Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 11 Dec 2014 (Thursday) 12:24
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Nikon to Canon lens adapter recommendation?

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Dec 11, 2014 12:24 |  #1

I'm excited to have my new 6D...I'm loving shooting with it, though I haven't had a lot of time to spend with it yet.

My situation currently is that my wallet is almost empty now so no new lenses are on the horizon at the moment. :( I do have a 50mm 1.8 MKI, a 28-75mm Tamron, a 100mm macro, and the lowly 70-300mm kit lens so I have enough glass to keep me occupied and keep me from playing in the middle of the street. :lol:

Something else that I have are several Nikon vintage lenses that I would like to try out but I will need an adapter or two to use them. First thing...these adapters work ok with the 6D, don't they?....naturally I don't want to damage my 6D in any way so I don't want an ill-fitting adapter. Ebay sellers offer a large variety of adapters but I'm not sure if they're equal in quality. I was wondering if some of you could point a seller out to me that you've purchased an adapter from and whether that adapter worked good or not. Focus confirmation would be nice, but not completely necessary.

Thanks for your feedback!!!
Ed

www.beeweather.comexternal link

sponsored links
lilkngster
Joined Sep 2010
NJ
Dec 13, 2014 20:56 |  #2

I've tried various manufacturers and prices of both Nikkor and Contax C/Y, except for the really expensive ones.

I like the cheapies, so each lens can have their own. What I've noticed is that both the cheaper ones (<$20) and the moderate ones (up to $50-60) have some variability manufacturing QA. I have not tried the ones that go for over $100-200.

The most important thing is having one of the correct thickness so you do not lose infinity focus, if you need it. I think the manufacturers in general err on the side of focusing past infinity.

There are a few types of attachment mechanisms for adapter to lens. I've noticed that sometimes they fit nice and snug while others might have a little rotational give. It doesnt change the adapted flange distance, but can feel weird when you can rotate your lens a few degrees.

Connecting adapter to camera is pretty easy. Everyone that I have has a red dot that lines up.

My recommendation is to get a few adapters and test them out and find the best one. Out of the 5 Nikon to Canon adapters I used, one is is perfect, 2 are very acceptable, 1 rotates too much for my comfort and is used so I can use a EF rear lens cap, and 1, the spring mechanism to lock the lens broke.

I only tried the Dandelion focus confirmation once and it didnt really work. For you 6d either get a matte focusing screen (Eg-S) or use magic lantern with focus peaking or use live view and zoom in.

80d and 1dIII|lenses from 8 to 400mm

btweller
213 posts
Joined Nov 2011
Hickory Hills, IL
Dec 13, 2014 23:12 |  #3

I have two Nikkor lenses...a 50mm f/1.2 and a 24mm f/2. I received a non AF-confirm adapter when I bought the 50, but I quickly ordered this Fotodiox adapterexternal link w/ the Dandelion AF confirmation chip. The first one I received fit great, but the dandelion chip didn't work on my 7D (but worked on my 50D)...I exchanged the faulty adapter for a new one and the AF confirm worked on both bodies.

I've subsequently bought a 6D and it works on that body as well. The fit on the replacement adapter was much looser than the first adapter, but I was able to address that by placing a scotch tape shim on the top of the adapter (the side that mates to the back of the lens). Once I laid down a layer of scotch tape, the fit was nice and snug. I've had that adapter for a couple of years now and haven't had any issues with it...the non AF-confirm adapter lives on my 24mm now.

As lilkngster mentioned, the Eg-S matte focusing screen is well worth the price for fast manual focus primes. I don't find it to be terribly helpful on the 24mm f/2, but on the 50mm f/1.2 (which I usually shoot at f/2), it makes focusing MUCH easier. Between the Eg-S screen and the AF-confirm on the adapter, I feel quite confident shooting that lens...I've shot a corporate event with that lens and my keeper rate was excellent.

Hope this helps.

Mike ­ Deep
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2008
Tampa, FL
Dec 14, 2014 07:53 |  #4

Most adapters can be tightened up by inserting a blade or flathead screwdriver into the slot in each bayonet flange. That's usually item #1 when I receive new adapters. Shimming or shaving runs the risk of fouling the mount or mirror box with FOD, and may decenter the lens.

Re: infinity focus... Every adapter I've used thus far has allowed the lens to continue focusing just past infinity. I haven't done any checks for centering (No micrometer on hand).

www.mikedeep.comexternal link | SportsShooterexternal link

koala ­ yummies
Joined Oct 2008
Los Angeles
Dec 14, 2014 10:45 |  #5

Mike Deep wrote in post #17331436external link
Most adapters can be tightened up by inserting a blade or flathead screwdriver into the slot in each bayonet flange. That's usually item #1 when I receive new adapters. Shimming or shaving runs the risk of fouling the mount or mirror box with FOD, and may decenter the lens.

Re: infinity focus... Every adapter I've used thus far has allowed the lens to continue focusing just past infinity. I haven't done any checks for centering (No micrometer on hand).

I noticed this too. Opening up that bayonet flange can really tighten up the mount and eliminates the #1 complaint with the affordable adapters, that 'there is too much play'. Especially since almost all are used as manual focus only and any play can be felt during precision turning of the focus ring.

I've used a no-name ebay adapter, and didn't really like it. I've also used a Cinevate (available from B&H), and though more expensive it is only marginally better in quality but I occasionally still use it. I haven't tried, but have heard good things about the Fotodiox linked above.

Now I use Leitax mount conversions, http://www.leitax.com ...ns-for-Canon-cameras.htmlexternal link it screws on to the original lens mount (no disassembly, just removing the original lens mount's screws and putting in new ones). It's not the cheapest option but still much less expensive than the outrageously priced Novoflex adapters. And they can still be removed and adapted to another lens without any permanent changes.

Leitax also has a little plastic template that you can use to see if an adapted lens will hit a mirror on a 5D or 6D, but there is already a lot of information around the web on what lenses work with what bodies so you should be able to find someone else who has tried whatever lens you're looking at adapting.

I forgo focus confirmation chips though, but they can be added to most of these adapters.

flickrexternal link

lilkngster
Joined Sep 2010
NJ
Dec 14, 2014 18:46 |  #6

Re: the bayonette flange, thanks all. Had no idea and it worked!

80d and 1dIII|lenses from 8 to 400mm

btweller
213 posts
Joined Nov 2011
Hickory Hills, IL
Dec 14, 2014 19:46 |  #7

lilkngster wrote in post #17332679external link
Re: the bayonette flange, thanks all. Had no idea and it worked!

Thanks from me as well...I had never noticed that little slot.

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Dec 15, 2014 09:04 |  #8

Thanks for the feedback, everybody. I ended up ordering a couple of these: lens adapter EMF AF confirm Nikon AI to Canon EOS EF - seller Lengrilexternal link. Hopefully they will work well, it appears that they are possibly a 2nd(?) generation AF chip...we'll see.

Ed

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jan 10, 2015 11:08 |  #9

Well, it's three days past the latest delivery date that is stated by eBay. I looked at the shipment status and it appears that the package has made it to Chicago...I figure the two adapters will be here next week.

Ed

sponsored links

1,650 views & 0 likes for this thread
Nikon to Canon lens adapter recommendation?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.