Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Medium Format Digital Cameras and Backs
Thread started 06 Dec 2014 (Saturday) 10:03
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

How much better is MedFormat digital?

Wilt
THREAD ­ STARTER
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,169 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Dec 24, 2015 08:20 |  #31

PhotosGuy wrote in post #17354155 (external link)
It used to be accepted that, as film sizes went up, lens resolution went down. Lots of lines/mm resolution just wasn't necessary, especially for 8" X 10" contact prints.
If I remember right, very good for 35mm was 110 lines/mm. For 2-1/4" it was about 80 lines/mm.

What you describe as 'very good' actually was the subjective 'superb'...'VG' was about 64 lp/mm. Only the exceptionally best of 135 format lens could achieve 120 lp/mm on film, like a rare Zeiss deisign. Now, with 50MPixel sensors we are seeing 240 lp/mm (5500 LP/PH) in photozone.de with the Canon 35mm f/1.4

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links
Wilt
THREAD ­ STARTER
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,169 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Dec 24, 2015 08:28 |  #32

RedCatPhoto wrote in post #17349943 (external link)
Very nice post Tarek. I am new to medium format but I can already confirm everything you said. I will try to make comparisons (same shots) with the H5D, 5D3 and A7R.

Have you ever gotten around to taking identical shots on the three cameras (Canon, Sony, Hassy) so we could see a direct comparison of zoomed in sections of the frame?

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

elitejp
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Jan 05, 2016 10:36 as a reply to post 17325332 |  #33

I think its great that as a canon shooter we have some workarounds but I'm not sure who would have the last laugh. The guy who spent extra money to by a Sony camera that doesn't need to do any post processing (or very minimal) or the canon guy who needs to spend 5 minutes plus per pic to get it to look like a Sony pic?

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

idkdc
Goldmember
2,799 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Jan 05, 2016 12:30 |  #34

elitejp wrote in post #17845356 (external link)
I think its great that as a canon shooter we have some workarounds but I'm not sure who would have the last laugh. The guy who spent extra money to by a Sony camera that doesn't need to do any post processing (or very minimal) or the canon guy who needs to spend 5 minutes plus per pic to get it to look like a Sony pic?

The ef? I thought people spend extra time post-processing to make Sony and Nikon to make colors and tones look like a Canon. Source: I've owned Nikon and Sony cameras (same sensors). Nikon/Sony had more latitude in post before the 5DSR generation. If anything, Canon doesn't spend much time in post (I prefer greater latitude, and it's why people shoot Log for video for getting better tonality in post-production) at the expense of not having as much latitude.

1DIII through 1DXII(2) | 5D2-4 | 5DS | 8-800mm
XT2 | 16-140mm

elitejp
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Jan 05, 2016 17:38 |  #35

Lol, I was referring to crchemists post about using Fiji to get rid of low iso noise and banding. As for color tones from my understanding each brand does it a bit differently and you just need to learn the style of whatever your using.

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

idkdc
Goldmember
2,799 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Jan 05, 2016 17:42 |  #36

elitejp wrote in post #17845972 (external link)
Lol, I was referring to crchemists post about using Fiji to get rid of low iso noise and banding. As for color tones from my understanding each brand does it a bit differently and you just need to learn the style of whatever your using.

Oh, gotcha. I totally haven't read this thread in a long while and lost the context. My bad.

1DIII through 1DXII(2) | 5D2-4 | 5DS | 8-800mm
XT2 | 16-140mm

sponsored links

12,248 views & 6 likes for this thread
How much better is MedFormat digital?
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Medium Format Digital Cameras and Backs

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.