Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews 
Thread started 30 Dec 2014 (Tuesday) 17:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)
TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND ltd1982 (showing now: ltd1982)
Overall Rating10
Overall Image Quality10
Value for Money10
Must Have10
Suitability to Intended Use9
Got What I Expected10
Ownership Status: "previously owned"

Click here for sample photos and more info.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM, reviewed by ltd1982

34 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Apr 2010
Dec 30, 2014 17:33 |  #1

Of all the many (many, many) lenses that I've owned, borrowed, or rented over the years, this is probably the only one that I really regret selling. It was so incredibly sharp, focused so consistently (despite only being f4), and was such a good price even purchased new, it's difficult to believe.

Until the 70-200 f2.8 IS II came out, this was my go to telephoto zoom, being both sharper and lighter than the original f2.8 IS.

Used mainly for portraits and sports, I will probably end up buying this lens again in the near future.

Some of the shots I took with this lens can be seen here (external link).

IMAGE LINK:​9c  (external link) 174/365 (external link) by .WFJ (external link), on Flickr

1,429 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Jan 03, 2015 22:42 |  #2

If it wasn't for my 135L, the 70-200 f/4L IS would easily be the best lens that I own, and it's certainly more useful than the 135L. On a full frame body it's a great choice for taking pics of the kids at the park or playing outdoor sports. It's also pretty good for wildlife pictures on a crop body as long as you can get pretty close and your subject is fairly big. I've always thought about getting a 70-200 f/2.8 at some point, but with newer bodies allowing higher ISO to be used I wonder if a faster lens would really be necessary, and I'm sure the additional size and weight of an f/2.8 zoom would make me think twice about lugging it around.

Gear -- Flickr (external link)

spooky ­ action
291 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2014
Jan 08, 2015 13:33 |  #3

I love mine. I find myself using it over other lenses that would probably be more appropriate given focal length, setting and subject. THE AF is so fact and accurate. If I'm outside, unless I'm shooting a landscape, it doesn't leave my rebel. To the 135 F2, everyone says the same thing: it's their absolute favorite lens. I have to try that sometime.

D810 - 24-70 f/2.8G ED - Zeiss 2/135 APO Sonnar

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,277 views & 1 like for this thread
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM, reviewed by ltd1982
FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews 
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.