Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Accessories
Thread started 07 Dec 2014 (Sunday) 22:20
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Lens adapters for using non-Nikon lenses on Nikon DSLR's

baj2k
Joined Dec 2011
SF Bay Area, NorCal
Dec 07, 2014 22:20 |  #1

Being new to Nikon I was wondering what other lenses can be used on Nikon cameras that were made for other cameras. What adapters do you use? I know Canon lenses are out of the question but what about Contax-Yashica, Minolta, Pentax Leica, Olympus OM, Rollei, etc. with an adapter. I had some very nice non-Canon mount lenses I used to use on my 5DmkIII and I'd like to try the same on my new D810.

I posted here instead of the lenses sub-forum because I'm really looking for recommendations on quality brand adapter(s) that others have used before, mainly M42 or C/Y to be specific, with their Nikon cameras.

Nikon D810 | Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm f/2.8 | Nikon AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED, AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC , 85mm f/1.4 AS UMC, 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM | Canon Speedlite 580EX II | Yongnuo YN-565, YN-560-II

seres
580 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Dec 08, 2014 00:52 |  #2

Nikon has a long flange focal distance, so I don't know of any other brand lenses that will fit, except for the older "T-mount" lenses with the specific T-mount adapter. But they will all be manual focus, manual exposure, manual everything.

—Eric

RobKirkwood
Goldmember
1,124 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Nottingham, UK
Dec 08, 2014 05:02 |  #3

There's a good list of camera flange distances hereexternal link - you'll see Nikon is way down the list, but in theory anything further down the list than Nikon could be adapted to fit Nikon AND retain infinity focus.

I have a cheap M42 adaptor (bought on ebay) that works fine mechanically, but I lose infinity focus - in fact with a Helios 135mm f2.8 M42 lens I can't focus much beyond 18-20 feet or so.

Rob

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
9,959 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Dec 08, 2014 11:54 |  #4

Don't bother. You can't adapt other formats to the F mount without replacing the lens mount itself. The good side is that there are many Ai and AIs nikon lenses for cheap too. Try the Vivitar series and Tamron adaptall lenses.

One Imaging Photographyexternal link and my Flickrexternal link
Facebookexternal link

2,364 views & 1 like for this thread
Lens adapters for using non-Nikon lenses on Nikon DSLR's
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.