Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 04 Jan 2015 (Sunday) 18:14
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Self Repairs

The ­ Fox
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca
Jan 04, 2015 18:14 |  #1

I recently had to take apart my 7D to repair an issue with the lock switch on the back. I called Canon which luckly I am extremely close to(15 mins away) but to have the work done by this coming Thursday would be a rush and have a massive charge to clean the contracts on the switch. I got it apart and back together but I was wondering if anyone else has had to take apart gear to get it fixed for time or budget reasons? I have taken apart flashes, lenses and now a camera to repair it and save me a few hundred dollars.

Nick

"I work from awkwardness. By that I mean I don't arrange things. If I stand in front of something, instead of arranging it, I arrange myself" -Diane Arbus
7D Gripped x2 | 50D Gripped | 17-50mm F2.8 | 35mm F1.4 | 50mm F1.4 | 85mm F1.8 | 70-200mm F4L IS |

sponsored links
bsmotril
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2006
Austin TX
Jan 04, 2015 19:26 |  #2

I take apart and restore film cameras all the time, usually Canonet Rangefinders. I do it for profit though.

Gear List
Galleries: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/smopho/external link --- http://billsmotrilla.z​enfolio.com/external link

2ndviolinman
344 posts
Joined May 2011
Jan 04, 2015 20:00 |  #3

I've taken apart simple manual focus lenses to clean, and one crappy Samyang 14mm to adjust the flange distance, but no electronic or zoom or floating element mechanisms. No bodies recently, other than a trip into a Pentax 6x7 to mess with the chains for the meter coupling and replacing the rear viewfinder optic in a Pentax 645. With all the information available on line now that was not available then, if I could find a video or other good instruction and the parts, I would at least consider doing it.

Hair springs and tiny ball bearings freak me out though. If you know they are there, fine, but the ones that fly across the room before you even see them...

I always weigh the cost of possible failure against the likelihood and cost savings of success. That's why I haven't done anything hard.

David
5Dc, 5Dii, Canon 16-35 f/4L IS, 40/2.8 Pancake, 85/1.8, 100/2.8 Macro, 135/2.0L, 200/2.8L, converted 35mm TS, Sigma 50/2.8 Macro, 70/2.8 Macro, Zeiss ZE 21/2.8, Zeiss Contax 28/2.8, 50/1.7 & 85/2.8, Jena 135/3.5, Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 APO, Canon 28-135.

shaftmaster
Goldmember
1,429 posts
Joined Nov 2008
above 5000 feet
Jan 04, 2015 22:49 |  #4

I took apart a 5D classic body because a screw had come loose and was shorting out the electronics. I've also taken apart and reassembled a jammed 35-80mm lens. If you do some research you can find service manuals for Canon gear online.

Paul

Gear -- Flickrexternal link

Blubayou
364 posts
Joined Oct 2012
Saratoga Springs, NY
Jan 05, 2015 10:41 |  #5

I've got a lens apart at home right now, as a favor to a family member who loaned it out (foolishly, in hindsight). The lens made its way around the country, and apparently brought home quite a few grains of sand internally as souvenirs.

I've had 2 others apart as well, one to clean the inside of a lens element and the other to address a sticking zoom or focus ring (can't recall which it was now), as well as a flash that had some issue. I have yet to disassemble a camera body, but a friend has a 5D II with a broken hot shoe, so that may come my way soon. I just finished installing new front and rear glass on his iphone over the weekend, too.

Sparky98
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2005
East Texas
Jan 06, 2015 22:14 |  #6

I took a lens apart once. It was an inexpensive lens and had something growing inside it so I disassembled the lens and cleaned everything up. I began reassembling the lens and dropped a really tiny screw that bounced and fell to the carpeted floor. I never did find the screw and finally just threw the lens away. I probably will never attempt a self repair again. However, if I had a proper work surface, the proper tools, and plenty of light I might try another repair but only on a camera or lens I could afford to throw away.

Joe
5DIII

stronics
54 posts
Joined Sep 2013
NE Ohio
Jan 07, 2015 17:59 |  #7

I bought a 28-135 that was loose in the front, a like new real piece of *&%$. I figured what else to do with it so I took it apart after studying the best I can about it. It took me three tries getting it back together before all was fine.
I won't do that again, I'll just send it back next time. I was never so disappointed in a product as I am with the Canon lenses, their loose, dust prone, soft and expensive.
David

ZoneV
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Germany
Jan 08, 2015 01:46 |  #8

I do some camera repair or modification as well.
Started some years ago with Contax and Yashica SLR cameras, a Canon AE-1 and A1, a Kiev 60, a Rollei 35 compact camera.
With DSLR I made for myself years ago a new system for infrared photography with different filtersexternal linkand bright viewfinder on a Canon EOS Rebel XT. After the mirror of my old EOS 5D fell out (nearly normal on this camera), I exchanged it with a 100% reflecting mirror for better DSLR manual focusexternal link- I do not need autofocus. I shortend the mirror a bit for better acceptance of more protruding lenses, like the Zeiss Contax 18mm. On a Canon EOS 1000D / Rebel XS I repaired the SD cardexternal linkslot.
Last thing was to repair a blown fuse in the EOS 5D DSLRexternal link.

I do a lot more with lenses, there I dont use and donĀ“t like to repair/modify zoom and autofocus lenses.
With manual primes I have done many things, starting with repairs like lens fungus cleaningexternal link (German language link), repair of delaminated lens groupsexternal link, Samyang 14mm f/2.8 focus scale / back focus distance adjustmentexternal link.

Going on with several lens mount conversions, like the Minolta Rokkor 58mm f/1.2 to Canon EOS lens mount conversionexternal link, or converting projection lenses for photographyexternal link.

And even with heavy modification of lenses, making something completely new:
Smooth bokeh lens modification with apodization filterexternal link
DIY Defocus Control like in the Nikon DC lenses for variable bokehexternal link
Building a cheap fast lensexternal link

DIY-Homepage (external link) - Image Gallery (external link) - Gear List

emi
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jan 2015
Jan 14, 2015 08:41 |  #9

Please let me know if I am posting in the wrong place here!

Hi, Does anybody know where I can find the service manual for my camera(Canon EOS 60D)? I dropped my Canon EOS 60D and the top info LCD broke(LCD bleed). Not the outside cover but the LCD inside. Similar to the situation in this link:

http://www.dpreview.co​m ...166?post=39136271&i​mage=0external link

I understood that I needed to replace it and it turns out to be rather costly to have experts do it. So I started research and have ordered the full top assembly + new top screen acrylic cover from ebay.

So the question is finding the procedure to replace it. I have found the Canon 60D Parts catalog here:
http://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=14843566#post14​843566

But if anyone could provide the Service manual that would be awesome!

And if not...Does anybody know if you have to take of bothe the front and the back to get the top plastic part off?

Norry ­ Rodgers
Joined Mar 2014
Ireland -> Just over there!
Jan 14, 2015 14:15 as a reply to emi's post |  #10

Hi emi.

Sorry to hear about the camera, but i guess it could have been much worse.

It looks as though the LCD panel is damaged under the cover, this can be be removed fairly easy with a fine trim tool, as it is only held in place with some adhesive around the black border.

Looking at the parts manual i would suggest that both the rear and top cover would have to be removed to gain full access to the LCD board assembly which is recessed under the case.

I have done something similar in the past to my trusty old 450 digital replacing the LCD panel, i did not have access to a service manual, so it really was a case of taking lots of pictures of the teardown to ensure it went back together.

Oh, and young children not being present helped too. :-)

Norry
'failure isn't about falling down, failure is staying down'
flickrexternal link

emi
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jan 2015
Jan 14, 2015 16:01 as a reply to Norry Rodgers's post |  #11

Thank you Norry, from studying it further and reading your comments I feel reasonably certain this is doable AFTER the two year old has passed out for the evening(good tip there sir). So now I just have to wait a month or so for the parts from China:-) Will try to remember to report back with results of this "adventure".

Cheers!

Nethawked
Joined Oct 2014
Virginia, USA
Jan 15, 2015 10:38 |  #12

This is a timely thread. The focus ring on my 70-300mmL seems to have loosened, I've considered diving in, finding resources and tightening it myself. If anyone has pointers or has done this in the past, any info you have would be appreciated. Thanks!

sponsored links

2,569 views & 1 like for this thread
Self Repairs
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.