Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews
Thread started 30 Dec 2014 (Tuesday) 23:57
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Nikon D750, reviewed by golden1245

TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND golden1245 (showing now: golden1245)
Overall Rating10
Overall Image Quality10
Value for Money10
Must Have10
Suitability to Intended Use10
Got What I Expected10
AF Performance10
Handling and Ergonomics10
User-interface10
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for detailed specs and sample photos.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Nikon D750

golden1245
168 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Bay Area, California and Charlotte, NC
Dec 30, 2014 23:57 |  #1

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8651/16143218161_1b00eca7e7_o.png

http://crashcoursephot​ography.com/nikon-d750-review/ (external link)

Hello everyone, long time no talk on this forum for me. I recently acquired a Nikon D750 and wanted to share my thoughts on it as a long time Canon user. I wrote an article about my experience with a a lot of example photos so that you can see what type of quality images this camera produces. The ergonomics and color curves/tones of the photos are slightly different between the two brands and I hope this write up will help anyone who is thinking about making the switch. It's not meant to be an in depth review, more a general user and shooting experience.

http://www.crashcourse​photography.comexternal link
Check out my equipment review and how-to articles on this site :)
http://www.ollyyung.co​mexternal link
Personal work!

sponsored links
eli2055
56 posts
Joined Feb 2013
Jan 03, 2015 08:54 |  #2

As a nikon D610 user, i considered upgrading to the 750. I rented it and tested it indoors over a long weekend. THe low light
capabilities are impressive, but i was not impressed by the lack of an af-on button. To back button focus, you have to adapt the ae-l/af-l button and that button on the 750 is pushed toward the viewfinder in what i found to be an uncomfortable position. Granted,
that has to do with the size of my hand (medium) and what is comfortable for me. I find the 610 more comfortable.
I liked the low weight of the 750 and the autofocus system is a significant improvement to that on the 610. However, the 750
is NOT as ergonomically comfortable and well-laid out as the 810, which felt perfect in my hand. I found the grip on the 750
a bit disappointing as well since it left little room between the lens and my hand.

I am a nikon user who finds canon colors more pleasing to my eye - especially skin tones. Therefore, i await the upgrades to the 6D
and the 5Dmark III before deciding what to do. As a hobbyist, i don't need the 810's enormous files, nor the 5DIII's expense.
It will be expensive to sell my Nikon equipment, and that is whay I was disappointed with the 750. I had hoped it would solve
my conundrum - and it did not.

DutchinCLE
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2012
Jan 03, 2015 09:08 as a reply to eli2055's post |  #3

May I ask what it is about the D610 that makes you want to upgrade?

Bas
Flickrexternal link

eli2055
56 posts
Joined Feb 2013
Jan 04, 2015 20:08 |  #4

Not thrilled with the focal points being grouped so closely together; would like back button focusing without adapting the Af-l/ae-l button; a bit disappointed in skin tones, especially when comparing them to those produced by my friend's mark III. I also had a service issue with the lens mount cracking internally, but sustained arguing and working myself up-the-ladder finally got Nikon to cover the cost as a "one time only complementary service" but therefore not under warranty.
Of course, i knew about the centering of the 39 focus points prior to purchasing the camera so that was my decision, but one that i have some regret about when i get tired of focusing and recomposing or a moving subject gets blurred out of focus. The 610 is overall a fine
full-frame entry camera, but, yes, there are better cameras produced by both Nikon and Canon.
I will repeat that the 810 felt perfect in my hand, but i don't have the desire and skill to deal with those large files.
Last: when my kids were young, i enjoyed my nikon (film) camera. It was smaller, lighter, and so enjoyable to use. I guess i would like to get that ergonomic, user-friendly feel again. SO, i am looking - at the 750, at mirrorless (sony A7II?), and, other systems. having
said that, i am not telling anyone that the 610 is a bad choice. It is a fine camera, with limitations that can be worked around.

DutchinCLE
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2012
Jan 05, 2015 05:25 as a reply to eli2055's post |  #5

Thanks for the detailed reasons
Bas

Bas
Flickrexternal link

idkdc
Goldmember
2,799 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Jan 21, 2015 14:47 as a reply to eli2055's post |  #6

Thanks, found your posts very helpful.

1DIII through 1DXII(2) | 5D2-4 | 5DS | 8-800mm
XT2 | 16-140mm

GESWhoPhoto
36 posts
Joined Sep 2017
St. Augustine, FL; USA
Sep 27, 2017 15:47 |  #7

This makes me happy to have just picked one up!

V/r, Garrett
Current Equipment:
- Nikon D750 | Nikon D3400 | Nikon MB-D16 | Nikon SB-700 | Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD | Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 VR | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 | Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 DX | Nikkor 18-55mm kit | Nikkor 70-300mm kit |

sponsored links

3,338 views & 0 likes for this thread
Nikon D750, reviewed by golden1245
FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.