Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 17 Dec 2014 (Wednesday) 10:12
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Review WOW!

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,093 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Dec 17, 2014 14:36 |  #16

I just got a call from my store. They have one for me and will be shipped tomorrow. Looking forward it.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links
GeoKras1989
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2014
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by GeoKras1989.
Dec 17, 2014 17:42 |  #17
banned

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17337651external link
Dismal grey day, Ive had it only for 60 minutes, so more to come. (Might get to the beach today)

However for right now, I have two things to say about this lens.

@ 10:12am this morning my new 100-400 arrived at the exact same time as my new (used) 200mm f/2L IS.
Needless to say I started the day playing with the 200mm, however as of right now the only thing I am posting about is the 100-400mm. Do the math!

This lens is the fastest most accurately focusing lens I have had opportunity to shoot. On the 1D4 and 5D3 side by side in my backyard right now it is mopping the floor with the otherwise amazing 200mm f/2L! Quicker, quieter, and more confident. In fact the assertion with which this lens snaps into correct focus is absolutely unequaled. I've never seen anything like it. Going from near infinity on a distant house peak to the tree 3 feet in front of me offers ZERO hunt, just the brief blur as it travels from all the way out to nearly all the way in and solid perfectly accurate lock.
It is absolutely faster than the 400mm f/5.6L prime.
It also bested the 200mm f/2 indoors in low light for af speed and lack of hunting on both 1D4 and 5D3.

Folks, I did not believe it was possible for a zoom to focus so fast and confidently. Canon has really made some significant improvements with the MkII designs.

There will be more, I have more now but I don't want to post anything but the most important thing right now (as seen above) until I have the full story.

Thanks, Jake!

I have been happy with the IQ of my old 100-400L. Now I find out that the IS is better, the MFD is 3' and now the AF is smokin' fast AND accurate on version II. Where am I going to get $2,200? Please send me a check, immediately! :)

Seriously, it seems like Canon hit a home run with this one. Enjoy your new (& used) lenses.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,910 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Dec 17, 2014 17:52 |  #18

Can Pekka enable a setting where sny mention of this lens is blocked? I cant go there right now.

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
47,712 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Dec 17, 2014 18:14 |  #19

First post updated with an actual review. Some images added. More to come when I get the chance.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
47,712 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Dec 17, 2014 18:18 |  #20

Submariner wrote in post #17338080external link

When you say it focuses faster than anything you had before; I am trying to equate the speed - to say my 70-200 F2.8 L USM II. ...

This is a good question. I have NOT used the new MkII of the 70-200mm beyond in a store, likewise my experience with the 70-300mm L is limited. My impression is that it is faster than the 70-300mm for sure based on my limited experience with that lens. For the 70-200mm MKII Id have a harder time saying based on my simple recollection. I just did not get the chance to get wowed by that lens shooting it in B&H ;)

What I have owned and there fore used a lot, is in my gear list in my sig.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Park ­ Ranger
Joined May 2012
Dec 17, 2014 19:25 |  #21

Looks like it is going to be easier than I thought to sell my 400 f:/5.6. Wow! Amazing review. Many thanks Jake!!
Now if B&H would get in gear and start shipping.
James

jeetsukumaran
Joined Apr 2007
Dec 17, 2014 19:26 |  #22

As far as the push-pull-one-touch vs. turn zoom, when the tension ring is at the lowest setting the v2.0 supports* both ;)

* "supports" being defined as "can be done", not necessarily "advisable to be done". Would be great if we were able to check with Canon if the latter were true. If so, that would be a fantastic resolution of the push-pull vs. turn dilemma!!

Gallery: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jeetsukumaran/ (external link) Website: http://jeetworks.org/ (external link) Canon 6D, Zeiss Distagon T* 2.8/21, EF 24-70 f/2.8L II USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM II.

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
47,712 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.
Dec 17, 2014 19:45 |  #23

Unfortunately with my copy, this is not so. The tension is far too tight.

Trust me, I don't care what Canon says, if it worked Id do it for sure!

Perhaps it will loosen up, but a day old it's so tight there is no use for the tension ring as the lightest setting is tighter than most zooms I've used.

Hutersdad, a member here, said about the same. So we have at least two examples with this same result.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Dec 17, 2014 19:45 |  #24

jeetsukumaran wrote in post #17338581external link
As far as the push-pull-one-touch vs. turn zoom, when the tension ring is at the lowest setting the v2.0 supports* both ;)

* "supports" being defined as "can be done", not necessarily "advisable to be done". Would be great if we were able to check with Canon if the latter were true. If so, that would be a fantastic resolution of the push-pull vs. turn dilemma!!

But according to the lore, push-pull sucks in dust.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
47,712 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Dec 17, 2014 19:52 |  #25

Archibald wrote in post #17338611external link
But according to the lore, push-pull sucks in dust.

The lore is wrong. Sorry I will never stop arguing this.
Rotation or pulling, the same elements move in the same way. If the lens lets in air (and dust) as the length changes, dust gets in either way.

My own 100-400mm was with me in the most arid dusty environment I've ever been for three weeks as a daily shooter. (Namibia and Bostswana during the dry season, Etosha, a dry salt barren, everything is covered in dust) The 100-400mm was no more dust prone than any of my zoom lenses.

I still have that lens, have had it since 2004, It's been with me in 8 countries on 3 continents, and it is spotless.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

jeetsukumaran
Joined Apr 2007
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by jeetsukumaran. 5 edits done in total.
Dec 17, 2014 19:58 |  #26

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17338608external link
Unfortunately with my copy, this is not so. The tension is far too tight.
Perhaps it will loosen up, but a day old it's so tight there is no use for the tension ring as the lightest setting is tighter than most zooms I've used.

Hutersdad, a member here, said about the same. So we have at least two examples with this same result.

Hmm. Interesting. I just tried it again, and, while it is locked pretty solid at the tightest setting, at the loosest setting it definitely can be pushed and pulled without too much force. To give an idea of the force needed to push/pull, I originally discovered it by accident when trying to casually remove the hood without pressing the hood unlock and rotating first. No excessive or force anything, just a light tug.

At the loosest setting there is (as yet) no creep in either direction when the lens is resting vertical, but a sudden inertial change (e.g., holding the lens facing down, moving it down at a moderate speed, and then suddenly stopping the movement) does cause the lens to extend just a little. At the tightest tension, there is no movement whatsoever. And no push/pull either.

As far as the "day old" thing goes -- mine is older .... by a FULL day :) :) :)! I've hardly used it (rain, here too), so I don't think it is a wearing-in thing. But time will tell.

EDIT: Here is someone else with the same experience: http://www.dpreview.co​m/forums/post/54937485external link .

So it is 2 for the "dual" mode an 2 for the "single" mode setting now. Would love to see more numbers from other folk to figure out if I am dealing with a feature or a bug!

Gallery: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jeetsukumaran/ (external link) Website: http://jeetworks.org/ (external link) Canon 6D, Zeiss Distagon T* 2.8/21, EF 24-70 f/2.8L II USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM II.

jeetsukumaran
Joined Apr 2007
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by jeetsukumaran. 2 edits done in total.
Dec 17, 2014 20:18 |  #27

So as far as the autofocus speed goes ...

As can be figured out from my gear list, and some "bro-photographers" disdain for such in this forum non-withstanding, I tend to have used manual focus a lot more than auto (landscape and close-ups being my thing), so I do not have the best experience from which judge the AF.

But I will say the AF on my copy of the 100-400 II does not seem that much better than, say, my 70-200 f/4L IS, in relatively normal indoor lighting (i.e., dim compared to a sunny day). It gets the focus on decent high contrast targets pretty well. But in dimmer lighting on low contrast targets it does not do so well. No hunting or anything: it gets it right on the first pass. But none of that "blur-and-snap". More of a long, drawn-out, slide to a stop. Like one of those swiss tram cars pulling up a mountain: smooth and steady, but slow and strained at the same time. I suspect this is more to do with my camera body (6D) rather than the lens per se, but just thought I would mention it.

Timphoto
Creme de la Curmudgeon
Joined Apr 2008
Milo's Meadow - Bloom County
Dec 17, 2014 20:53 |  #28

Thanks a lot Jake. :rolleyes: Before I read your review, I *had* myself talked out of buying the MK-II version of this lens.  :p

Tim

Flickr external link

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Dec 17, 2014 21:16 |  #29

Got the 100-400mm II this afternoon. Here is my duck shot. It is a fairly severe crop (about 33% of the frame horizontally).

Is it sharp?

7D2, 100-400mm II at 400, 1/320 at f/8, ISO 200, hand-held.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,093 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Dec 17, 2014 21:38 as a reply to Archibald's post |  #30

The new thing here is the eyeglasses. Our max size used to be 1024 on the long side but I noticed your image was 1280. Is a larger size OK now with the new site? I have not real checked into it but I have been clicking on the glasses to view.

I hope don't mind that I ran it through my action as I was curios as you are because they are shipping mine tomorrow. I kept the crop size the same and just got rid of some outer stuff to stay within size.

IMAGE: http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d74/Zenon1/sss_zps988578e6.jpg

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links

1,536,532 views & 15654 likes for this thread
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Review WOW!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.