Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews
Thread started 16 Dec 2014 (Tuesday) 13:53
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon EOS 50D, reviewed by lilkngster

TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND lilkngster (showing now: lilkngster)
Overall Rating7.5
Overall Image Quality7
Value for Money9.5
Must Have7
Suitability to Intended Use7
Got What I Expected8.5
AF Performance7
Handling and Ergonomics7.5
User-interface7.5
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for detailed specs and sample photos.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Canon EOS 50D

lilkngster
Joined Sep 2010
NJ
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by lilkngster.
Dec 16, 2014 13:53 |  #1

Quick review based on my ratings and why. 5 is an I don’t care, 1 is really negative, 10 is really positive.

Overall Rating 7.5. Considering it is a few generations behind in almost everything except body build quality, I am still a fan. The only big negative for me is the ISO limitations, especially in 2014, but I know not to bring it when I know higher ISOs are needed.

Overall Image Quality 7.0. If framed properly and exposed correctly, IQ is very good. Not as forgiving compared to newer technology.

Value for Money 9.5. I got it used, for really cheap.

Must Have 7.0. Really depends where you are coming from. It is a “must have” for someone on a smaller budget coming from the more consumer offerings, who needs some pro like features, build, fps, AFMA, and AF points. I would also add that it is a “strongly consider” if you have a 5dc and want a complementary crop, as they share batteries.

Suitability to Intended Use 7.0. Still does what it was intended for, prosumer sports/wildlife camera. There are better cameras for this, but they are more expensive.

Got what I Expected 8.5. I did my research before purchasing.

AF Performance 7.0. Outdated but still very functional + AMFA. I came from a t2i and a 5dc so having peripheral f/2.8 points and ability to adjust AF was a nice upgrade.

Handling and Ergonomics 7.5. Fits well, balances nicely with lenses that I have including 400 f/5.6 and 70-200 f/2.8.

User-interface 7.5. Earlier generation of the current menu system. I like it much better than the 5dc scroll up and down for everything.

THM:

I picked this up on a whim. I wanted peripheral f/2.8 focusing points and amfa on the cheap and this fit the bill. Price/functionality is one of the strong points these days. Magic Lantern opened up RAW video (without sound)

80d and 1dIII|lenses from 8 to 400mm

1,304 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon EOS 50D, reviewed by lilkngster
FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.