Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Leica Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Leica Cameras
Thread started 06 Jan 2015 (Tuesday) 08:17
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Plan on Moving to Leica

dtufino
Goldmember
4,018 posts
Joined Apr 2006
New York Gritty
Jan 06, 2015 08:17 |  #1

Wile I've always thought i'd move to Leica one day or another, I'd like to ask you guys which would be the first logical step on moving towards a Leica? My plan is to eventually sell all my canon gear and getting a Leica camera and maybe 2 lenses... I'm coming form a canon 1dX.

I mean.... thoughts? Opinions would be greatful! I currently own several Voigtlander M mount lenses that i use on my Sony A7II...

-David T.
www.dtufinophoto.comexternal link

@dtufino_photoexternal link
flickrexternal link

sponsored links
taemo
Goldmember
1,243 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Calgary, AB
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by taemo. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 06, 2015 09:43 |  #2

before making the jump and investing all that money on a digital Leica, do you have any experience with RF cameras?

reason I'm asking is because the shooting approach with a RF is slightly different than with a SLR, especially since you're only seeing a representation of your image through the OVF and not the actual image itself.

the easiest transition would be getting the newer M240 since it allows you to use an EVF and thus have live view just like the Sony A7II but this is also the most expensive as well.

you could get a used M9 for half price, but ISO1600 and higher is not great, older, slow buffering and rear LCD is antique, plus no live view like the M240
but most people including myself prefer its CCD sensor over the CMOS on the M240.

another way to get into a Leica is by shooting film first, you can find old M cameras (2,3,4,5,6) for under or a little over $1000 or even cheaper is by getting a Bessa R for around $300-500

me personally I'm shooting film Leica only and have the A7 to shoot my M lenses but airfrogusmc might be able to chime in his experience since he's also moving from DSLR to a digital M camera.

earldieta.comexternal link - flickrexternal link - tumblrexternal link - gear/feedback
the spirit is willing but the body is sore and squishy
4 digital cameras | 14 film cameras

dtufino
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,018 posts
Joined Apr 2006
New York Gritty
Jan 06, 2015 09:55 |  #3

Good point.. never shot rangefinder.. lol i thinki'll invest in a Leica film camera for now.... keep my other gear.

-David T.

flickrexternal link

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Jan 07, 2015 18:15 |  #4

If Leica only you would have to scratch out action sports and dance most likely.
But you could find it interesting option for main DSLR gear with M film and Cosina glass.
Based on my own experience film Leica with Cosina lens is great combo for photography.
I have tried Bessa with LTM Leitz lenses prior to it.
RA series are great if you want to use aperture priority and have fresh camera for the price of used M.
If you are wide lens maniac they have great R versions for it also.
But the reason why even new Bessa doesn't cost as many old Ms is not in Leica label actually.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

agphotography
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined Mar 2008
Orange County, CA
Jan 07, 2015 22:10 |  #5

I've made the transition recently in the last few months. I've been a film rangefinder user for 10 years and I work with a Mamiya 7II as well (medium format rangefinder) so I am very comfortable with this style of shooting but it is definitely limiting at times, it requires a much more contemplative pace.

I have no regrets so far on switching but I moved to an M240 with a trio of Zeiss ZM lenses (25/35/50).

-Abram-
www.goglanianphoto.comexternal link
500pxexternal link / Flickrexternal link
Tumblrexternal link

britinjapan
Joined Oct 2011
Tokyo
Jan 10, 2015 07:42 |  #6

1DX to Leica MF range finder is going to limit you. Make sure that you know well the limitations of manual focus. Id save and try and have both if you can.

Canon 6D, 35mm F2 IS, 50mm F1.2L, 85mm 1.2L, 135mm F2L, 24-70 F4L, Tokyo, Japan

Echo63
Goldmember
2,855 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Perth - Western Australia - Earth
Jan 10, 2015 21:29 |  #7

A few people have suggested a film rangefinder - if you prefer digital you could also pick up an M8 and a single lens to try the "rangefinder experience"
Its a slightly different way of shooting, and isnt for everyone.

If you do get an M8 - it should be pretty easy to get rid of later on, and you wont lose much money on it, if you either decide its not for you, or upgrade to a newer model like the M240

You may also find your local Leica dealer has a "you and M" promotion on where you can borrow an M240 for either 24 or 48 hours.

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​comexternal link
Gear listhttp://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=2463426&postcou​nt=385

advaitin
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2003
The Fun Coast of Florida
Feb 10, 2015 21:56 |  #8

I saw a Leica M240 for a good price, supposedly less than 500 exposures, from a reputable source, for $2k less than new. I did some quick research and bought it. Hopefully I'll see it tomorrow--or the next day. I also have a few Voigtlander lenses that I've been using on Sony A7 series. I suspect I'll do OK with the rangefinder aspect since I started out my working career using an M3.

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

NullMind
629 posts
Joined Oct 2005
London, UK & Azores
Feb 16, 2015 09:15 |  #9

advaitin wrote in post #17426348external link
I saw a Leica M240 for a good price, supposedly less than 500 exposures, from a reputable source, for $2k less than new. I did some quick research and bought it. Hopefully I'll see it tomorrow--or the next day. I also have a few Voigtlander lenses that I've been using on Sony A7 series. I suspect I'll do OK with the rangefinder aspect since I started out my working career using an M3.

I tough about grabbing one as well, but I keep thinking what will I gain that the A7R won't give me ?, be interested to see what your findings are.

NullMind
Sony A7R + Zeiss 15 2.8, Zeiss 21 2.8, Zeiss 85 1.2,TS-E 17L, 100L, 135L, Canon 50 0.95, Voigtlander 35 1.2, Helios 44M-6, 580EX II, Feisol 3441S, Markins Q3T Red
Full Gear & Feedback
Please excuse the Typos, Brain and Finguers can't sync.

advaitin
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2003
The Fun Coast of Florida
Feb 16, 2015 15:53 as a reply to NullMind's post |  #10

I have both Sony A7R and 7S. I guess you could say I'm a dedicated hobbyist in retirement. The M-240 is fairly easy to use but there are little flaws from my Canon/Sony DSLR perspective. It hard to hold onto and I find it easy to activate or switch some setting by accident as my thumb or finger brushes a button. I bought a RRS grip with quick release replacement bottom plate, but could have picked up a Leica handgrip for about the same price. However, with a handgrip, I'm finding it easier to hold. I also picked up a used Olympus VF-2 to plug into the camera which allows magnified focus similar to the Sonys eye-level viewfinder. But it gets in the way of using the rangefinder view since I wear a cap usually.

My Voigtlanders and one Zeiss lens work well. There is vignetting and color shifts as on the A7R, but if you manually match the attached lens to an in-camera list of Leica lenses, the M-240 outputs a DNG file that corrects most faults.

Rangefinder focusing is very fast. My first pro camera was an M3 and I have some muscle memory deep in the brain. I've reoriented to doing a lot of manual adjustments on the Sonys, so it is no great problem to continue to do that with the M-240. I'm still in the testing stage as I have yet to spend a whole day shooting just one lens, but sharpness of focus seems fine and despite the lower ISO available, the low light shots are quite good. The camera tells you when it is doing noise reduction. It is quieter than the A7R shutter, but not completely silent.

Here are two shots I did with the M in the last two days. Both are derived from DNG files. The Salesman is regular post-processing, the woman (my wife) is edited in Portrait Pro 11. THe man was shot using the Voigtlander 35mm f1.2 with the RF viewfinder and my wife with a Voigtlander 75mm f1.8 and the electronic VF-2

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

dolina
Goldmember
4,795 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by dolina.
Feb 19, 2015 21:48 |  #11

I took a different route from what you are considering David.

Rather than sell my EF system I decided to try out Leica's fixed lens compact camera with a large sensor.

Namely the Leica X (Typ 113) that was announced last September.

I am very happy with the camera and I encourage any DSLR owner to consider getting a FujiFILM/Leica/Nikon/R​icoh/Sony fixed lens compact camera with a large sensor. All brands sport a APS-C sized sensor except for the Sony that has a full frame sensor.

The thing with switching is that you lose money.

The thing with going beyond a single system is that you duplicate focal lengths and other accessories.

My sole complaint with the camera is that it does not have a built-in viewfinder. It is a $600 add on. I would have preferred it had that over a built-in flash.

Visit my Flickrexternal link, Facebookexternal link & 500pxexternal link and see my photos. :)

dtufino
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,018 posts
Joined Apr 2006
New York Gritty
Feb 20, 2015 07:56 as a reply to dolina's post |  #12

I have a Sony A7II, canon 1DX and just picked up a lightly used Ricoh GR for dirtcheap! I like the ricoh!

-David T.

flickrexternal link

advaitin
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2003
The Fun Coast of Florida
Feb 25, 2015 18:41 |  #13

M (240) Voigtlander 40mm f1.4, Nokton Classic S.C. (single coated).

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Mornnb
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Sydney
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by Mornnb. 2 edits done in total.
Feb 28, 2015 08:28 |  #14

dtufino wrote in post #17368706external link
Wile I've always thought i'd move to Leica one day or another, I'd like to ask you guys which would be the first logical step on moving towards a Leica? My plan is to eventually sell all my canon gear and getting a Leica camera and maybe 2 lenses... I'm coming form a canon 1dX.

I mean.... thoughts? Opinions would be greatful! I currently own several Voigtlander M mount lenses that i use on my Sony A7II...

Sell the Sony, keep the Canon. There are certain things the 1DX can shoot that would be tricky on a Leica M. i.e. sports, parades, weddings etc.
IMHO Canon cameras are also much more fun to shoot than Sony and offer a better shooting experience, the controls, build, design and feel of the camera, Canon has a pretty high standard. Sony offers a very high image quality but little else in terms of quality.

Canon 5D Mark III - Leica M240
EF 16-35mm F/4 IS L - EF 14mm f/2.8 L II - - EF 17mm TS-E L - EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II - EF 70-200mm IS II f/2.8 L - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art - Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX
Voigtlander 15mm III - 28mm Elmarit-M ASPH - 35mm f/1.4 Summilux-M FLE - 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH
500pxexternal link

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Feb 28, 2016 17:54 |  #15

I have made the move to all Leica. Sold all of my Canon gear and I have NO REGRETS

I had an MM and have had it for over 3 years now. I also had a 35 1.4 Summilux FLE (the finest 35mm lens I have ever shot with period and I have shot with a lot of 35mm lenses over the years. I shoot all of my personal work with the MM and 35 Lux.

Picked up a new M 262 and had a 35mm Biogon C (Zeiss) and I also picked up a gently used M-E and a mid 1980s 90mm Summicron.

Here is the current lineup L to R
M262 35 lux fie, M-E 90 cron and MM 35 Biogon C ZM....

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/Cameras/IMG_1934_zpsryrhpb3v.jpg

sponsored links

8,582 views & 3 likes for this thread
Plan on Moving to Leica
FORUMS Leica Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Leica Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.