Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses > Lens Sample Photo Archive
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd of February 2006 (Thu)   #1
Gary W. Graley

Default Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX DC HSM

I had a copy of this lens for a day, short I know, but wasn't too impressed with the images, but I think there were some focusing issues. Right now my camera is in the shop for a tune up and I'm willing to give that Sigma another chance but would like to see some images from you folks.

Thanks in advance!
G2

Umm..He's Sick, My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Ferris pass-out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious……
Gary W. Graley is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of February 2006 (Thu)   #2
JohnnyBlood
User is banned from forums

Default Re: Let see some Sigma 30mm f1.4 shots

It's a great lens...

You can see the rest of my Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC shots here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/latitud...sigma30mmf14dc

Last edited by JohnnyBlood : 23rd of February 2006 (Thu) at 20:38.
JohnnyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of February 2006 (Thu)   #3
Gary W. Graley

Johnny, those are very nice, I'm sold, I think that I'll go ahead and order one, I have read of the troubles that may come, but if I keep on trying I can eventually get a proper one!
Thanks so much for posting those images!
G2

Umm..He's Sick, My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Ferris pass-out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious……
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of February 2006 (Thu)   #4
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me

After the pain of this most recent purchase, I think I'll seek out that lens. It looks good and the HSM would be very nice compared to Canon's 2.0 non-USM version.
Old 23rd of February 2006 (Thu)   #5
Skippy29

Ditto.
I love mine, it's a great lens, especially for $400. Gives my friend's $1200 35L a run for it's money.
Old 23rd of February 2006 (Thu)   #6
JohnnyBlood
User is banned from forums

Keep in mind, I suspect all of this talk about a certain % of the lenses being bad has more to do with operator error than it does with the lens. This lens, like most fast lenses, is a bit tricky to focus when wide open. I can't say that mine front focuses like some have said, but you really need to know what you want focused, especially when up-close and personal with the subject matter. It takes a little practice, but when it is all said and done it's a very good (and fun) lens.
JohnnyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of February 2006 (Fri)   #7
wintoid

This was the shot I was happiest with during the time I had mine. I sent it back due to focus issues on objects over 6 foot from me.

This was at f/2.2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2357_small.jpg (72.4 KB, 32835 views)

Simon
wintoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of February 2006 (Fri)   #8
kaitanium
Goldmember

ack i would get this but thinking towards the future a 28mm canon would be better at roughly the same cost. garuanteed compatibility (no rechipping) and full frame capabilities at the cost of a slightly lower speed. maybe those reasons could sway you =P
kaitanium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of February 2006 (Fri)   #9
nadtz

Just a messing around shot (chicago is cold and I dont like it). Only had the lens a week or so, but I do love mine on my 350D so far.

http://www.badtz.org/uk/IMG_1622-01a.jpg
nadtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of February 2006 (Fri)   #10
dave_bass5
Goldmember

mine are just snaps compared to the ones above but it is my favorite lens at the moment.
This was shot at f/1.4 hand held

This was f/1.6

this at f/3.5

And this was at f/9.0
Canon 5DMKIII |Canon 650D | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | Canon 70-200 f/4L IS | 135L f/2.0 | 100 f/2 USM |40 f/2.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Canon S110 | Fuji F31FD | Canon 580EXII, 270EXII | Yongnuo YN-622C Triggers.
dave_bass5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of February 2006 (Fri)   #11
Gary W. Graley

Thanks guys, looks good, nice shots!
And I did think about that 28, just something about an f1.4 that draws me though Went ahead and ordered it, if it has problems, I'll send it to Sigma to sort out and get it back, as I've read that once they buggered with it a bit, they seem to work straight away better...I do hope this one is good from the get go though!
G2

Old 24th of February 2006 (Fri)   #12
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me

Looks like a real cracker of a lens...
Old 24th of February 2006 (Fri)   #13
dave_bass5
Goldmember

I dont know how it is in the USA but here in Uk Sigma also want you to send the camera body to them so they can callibrate the lens to it. seems a lot of hassle really especialy if you have more than one body so i never got around to sending mine, i think i have got the hang of using it. mine is fine although i thought i had problems but i think it was just me.
good luck with the lens
Canon 5DMKIII |Canon 650D | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | Canon 70-200 f/4L IS | 135L f/2.0 | 100 f/2 USM |40 f/2.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Canon S110 | Fuji F31FD | Canon 580EXII, 270EXII | Yongnuo YN-622C Triggers.
Old 24th of February 2006 (Fri)   #14
Gary W. Graley

Dave, when I had the last one, I called Sigma and they said to send it in for a look see, but since I only had it a day at most I sent it back to B&H, and at that time I went ahead and picked up the 24-105L, sold a few other things in order to fund that purchase but for low light I think that I'll give this another swing, B&H just emailed me that it's shipping today, so I should have it maybe Tuesday next week, and Canon said they would be shipping my camera today, so both may arrive at the same time, a good thing!
G2

Old 24th of February 2006 (Fri)   #15
dave_bass5
Goldmember

Thats good news Gary. Good luck and dont forget to post some pics.
Im quite happy with mine now. to be honest i think all the talk of the problems with the lens made me paranoid.