Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Dec 2014 (Wednesday) 10:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Review WOW!

lijoec
580 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2009
Post edited 8 months ago by lijoec.

Aug 06, 2017 16:57 |  #6391

still need work on my bifs, but here is my first close to keepers.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4437/35601488963_6c27fa7d25_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/WeYW​ke  (external link) IMG_0643 (external link) by Joseph Colozzo (external link), on Flickr

and a candid portrait

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4369/36272671531_865013a623_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/XghV​wt  (external link) IMG_0616 (external link) by Joseph Colozzo (external link), on Flickr

Cheers,
Joe
"Image Editing OK"

sponsored links
Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
13,373 posts
Gallery: 1799 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited 8 months ago by Pondrader. (2 edits in all)

Aug 07, 2017 16:23 |  #6392

bidkev wrote in post #18420746 (external link)
So how was your success rate in mode 1 Jeff?

Honestly Kev I think mode 1 works great. about every shot that was worth taking looks good and passable. Its been raining so much Im thinking of looking for a 2.8 ver of something just to get a little speed. Just got home from a 4 day tour so ill be whining like a school girl about the noise and clarity in a bit lol. we had big rain and tornado's super close.. thats the kind of weather we are having right now.
Just stepped out on the deck to find the Blue jays molting. O and mode 1

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jeff ........7D Mark II, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

bidkev
Goldmember
4,353 posts
Gallery: 1854 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2013

Aug 07, 2017 16:57 |  #6393

Pondrader wrote in post #18421595 (external link)
Honestly Kev I think mode 1 works great. about every shot that was worth taking looks good and of passable. Its been raining so much Im thinking of looking for a 2.8 ver of something just to get a little speed. Just got home from a 4 day tour so ill be whining like a school girl about the noise and clarity in a bit lol. we had big rain and tornado's super close.. thats the kind of weather we are having right now.
Just stepped out on the deck to find the Blue jays molting. O and mode 1
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Pondrader in
./showthread.php?p=184​21595&i=i195914383
forum: Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

That's a relief Jeff. I was thinking, "what if Jeff switches to mode 1 and has less success than he's been having?" I'd hate to be the instigator of missed opportunities.

I'm just about to spend a few hours in the wetlands nearby as my bursitis has eased enough to allow me to lift the combo. It's a little bit of the wild completely surrounded by suburbia.
There's a big buck red kanga hiding in there with his mob so hope to get something different to the birds...............a kingfisher shot will go down well though :lol:

See my fishy photography here: https://kevindickinson​fineartphot.smugmug.co​m/Tropical-Fish-2/ (external link)
Olympus E-M5 gripped | Olympus OM-D E-M10 gripped | Olympus OM-D E-M10 mkll gripped | Olympus Zuicko 12-40 2.8 pro | 40-150 | 75-300 |45mm 1.8 | 17mm 1.8 | 60mm 2.8 macro | Lots of analog gear

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,828 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 07, 2017 17:01 |  #6394

lijoec wrote in post #18420757 (external link)
still need work on my bifs, but here is my first close to keepers.
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/WeYW​ke  (external link) IMG_0643 (external link) by Joseph Colozzo (external link), on Flickr

and a candid portrait

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/XghV​wt  (external link) IMG_0616 (external link) by Joseph Colozzo (external link), on Flickr

I like shooting those birds in fight. Gotta work a little harder. More of a challenge - except in a headwind lol.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Pondrader
13,373 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited 8 months ago by Pondrader.

Aug 07, 2017 17:12 |  #6395

bidkev wrote in post #18421630 (external link)
That's a relief Jeff. I was thinking, "what if Jeff switches to mode 1 and has less success than he's been having?" I'd hate to be the instigator of missed opportunities.

I'm just about to spend a few hours in the wetlands nearby as my bursitis has eased enough to allow me to lift the combo. It's a little bit of the wild completely surrounded by suburbia.
There's a big buck red kanga hiding in there with his mob so hope to get something different to the birds...............a kingfisher shot will go down well though :lol:

well good luck.. and yo tell me if its ok or not. I left it on mode 1 all weekend. and I hope I did ok. I was in the rain shooting this guy

HOSTED PHOTO

flickr (external link)

lijoec
580 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 07, 2017 17:14 |  #6396

digital paradise wrote in post #18421638 (external link)
I like shooting those birds in fight. Gotta work a little harder. More of a challenge - except in a headwind lol.

I'm just learning bifs, but those terns turn on a dime. LoL. Two somewhat keepers out of 50, not good odds. It's fun anyway.

Cheers,
Joe
"Image Editing OK"

Pondrader
13,373 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 07, 2017 17:25 |  #6397

It did manage to hit focus a few times

HOSTED PHOTO

flickr (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,824 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 07, 2017 18:48 as a reply to  @ post 18418665 |  #6398

Only about a third of the time.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,824 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 07, 2017 19:04 as a reply to  @ post 18418667 |  #6399

I wish I knew which of my "Body Parts" were/are stable!

For reference I am an overweight 58 yr old diabetic with arms like matchsticks! Add in three lots of eye surgery on my "Camera Eye" (1 x Cataract and 2 x detached Retina) and I think you get the picture?

You may want to add in the 40 yrs of heavy smoking (Finally given up! :-P) and lots of Rum! My idea of weightlifting is the bar - on it's own! Though, to be fair, I have done a lot of "Offhand" rifle shooting in the past - it doesn't help with the weight but it sure helps with timing!

Just having a giggle, but all the above is true, so if I can do it then most others can too with a little practice and tuition?

Incidentally the Canon Rep didn't believe me either until he did it! Though he was using a 500 Mk2. and a 5D4 = wimp!:twisted:

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,824 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 07, 2017 19:12 as a reply to  @ post 18418739 |  #6400

I did post some images a while back taken with my 100-400 Mk2 and 7D2 + 1.4 Mk3 extender at 1/50 sec and the vote went for the shot without IS (note they were consecutive shots). However this is the exception!

I do have difficulty hand holding the 100-400 Mk2 steady and use the IS mode 3 when shutter speeds get below 1/400 or 1/500 sec. I put it down to the balance and lack of weight? Whether I am right or wrong is irrelevant - IS Mode 3 works well with this lens for me and I don't argue with results! On my other lenses I have no use for IS.

Just me:lol:

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,824 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 07, 2017 19:23 as a reply to  @ post 18418892 |  #6401

Certainly!

I checked (visually) whether he looked more steady placing his left hand under the lens foot and bracing his left elbow against his torso or rotating the lens foot out of the way (which I prefer) and just going free hand. He got better results by using the lens foot as a grip and bracing against his torso - different to me but whatever works!

Remember my ideas/opinions on IS are just what I have found to be the best for me - many agree and many disagree! I am just trying to get other photographers to venture outside the perceived rules and hopefully get better results - as I have. If you don't like IS off then just turn it back on and call me a Looney;-)a But you might like it?

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,824 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 07, 2017 19:26 |  #6402

EEK! That was a lot of posts for me!

Been off to the home country (Ireland) for a few days so I was just catching up.

Pondrader
13,373 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 07, 2017 19:41 |  #6403

johnf3f wrote in post #18421761 (external link)
I wish I knew which of my "Body Parts" were/are stable!

For reference I am an overweight 58 yr old diabetic with arms like matchsticks! Add in three lots of eye surgery on my "Camera Eye" (1 x Cataract and 2 x detached Retina) and I think you get the picture?

You may want to add in the 40 yrs of heavy smoking (Finally given up! :-P) and lots of Rum! My idea of weightlifting is the bar - on it's own! Though, to be fair, I have done a lot of "Offhand" rifle shooting in the past - it doesn't help with the weight but it sure helps with timing!

Just having a giggle, but all the above is true, so if I can do it then most others can too with a little practice and tuition?

Incidentally the Canon Rep didn't believe me either until he did it! Though he was using a 500 Mk2. and a 5D4 = wimp!:twisted:

lol too funny, I will say I know my human body is the cause of the trouble so I float the camera away from my shaky human body as much as possible.

HOSTED PHOTO

flickr (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,824 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 07, 2017 19:46 as a reply to  @ Pondrader's post |  #6404

Nice one!

Note all that I posted is true - got an appointment to see if the cataract in my left eye can be sorted. Fingers crossed for the 14th!

Pondrader
13,373 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 07, 2017 20:09 |  #6405

johnf3f wrote in post #18421825 (external link)
Nice one!

Note all that I posted is true - got an appointment to see if the cataract in my left eye can be sorted. Fingers crossed for the 14th!

here's hoping.. Getting older sucks, Ive decided to take matters into my own hands. I stopped smoking so long ago I don't know how long its been, right now I do 10 to 15km a day walking and have lost 27 lbs since January. I figure if you can quit smoking.. you can do about anything.

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,970,024 views & 19,541 likes for this thread
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Review WOW!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.