Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch
Thread started 16 Dec 2014 (Tuesday) 17:36
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Good Bye Gray Market?

bigcountry
Goldmember
4,476 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Louisville, KY
Dec 16, 2014 17:36 |  #1

Canon has released a statement on the state of gray market. If they will not service gray market any longer then there could be some trouble ahead.

I would say they are getting pressure from the big boys (Adorama, BH, etc) on the gray market issue.

From the release:

Customers should also be aware that Gray Market Products may not be eligible for:
• coverage under a U.S. warranty;
• U.S. promotions, including mail-in and instant rebates; and
• technical support

More here:

http://www.usa.canon.c​om ...2.14.pdf?WT.mc_id=C​126149external link

Louisville Kentucky Wedding Photographerexternal link
Travel the World and Photographexternal link
Find me on Facebookexternal link

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Dec 16, 2014 18:01 |  #2

if Canon is going to hold resellers accountable for strict MAP standards they have a responsibility to help police the grey market.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Moppie
14,715 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2004
Akarana, Aotearoa. (Kiwiland)
Dec 16, 2014 18:02 |  #3

they said the same thing here several years ago.
it has little to do with supporting the retailer and more to do with each region maintaining their profit margins.

it doesn't really work here though as we have very strong consumer protection law.

flickrexternal link

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

bigcountry
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,476 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Louisville, KY
Dec 16, 2014 18:18 |  #4

All MAP pricing is what they can publicly post the price as.

They can sell it privately for whatever they want.

IShootThings
I thought I was special.......
2,028 posts
Joined May 2009
North Cali
Dec 16, 2014 19:14 |  #5

I'm thinking the authorized retailers are getting hurt by companies like 6th Ave who just sold a ton of gray market 5d3s for way under MAP. I don't think it's much of a coincidence that the prices on the top Canon products dropped and now they release this statement about gray market items...

Canon 5D3, Canon XTI (IR converted), 24-70 f2.8L, 16-35 f4L, 50 1.4, 70-200 f2.8L, 100 2.8 macro, 430 ex & 580 exII speedlights.

bigcountry
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,476 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Louisville, KY
Dec 16, 2014 19:41 |  #6

Ishootthings, i bet you are very accurate in your post.

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2012
Gloucester Co. NJ
Dec 16, 2014 19:55 |  #7

It will be interesting to see how this will all play out. Nikon simply will NOT service any grey market items whether you offer to pay for the service or not.

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,159 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Wilt.
Dec 16, 2014 20:06 |  #8

bigcountry wrote in post #17336594external link
Canon has released a statement on the state of gray market. If they will not service gray market any longer then there could be some trouble ahead.

I would say they are getting pressure from the big boys (Adorama, BH, etc) on the gray market issue.

Uhhh...I hate to break it to you folks, but outfits such as B&H are ACTIVELY involved in the importation and sales of goods not imported by Canon USA!

Here is what B&H web site says on the topic

"About USA and Imported Products
Items marked "USA" are imported and/or distributed by the manufacturer or the manufacturers official licensed importer/distributor and are warranted by them. Items marked "Imported" are imported and/or distributed by other entities and are warranted by B&H Photo-Video. "Imported" products do not qualify for manufacturers rebate programs. There is no difference in the item itself."

"The terms "grey market", "direct import", and "Imported", refer to the same thing in this article. B&H sells most products with a warranty from the manufacturer or from the manufacturer's licensed importer. We also sell some products we've obtained from sources other than the manufacturer or its licensed importer. These are "grey market" products. "Grey market" is not illegal, not factory seconds, not demo merchandise, not cheaper or inferior products. In fact in almost every instance a "grey market" product is absolutely identical to its US-warranted counterpart. "Grey market" and US-warranted products are manufactured in the same factories from the same components, and sub-assemblies, to the same specs and tolerances, by the same workers. In terms of the item itself (excepting PAL video -- see below) there is no difference at all. A "grey market" Nikon 50mm f/1.4 D-AF lens (for example) is exactly the same in every possible way as the US-warranted version.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

WaterBoy2090
Joined Jun 2014
Sydney, Australia
Dec 16, 2014 20:30 |  #9

ptcanon3ti wrote in post #17336755external link
Nikon simply will NOT service any grey market items whether you offer to pay for the service or not.

Hardly an endorsement for Nikon; obviously those super duper sensors aren't meant for travel photography!

I understand not honouring international local warranties, but to not support your own products based on country of purchase is commercial fracticide.

I experienced a similar situation with Sony nearly 20 years ago; haven't bought a single Sony product since, and don't intend to anytime soon either.

7D Mark II
10-18 f4.5-5.6 is, 24-70 f2.8L II, 70-200 f2.8L is II, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L is II, TC1.4, & 430EX II

bigcountry
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,476 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Louisville, KY
Dec 16, 2014 21:00 |  #10

BH may bring a lot of gray market, but if canon doe has a way to distinguish them from the intended U.S. Market goods and won't service them a la' Nikon USA, then who in their right mind will be purchasing gray market items?

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2012
Gloucester Co. NJ
Dec 17, 2014 06:46 |  #11

bigcountry wrote in post #17336843external link
BH may bring a lot of gray market, but if canon doe has a way to distinguish them from the intended U.S. Market goods and won't service them a la' Nikon USA, then who in their right mind will be purchasing gray market items?

I question the same thing of Nikon products. But there are MANY vendors on ebay selling Grey nikon stuff, so somebody must be buying it. I wouldn't.

Paul
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Pa
Dec 17, 2014 11:08 |  #12

It says: MAY NOT not WILL NOT.

Customers should also be aware that Gray Market Products may not be eligible for: • coverage under a U.S. warranty;

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

tmalone893
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2006
Memphis, TN
Dec 17, 2014 12:57 |  #13

The deal is also that the Gray Market prices are lower than most used USA warranty items. If you buy used, you aren't getting a warranty anyway unless the seller passes on the receipt. As far as the ebay sellers, BigValue, GetItDigital, etc... most say they will handle any repairs via a third party vendor. To me that means someone is repairing these cameras.

Name: Theron
MaxPreps Profile (external link)
My Gear

flickr (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/theronmalone/ (external link)

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2012
Gloucester Co. NJ
Dec 17, 2014 13:14 |  #14

tmalone893 wrote in post #17338000external link
The deal is also that the Gray Market prices are lower than most used USA warranty items. If you buy used, you aren't getting a warranty anyway unless the seller passes on the receipt. As far as the ebay sellers, BigValue, GetItDigital, etc... most say they will handle any repairs via a third party vendor. To me that means someone is repairing these cameras.

Yah true....it could be BillyBob in his dad's basement. Where are they getting parts? Are the parts genuine Nikon or Canon parts?

Paul
Body - Nikon D750

tmalone893
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2006
Memphis, TN
Dec 17, 2014 13:16 |  #15

ptcanon3ti wrote in post #17338032external link
Yah true....it could be BillyBob in his dad's basement. Where are they getting parts? Are the parts genuine Nikon or Canon parts?

True, but does it matter as long as it works. Thousands of cars on the roads today have parts that aren't "genuine" but they still move down the road.

Name: Theron
MaxPreps Profile (external link)
My Gear

flickr (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/theronmalone/ (external link)

sponsored links

2,579 views & 0 likes for this thread
Good Bye Gray Market?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.