Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk
Thread started 07 Dec 2014 (Sunday) 06:23
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

STICKY: ADDING IMAGES TO GALLERY: IF YOUR GEAR/EXIF IS NOT THERE?

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,238 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by Pekka with reason '1.1. installed'. 2 edits done in total.
Dec 07, 2014 06:23 |  #1

Let me make this absolutely clear, this seems to be a subject that needs clarifying:

You are required to enter camera, lens (if not fixed lens camera), ISO, shutter speed and aperture in order to be eligible to adding the image to your gallery.

From version 1.1 (updated 20th Jan.) ONLY CAMERA AND LENS ARE REQUIRED FOR GALLERY IMAGES.

If the camera or lens is not the gear database, pick one that is similar. Again: if you do not find the gear, pick something that is similar.

ALL THE METADATA CAN BE EDITED LATER, TOO.

WHEN GEAR IS ADDED TO THE DATABASE, I WILL ANNOUNCE WHAT HAS BEEN ADDED. YOU CAN THEN CORRECT THE GUESSES IF YOU WANT AND ADD IT TO YOUR GEAR LIST.

You will not be not punished for guessing.

Of course we strive for accuracy of the data, being anal and picky photographers, but in this case I trust that we know that 50 1.4 or 50 1.8 is not a crucial error, 50 1.4 instead of 600 f/4 might be a noticeable. Your call.

The requirement to add this simplest metadata is all for good of the members. Having images connected to gear is highly educational for newbies, especially as it is all searchable and connected to reviews, member info etc.

I will make more use of the metadata database for members in many useful ways. AMASS makes stats of that data constantly even if that is not visible in the pages yet: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/metadata​_totals.php

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 1.4 Changelog (installed here now)

sega62
755 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by sega62.
Dec 07, 2014 14:11 |  #2

"You will not be not punished for guessing"

Gee, I feel safer now! :p

Martin ­ Dixon
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
Ealing
Dec 08, 2014 04:44 |  #3

Still feeling uncomfortable about using incorrect data on this database. Especially unlisted gear, including home made efforts.

flickrexternal link Editing OKexternal link

John_N
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
Mansfield, UK
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by John_N.
Dec 08, 2014 14:00 |  #4

Martin Dixon wrote in post #17319955external link
Still feeling uncomfortable about using incorrect data on this database. Especially unlisted gear, including home made efforts.

Ditto, especially when theres not yet a category (ie Olympus lenses or mirrorless bodies)

flickr (external link) (magsnorton)
: Google+ (external link) : My Site (external link) : 5oopx (external link)

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
Joined Jan 2007
DFW Metro-mess, Texas
Dec 09, 2014 15:43 |  #5

sega62 wrote in post #17318640external link
"You will not be not punished for guessing"

Gee, I feel safer now! :p

John_N wrote in post #17320854external link

Ditto, especially when theres not yet a category (ie Olympus lenses or mirrorless bodies)

During the early part of beta testing, I somehow felt guilty or dishonest about entering incorrect metadata, but it was mostly due to some OCD-like characteristics that demands high standards of honesty from photographers. But, at the same time, we "improve" an image by sharpening, twiddling bits to enhance colors and dynamic range, along with "creative" adjustments because we are artists in many respects.

Given the present dilemma, here are several choices when metadata is not automatically added to the image:

• Lie like the Devil and wallow in guilt knowing that we did it just so that the image could be added to the gallery. :twisted:
  • Lie like the Devil and feel no guilt when adding the image to the gallery. :twisted:
  • Find the metadata if still available and enter it manually so that the image can be added to the gallery. :rolleyes:
  • Choose to not add the image to the gallery. :-)

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

3,859 views & 1 like for this thread
ADDING IMAGES TO GALLERY: IF YOUR GEAR/EXIF IS NOT THERE?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.