Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Jan 2015 (Monday) 12:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN G-series Speed Challenge #516 - This ain't no snapshot

HWolf
243 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Oct 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by HWolf. (2 edits in all)

Jan 05, 2015 12:26 |  #1

Challenge #516 - This ain't no snapshot!

Apologies in advance, for the double negative. :) The G series started out as a high quality yet compact solution for folks wanting excellent image quality without all the bulk (and expense) of DSLRs. Since then, a lot of people have switched to cell phones for ultra-portable, high quality photography, but some still do it the "old fashioned way" using one of Canon's G series cameras. I think the G series can be much more than a snapshot camera, something few cell phones can aspire to. So let's see your non-snapshots; maybe images in studio, with lights and things, or a careful shot on a tripod, something you set up to do, instead of something captured on the fly. Let's see your interpretations on that theme!

To submit, click the button labeled 'POST TO THREAD' and put your Photo Title in the first line of the post, above your photo.
Don't forget your Camera Model.

Post until Monday noon GMT, 12th January 2015.

Photo Submissions

1. Camera -- Canon G-Series Camera G1, G2, G3, G5, G6, G7, G9, G10, G11, G12, G15, G16, G1X, G1X Mark II, G7 X and Pro1 only.
    -
  2. Time -- any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
    -
  3. Size -- photo must be no less than 800 pixels and no more than 1024 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.
    -
  4. Post-Processing -- do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
    -
  5. Posting --
    • One photo per photographer in each challenge.
    • Photo Title in the first line of the post.
    • Camera model.
    • EXIF data, if you like.

6. Commenting -- No commenting on photos by anyone, including the photographer. Once the winners are declared, photographers can add comments to their images and everyone is invited to discuss.
    -
  7. Photo Display -- Photos must appear in this thread to be eligible.
    -

Time

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
  • New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning.
  • Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
  • Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT
  • Winners Announcement ... As soon as possible, max. until Tuesday noon GMT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Click FOLLOW THIS THREAD in the top right of the challenge's thread page.
Notifications of new posts will appear below the POTN logo and the main links in the top of each forum page.
Note: Email notifications are not active at the moment, they will be available soon.
Pay attention to your PMs or 'Heads Up!' messages. This will allow the host, helpful members or moderators to contact you about winning or ineligible photos.
Thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Click this sentence for Hosting Rules and Winners List.

Click this sentence for Discussion of Rules thread.

Thanks to all who entered; you certainly didn't make it easy to pick a winner! I'll comment briefly on each shot before listing results:

Practicing merging shots together

This is an amazing image. I also liked your prior entry on high-key lighting. This is a great example of having a clear concept in mind before you start shooting, and is well shot.

Winter Wharf

I've looked at this photo over and over and am just in awe. The colors, the composition, the position of people at the end of the wharf, all perfect.

Not a snapshot; a neck-snap

What a beautiful bike. I like how the colors and even the black/white of the bike contrast nicely with the gray floors and walls.

Product shot, natural light

The detail and color on this shot are superb. After seeing this I wouldn't hesitate to do product shots with a G15. The background material is a perfect match as well.

Gone in 60 Seconds

Strawberry and chocolate are one of my favorite combinations so my mouth watered over this shot. Another great example of fine detail captured by a G series!

Don't Tell Me I Can't Bring a Camera to My Son's Wedding!

Really?! They told you no cameras? This is a nice shot that captures the spirit of the day.

And the winners are...

1st Place - Car, Practicing merging shots together

2nd Place - teekay, Winter Wharf

3rd Place - OhLook, Product shot, natural light

Congratulations to all! Keep shooting, keep entering!

sponsored links
Car
627 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by Car. (4 edits in all)

Jan 06, 2015 06:45 |  #2

Practicing merging shots together
G7

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

teekay
Goldmember
2,830 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Jan 06, 2015 13:47 |  #3

Winter Wharf

IMAGE: http://community.netidea.com/teekay/temp/WinterWharf.jpg

G15

akdmx
57 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by akdmx. (2 edits in all)

Jan 10, 2015 23:51 |  #4

Not a snapshot; a neck-snap

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8650/16063236200_43cbe5a4e4_c.jpg

G11

OhLook
Spiderwoman
16,549 posts
Gallery: 68 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012
Post edited 10 months ago by OhLook.

Jan 11, 2015 19:09 |  #5

Product shot, natural light

HOSTED PHOTO

G15

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

CarloY
681 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 12, 2015 01:26 |  #6

Gone in 60 Seconds

G9, LED lighting +PP. Crop.

HOSTED PHOTO

G9's... enthusiast and hobby clicker... toying w/ Canon 2x Tele & Raynox .7x Wide.

JimAskew
20% discount at IHOP
7,267 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 12, 2015 07:21 |  #7

Don't Tell Me I Can't Bring a Camera to My Son's Wedding!
G11

HOSTED PHOTO

Jim -- I keep the G5X in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L

HWolf
THREAD ­ STARTER
243 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Jan 12, 2015 08:08 |  #8

According to the rules, noon GMT has come and gone so entries are now closed. I will post the results shortly.

teekay
Goldmember
2,830 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Jan 12, 2015 12:12 |  #9

Congratulations to Carolyn on a most successful merging job that must have taken one heck of a lot of work. Would you tell us how you did it?

And thanks for the second place and your comments, HWolf - my entry certainly "ain't no snapshot"! I went searching or a suitable high contrast subject for a "different" HDR shot, and took several at that wharf before spotting the two young women walking along it in coats that made them look almost like priests. When they got to the end and climbed up onto a picnic table I realized I had the composition I was hoping for. Then I saved five versions of the RAW file as JPEGS with different exposure settings, finally recombining them in Photomatix for the HDR result I wanted.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
16,549 posts
Gallery: 68 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 12, 2015 12:14 |  #10

Congratulations to Car and teekay--and everyone, really. Car, your composite is one of those neat, sophisticated things that go in the "advanced" category!

HWolf, you said only nice things about my shot, that's pretty much the custom here, but I'm not satisfied with it. It's a long way from pro quality. A pro, of course, would smooth the fabric better and wouldn't rely on window light on an overcast day and would notice BEFORE shooting that one of the hanging flowers was tucked behind a fold.

For those interested in improvising with things found around the house, this was the setup:

HOSTED PHOTO

I pinned the brooch on a silk blouse. Blouse on hanger on stepladder, sleeves tied together in back to even out the fabric in front, two water bottles on step to angle the blouse toward the unseen window at left. Stepladder elevated on boxes to get it closer to the light. No tripod.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Car
627 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 12, 2015 13:18 |  #11

Thanks HWolf for hosting and judging and congratulations to Teekay and Ohlook.
My image was taken in 2006 I think whilst on holiday in Marseille. I was luck that the background was very plain making it easier to merge all the shots together but you will see the mountains in the background repeat. It did take quite some time andwas rather a labour of love, being of my daughter. Full sized it is over a metre wide. I intended to get it printed onto a canvas but didn't get around to doing it. It was all done on photoshop but I'm afraid I have no proper instructions, I'm not sure I could do it again to be honest. The other image I posted had toberemovedas when I checked the exif data I had used my 50d!
I really liked your picture Tekay. Hdr is something I've yet to have a go at.
Will get a new challenge up soon.
Carolyn

JimAskew
20% discount at IHOP
7,267 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 14, 2015 16:22 |  #12

Congratulations to Car, teekay, and OhLook for their most excellent entries. And a big thanks to HWolf for hosting a fine and challenging contest.

As I was part of our son's wedding I was told not to bring a camera. However, I did manage to slip my G11 into my pocket and grab a few photos when the opportunity presented itself :-). The G11 is perfect for this kind of "stealth" photography :-)

Car
627 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 14, 2015 17:38 |  #13

^ and a beautiful shot it is too. I think the candid shots are some of the best at weddings, they seem more natural and relaxed.
Cx

JimAskew
20% discount at IHOP
7,267 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 15, 2015 07:18 |  #14

Car wrote in post #17382620 (external link)
^ and a beautiful shot it is too. I think the candid shots are some of the best at weddings, they seem more natural and relaxed.
Cx

Thanks, Car :-) I love shooting weddings...I have three on the books for this spring already! Now that I am retired from my day job I hope to shoot a lot more. I work with a Pro most of the time as her 2nd shooter....all the fun and not so much pressure :-) Of course I'll bring out the big guns for this work but never sell short the trusty G-Series cameras :-)

I liked your merge concept. I have done lots of panoramas using merge s/w but never one like you created...very intriguing idea for a fun wedding photo...I'll have to give it a try.

sponsored links

4,017 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN G-series Speed Challenge #516 - This ain't no snapshot
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.