Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 03 Jan 2015 (Saturday) 20:12
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

masters degree in photography

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,546 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Jan 03, 2015 20:12 |  #1

Recently ran across this 'job' posting..

....Having a Master's (or higher) degree in Photography is a must since this is a very highly technical requirement. Please do not apply unless you have at least a Master's degree in Photography. ....

I did a quick google search and did not find any universities in the US that offer a master's degree in photography. Perhaps it is something new that I am too old for?

Gearlist

sponsored links
AlFooteIII
Joined Jul 2013
New York City
Jan 03, 2015 20:26 |  #2

http://mfaphoto.school​ofvisualarts.edu/external link For instance

Specializing in Theatrical Photography. See my work at:
www.alfoote3photograph​y.com/external link
www.facebook.com/alfoo​te3photographyexternal link

nqjudo
Goldmember
2,679 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Canada
Jan 03, 2015 20:28 |  #3

I know a couple of people who have degrees in film, video and photography from the Polytechnic of Central London but unfortunately I believe the school no longer exists.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,020 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Jan 04, 2015 01:11 |  #4

Google 'Masters Photography' and you will find a number of places that offer that degree, including the reknown Brooks Institute and Rochester Institute of Technology

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by airfrogusmc.
Jan 04, 2015 10:08 |  #5

RISD
Art Institute of Chicago
Columbia College Chicago

These are just 3 of hundreds. If you want to teach photography at a college or university full time you will need an MFA which is more than a Masters.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Jan 04, 2015 14:52 |  #6

kenwood33 wrote in post #17364647external link
Recently ran across this 'job' posting..

....Having a Master's (or higher) degree in Photography is a must since this is a very highly technical requirement. Please do not apply unless you have at least a Master's degree in Photography. ....

I did a quick google search and did not find any universities in the US that offer a master's degree in photography. Perhaps it is something new that I am too old for?

graduate degrees in photography? kinda like getting a PhD in plumbing

number ­ six
"After 40 years still not housebroken, I still piddle on the carpet"
8,892 posts
Joined May 2007
SF Bay Area
Jan 04, 2015 15:01 |  #7

watt100 wrote in post #17365929external link

Uh, oh! You're sure gonna step on somebody's tail with that remark!  :p

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash
I do not piddle on the carpet!

Luxx
462 posts
Joined Jan 2013
St Louis
Jan 04, 2015 15:10 |  #8

[ducks and waits]

Snafoo
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
Peculiar
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by Snafoo. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 04, 2015 16:02 |  #9

number six wrote in post #17365948external link
Uh, oh! You're sure gonna step on somebody's tail with that remark!  :p

I think he succeeded in simultaneously insulting photographers AND plumbers. ;-)a

FWIW, I could see a museum curator of photography requiring a Ph.D., or a Masters at minimum.

http://www.jonstot.com​/ (external link)

airfrogusmc
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Jan 04, 2015 16:26 |  #10

No big surprise. To many today in the west argue for ignorance. No wonder we keep falling farther and farther behind others that put a real value on knowledge.

advaitin
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2003
The Fun Coast of Florida
Jan 04, 2015 17:10 |  #11

As a student, but a very experienced student because I had been shooting quite a while and working for newspapers as a photographer, with one year at the the technical school photography program in Daytona Beach, I had an employer who had recently finished his masters at Rochester. This fellow could probably make developer out of a can of coke and refined dirt, I mean he had learned all the formulas and many ingredients. He had studied color--had a complete understanding of the color wheel. Definitely more knowledgeable about light than Ansel Adams (because he said so). He hired me to do the general shooting for instructional slides and the scut-work printing in the darkroom, plus keeping all the chemicals fresh.
The guy only came into the darkroom for a couple of projects, say a portrait of the dean of the nursing school, who was his boss. And he was meticulous. He must have done 20 test strips to get the exact shade of gray or black before he began to print seriously.
When left to myself to print, I used a light meter with a density head, my own property, made an 8x10 or 5x7 basic flimsy print, studied it for a minute, then printed the full-size print, burning or dodging as my eye suggested. Kodak had a couple of very informative guides and exposure wheels that I also used. Then I read or studied for a while and gave him the print when I had consumed enough time that he felt I followed his lead in producing superior work.
I was hired for a semester, but I had interviewed for a photo job with the Dept of the Army a couple of months after I started. They wanted me to start right away, but I had to give the school two weeks notice. The guy with the Masters was taken aback. "You are going to a job that pays as much as I'm getting, that can't be right."
Daytona State College still teaches photography, the credit is transferred to the University of Central Florida where they offer a B. S. degree and a MFA in Digital media.

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Jan 04, 2015 20:17 |  #12

I'm with you there. Having taken a gander at the curricula of some schools and considering the current state of 'academics', the only thing one of these degrees are good for is lining some school's pockets.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

airfrogusmc
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by airfrogusmc.
Jan 04, 2015 20:48 |  #13

Well, there is a long list of great photographers that were well educated and many of those also taught photography on the college level.

A graduate degree in art or photography is really for self growth as an artist and should be approached as such.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Jan 05, 2015 05:22 |  #14

I would love to be able to take a graduate degree in photography. There are so many things about photography that I would love to lean about in a formal setting. Composition and colour being two of them, that I feel particularly weak on. The fact is that a good undergraduate degree course will be structured to offer a full range of course units across the whole field of photography, you are thus pushed to lean stuff that otherwise you would not normally bother with.

The other advantage of a formal setting is that the institution offering it will be able to offer you access to equipment that might otherwise not be available to you to simply have a try with. Add to that the feedback of faculty that are hopefully doing some level of research on top of teaching undergrads.

Unfortunately my health would preclude going back to full time education at higher level, even if I could fund it. I was lucky to get through my undergrad degree in Electronic Engineering, having been diagnosed with M.E. three months into my first year of the course. I was a mature student after spending nine years in the RAF as an Air Defence Radar Technician.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

AlFooteIII
Joined Jul 2013
New York City
Jan 05, 2015 06:50 |  #15

airfrogusmc wrote in post #17366468external link
Well, there is a long list of great photographers that were well educated and many of those also taught photography on the college level.

A graduate degree in art or photography is really for self growth as an artist and should be approached as such.

It's also a necessity for jobs in academia, museums or high-end galleries, and the like. Much like other fine arts degrees, it won't make you a better artist, but it will give you exposure (pardon the pun) to ideas and concepts you might not find on your own which would help you to teach others.

Specializing in Theatrical Photography. See my work at:
www.alfoote3photograph​y.com/external link
www.facebook.com/alfoo​te3photographyexternal link

sponsored links

3,165 views & 5 likes for this thread
masters degree in photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.