD 35-90/4.5-5.6, HC 150/3.2

seaninsa
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,528 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Jan 30, 2015 13:20 as a reply to cerett's post |  #19

What a nice guy you were lol..slit is stupid there in the wrecks.

fishbaja
Joined Mar 2008
Eugene, Oregon
Feb 27, 2015 20:01 |  #20

Ok, so I am confused... I thought everything on the bottom at Truk was Japanese. Why is the writing in English?

6D, 24-105 F/4L, 70-200mm F/4L, Samyang 14mm F/2.8
My Website |external linkFlickrexternal link

seaninsa
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,528 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Feb 28, 2015 11:42 |  #21

fishbaja wrote in post #17453032external link
Ok, so I am confused... I thought everything on the bottom at Truk was Japanese. Why is the writing in English?

Most of the ships were made here in the US. Most of these ships were acquired by the Japanese decades before the war.

You can find the history of the ships in Truk Lagoon here:

http://www.bluelagoond​iveresort.com/truk-lagoon-wrecks.htmlexternal link

flylooper
Hatchling
Joined Mar 2015
Jefferson, OR
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by flylooper.
Mar 09, 2015 09:18 as a reply to post 17393862 |  #22

Interesting pictures indeed. I've always wanted to do something similar but I doubt I ever will. What I find interesting is the use of English words on a lot of that equipment, even back then.

Time is evidently doing its job on all that steel. Someday it'll all be just a pile of iron oxide. I would imagine that the temperature of the water has something to do with the rapid deterioration of all that stuff. Same thing is happening to the Titanic in the North Atlantic but probably at a slower pace.

Anyhow....congrats. Good shots.

seaninsa
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,528 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Mar 09, 2015 19:34 |  #23

flylooper wrote in post #17467175external link
Interesting pictures indeed. I've always wanted to do something similar but I doubt I ever will. What I find interesting is the use of English words on a lot of that equipment, even back then.

Time is evidently doing its job on all that steel. Someday it'll all be just a pile of iron oxide. I would imagine that the temperature of the water has something to do with the rapid deterioration of all that stuff. Same thing is happening to the Titanic in the North Atlantic but probably at a slower pace.

Anyhow....congrats. Good shots.

Actually the Titantic is probably going to last longer then these ships. The water is colder. The hot salt water will deteriorate these ships faster. In fact many are collapsing. The superstructure of the Fujikawa Maru has pretty much collapsed. It is hard to get into the area to take a pic of what is referred to as R2D2.

Chad
26 posts
Joined Aug 2002
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by Chad. 5 edits done in total.
Aug 13, 2015 15:50 |  #24

old thread :) hope you reply
sad to hear of the condition but that is going to happen sadly

kinda curious in that room (r2d2) was a gear cage with lightbulbs in tact that were floating up against the roof of that cage area back when I was there ? also the bands for the lathe and other things were still around the wheels to drive it as were wrenches inside the drawers etc...
pretty sure that is where the storage cage was with the bulbs :)

the betty bomber that did not make the landing on Eten used to have a oil filled compass that was kept around so you could play with it etc...
forgot the wreck I got into one time and was tons of medicine ampules all over the floor and what seemed to be a officers quarters with record player and basically looked like it flooded slowly as most of the stuff was in tact ? did not have my camera with me because of the penetration at the time was the first time in did not want anything hanging up
lots of awesome memories down there
some I forgot at this point :) one was fun where you entered the side of the wreck in a huge torpedo hole ?

have to rescan my slides one day :) the slides look better scanned these years ago with garbage scanner years and years ago :)

IMAGE: http://chaddahlquist.com/forums/skull.jpg

for fun dive talk I was invited to dive and take photos on the USS Arizona around the same time frame :) quite the rare opportunity
(I taught diving for 15 years) mostly leading dives :) mostly taught on Utila and on Maui some

seaninsa wrote in post #17389164 (external link)
Well a lot of the wrecks are deteriorating badly. Only one of the guides on the Odyssey would go into the room where R2D2 is on the Fujikawa Maru. All the wrecks are falling apart.

troehr
681 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Chiang Rai, Thailand
Nov 30, 2015 17:58 |  #25

I really like the first one. I'm sure it was a great experience.

escapeartist
297 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Playa Del Rey, California
Jan 22, 2016 15:21 |  #26

Nice crisp detail and color!

www.BrentDurand.com (external link)
on Instagram (external link)

WildImages
Joined Jul 2009
Feb 19, 2016 11:32 |  #27

This place is amazing!

SgtDannySgt
Joined Feb 2016
Qu├ębec, Canada
Feb 24, 2016 10:44 |  #28

Nice!! A dream of mine, maybe one day!!

Danny

Landscape, wildlife and astrophotography!!
Nikon D3300
Meade DSI
Telescope: Meade LX200 12"

WildImages
Joined Jul 2009
Feb 01, 2017 08:00 |  #29

[QUOTE=seaninsa;173095​24]Pictures from a trip I made earlier this year to TruK:

IMAGE: http://www.seansydnorphotography.com/img/s5/v121/p141806139-4.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.seansydnorp​hotography.com/p602045​869/e873ca3b] (external link)

This one is quite spooky! I would be more than a little shocked to run into this thing unexpectedly!!

seaninsa
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,528 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Feb 01, 2017 12:41 as a reply to WildImages's post |  #30

It is referred to as R2D2. It is very difficult to get to know as the superstructure is collapsing on the ship that it is in.

sponsored links

11,774 views & 4 likes for this thread
Truk Lagoon
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Underwater Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.