Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases
Thread started 21 Dec 2014 (Sunday) 06:45
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Recommendations for a Photographers Vest/Jacket Please

PCousins
Joined Nov 2014
Weston-Super-Mare (UK)
Dec 21, 2014 06:45 |  #1

I would like to see members recommendations for a photographers vest. I currently have a Alpinestars CPS Canon one which I have owned for a few years. Its excellent, has many pockets and can take a spare camera body, a couple of large lenses, my 1.4 & 2x extenders, phone, filters and many other bits and pieces. It allows me to have both hands free and not have to carry bags or backpacks. I’m looking for a new one without the brand names on them. The one I currently have causes too much attention. Its ok when I go to air shows or motocross events because everyone wears them but outings in the woods or other not so crowded events I would like something a bit more discreet. I’m looking for a good quality one.

Please if you copy some links for me to follow up on that would be very much appreciated. I live in the UK so do not really want to import from overseas and pay import fees/taxes delivery charges. Thank You.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Gear List

sponsored links
Luckless
Goldmember
3,040 posts
Joined Mar 2012
PEI, Canada
Dec 21, 2014 11:37 |  #2

Do you like that vest? If the branding and logos are drawing attention then why not just order some custom patches/name tapes to sew over them instead?

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Lucklessexternal link

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Dec 21, 2014 12:20 |  #3

How about a used Eddie Bauer vest?
http://www.ebay.com ...rwear&hash=item2eda​c13398external link

Yno
860 posts
Joined Jan 2008
San Jose, California
Dec 21, 2014 12:31 |  #4

http://www.tiffen.com ...ame=domke&itemnum=7​33-003external link

You didn't mention a budget, and this one is not cheap, but is available in the UK, is practically bulletproof, holds lots of stuff, and doesn't have big patches with camera company names.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
www.imawino.comexternal link

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007
Sussex, UK
Dec 21, 2014 13:12 |  #5

I use vests from Country Innovationexternal link. Again, not cheap. But they have some vital attributes often missing from the competition. For me the most important are the padded shoulders and the collar - both help prevent painful rubbing/pressure from straps.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Websiteexternal link

PCousins
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2014
Weston-Super-Mare (UK)
Dec 21, 2014 14:02 |  #6

I'll make a decision after the Christmas/New Year period. My budget is up to £120. I'm liking what I see so far. Thank you for your recommendations.

Gear List

koala ­ yummies
Joined Oct 2008
Los Angeles
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by koala yummies. 2 edits done in total.
Dec 21, 2014 16:26 |  #7

The Humvee Safari vest is a personal favorite. It's the same vest that used to be sold around here as the "POTN photo vest" (with a potn patch sewn on).

It can comfortably carry a lot. I use mine all the time. Can fit a 70-200/2.8, 300/4, water bottle, handheld radio, and yet another telephoto in the back pocket plus numerous other stuff in the smaller pockets (small primes, teleconverter, memory, caps, notepad etc).

http://campco.com ...-L+++++++++++&BrandID=H​MCexternal link

I own two (khaki, multiple colors available), Campco, Amazon and ebay sellers (new) are good sources.

Some links:

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com ...ari_Photo_Vest_Larg​e.htmlexternal link

http://campco.com/Prod​ucts.aspx?BrandID=HMCexternal link

Usually around ~$40-50.

flickrexternal link

Vince792
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jan 2015
Jan 08, 2015 18:25 |  #8

Hey @PCousins,

Are you maybe interested to sell your old CPS Alpinestars vest..

I had mine for years, quite similar to this one - but I think that mine was a older model, unfortunately I have ripped it in the shoulder area..

However, if you are interested to sell it, please PM me!

And yes, my recommendation for you would be a Ogio flight west, I am using one right now - and love it, also lots of pockets.. A big plus point goes to it's hydration system (a special compartment for a hydration bladder).. And to me it looks more durable then the CPS Alpinestars one

nqjudo
Goldmember
2,674 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Canada
Jan 08, 2015 18:29 |  #9

I have a Scottevest travel vest that I use for photography when I'm on the road. It is actually a great vest for airline travel as well. They have a lightweight model for warmer climates. My only gripe with them is that they are pricey.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

PCousins
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2014
Weston-Super-Mare (UK)
Jan 08, 2015 19:20 |  #10

Vince792 wrote in post #17372988external link
Hey @PCousins,

Are you maybe interested to sell your old CPS Alpinestars vest..

Hi Vince, Thank you for your interest in my CPS vest and for the Vest recommendation. I am a CPS Gold member. I do not want to sell my Alpinestars vest. The CPS version of this vest is as rare as hen's teeth. I will on occasion continue to wear it at air shows where I will not feel awkward as there are hundreds of people wearing vests with brand names.

As a day to day vest I've just recently ordered a Tamrac vest from Amazon. I hope to receive it early next week. (see link)

http://www.amazon.co.u​k ...=1-1&keywords=tamrac+vestexternal link

I realised latter I had another vest which I use to wear made by Domke. I would say this is the best one. Unfortunately It is a XL size when really I am a XXL size. I ate to much over the Christmas period and I could do with loosing some weight before I am able to get back into it comfortably.

I have investigated all the recommendations made to me and would like to thank everyone for their help.

Gear List

CanonCameraFan
Goldmember
1,583 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Annapolis Maryland
Jan 08, 2015 20:05 |  #11

i suppose I'm a few hours late for this thread, but your mention of being more discreet immediately brought to mind a Photo Jacket made by Manfrotto if I recall correctly. I saw them a couple years ago in a Calumet store and found them to look nothing like Photo garments I was used to. Extremely high quality and Expensive ($250-300+ USD), but very stylish. Something worth looking into for future reference.

I'd imagine it is available on the UK site...

http://www.amazon.com ...ield-Jacket/dp/B004RCNS0Gexternal link

EOS 7D w/BG-E7 (3), 550EX (3), 430EX II, Sunpak 622 Pro, Vivitar 285HV, Opteka 6.5mm/3.5, Canon EF-S 24/2.8 STM, Canon EF 50/1.8 STM, Canon EF 100mm/2.0 USM, Canon EF 70-300mm/4-5.6 L IS USM, Quantums 1 & 1+, Tamrac 614 Bag & 787 Backpack, Crumpler 7 MDH, 6 MDH
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/johnebersole/se​ts/ (external link)

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,450 posts
Joined Feb 2007
Back in the 757
Jan 28, 2015 20:04 |  #12

I found a Domke one at a thrift shop for $10 which is a no-brainer. I wear it to all my outdoor events like festivals, marathons, and the such. Really great, holds everything and add some cargo pants and you're set to not have any bags for anything. I carry my 7D, 30, 85, and 11-16. I have and can carry my 70-200 as well along with a 430EX in pockets so it doesn't have to be attached. Just sayin'. It's great!

Last Shot Photography
My Siteexternal link ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

col_ccc
45 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Feb 05, 2015 23:25 |  #13

Have an older Canon vest.

HOSTED PHOTO

Chris

sponsored links

3,963 views & 0 likes for this thread
Recommendations for a Photographers Vest/Jacket Please
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.