Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews
Thread started 07 Dec 2014 (Sunday) 15:56
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Nikon D700, reviewed by Bob_A

TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND Bob_A (showing now: Bob_A)
Overall Rating9.5
Overall Image Quality9
Value for Money9.5
Must Have9
Suitability to Intended Use10
Got What I Expected10
AF Performance9.5
Handling and Ergonomics9
User-interface8.5
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for detailed specs and sample photos.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Nikon D700

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2005
Alberta, Canada
Post has been last edited over 3 years ago by Bob_A. 5 edits done in total.
Dec 07, 2014 15:56 |  #1

The Nikon D700 is the camera that enticed me to jump from Canon to Nikon back in January 2009. I wanted a more general purpose full frame camera with pro level AF for shooting a bit of sports and was disappointed with the specs of the 5D MKII.

This camera continues to impress me. Frankly, if Nikon produced an identical camera with the D750 sensor and AF I'd probably buy it. Until they do I'll stick with the D700.

Pros:

• Good weather sealing
  • Rugged construction
  • Separate AF-On button for back-button focus (which I use for all my shooting). I want a camera with separate AF-ON and AE-L buttons.
  • X-sync of 1/250s (1/320s FP)
  • 1/8000s shutter speed
  • Uses CF cards
  • Even after all of these years the sensor is still really decent when compared to what is currently on the market
  • AF is excellent with a ton of options to tune it to what you require
  • Auto ISO implementation works excellent

Cons:
  • Only 12MP
  • The live view implementation is poor (good thing I only used it when testing the camera :-P )
  • No video ability
  • Would like an additional slot that accepts SD
  • I understand that the Nikon tilt-shifts have an interference problem with the top of the camera (don't have one so I've never tested it out)
  • Some complain about the location of the button for changing ISO

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

sponsored links
smythie
I wasn't even trying
Joined Jun 2009
Sydney - Australia
Dec 23, 2014 05:36 |  #2

Bob_A wrote in post #17318807external link
  • Some complain about the location of the button for changing ISO

I'm one of those. Fortunately the AutoISO implementation works really well and you don't need to use the ISO button.

I really liked mine while I had it and as an inexpensive entry into Nikon FX, it doesn't get any better

Gear List

Bob_A
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2005
Alberta, Canada
Dec 24, 2014 01:38 |  #3

smythie wrote in post #17347161external link
I'm one of those. Fortunately the AutoISO implementation works really well and you don't need to use the ISO button.

I really liked mine while I had it and as an inexpensive entry into Nikon FX, it doesn't get any better

If I changed ISO a lot I'd probably be a complainer too, but for the way I shoot it's really not that much of a bother. Agree that the D700 has a really decent auto-ISO implementation. I haven't used it a ton, but it did the job very well when I did.

Bob

condyk
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
20,886 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Birmingham, UK
Dec 28, 2014 04:38 |  #4

I'm a massive fan of the D700 and just bought another one for 1/5th the price I paid for my first pre-release. Amazing abilities and stuff is just there and just works! I've never thought about the ISO button. Seems to be in the place it needs to be, at least for me. I just tried the body with the Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART and truly wonderful apart from the lens weight, but I like to travel light generally. 100% agree on the SD slot need. I had a couple of D300s and the duel slots really makes a difference. Having up/back-graded to the D700 I miss it and also have a handful of SD's doing nothing now. If anyone is wondering about a £500-800 newer body then check out the D700 - I'd go for one again (and again). Hard to beat that FF look.

http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​203740

NewphotoMan
Joined Apr 2009
Westchester, NY
Jan 28, 2016 16:23 as a reply to condyk's post |  #5

I ran a 5d2 since it came out and loved it to death!! Before getting married i needed to save some cash and i was not shooting a lot at the time so i sold off my canon gear besides my 135L. In 2014 i purchased a D700 and was still amazed on the IQ of the camera and also the Autofocus, i can literally do anything i need to with this camera, running a couple different lens but still holding onto my 135L for the chance i may swing back over to canon.

Alex
Nikon D4, Tamron 24-70 SP 2.8, Nikon 85mm 1.8G, Tamron 70-200 f2.8 G2, Nikon SB700
Alexcarraquillophotogr​aphy.com
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/37823589@N05/ (external link)

Bob_A
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2005
Alberta, Canada
Jan 29, 2016 15:55 |  #6

NewphotoMan wrote in post #17876718 (external link)
I ran a 5d2 since it came out and loved it to death!! Before getting married i needed to save some cash and i was not shooting a lot at the time so i sold off my canon gear besides my 135L. In 2014 i purchased a D700 and was still amazed on the IQ of the camera and also the Autofocus, i can literally do anything i need to with this camera, running a couple different lens but still holding onto my 135L for the chance i may swing back over to canon.

It's true that they do have a few holes in an otherwise excellent lens line-up.

Bob

sponsored links

3,311 views & 2 likes for this thread
Nikon D700, reviewed by Bob_A
FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.