Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 06 Jan 2015 (Tuesday) 08:48
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Stumped... 5dIII with flash on and off camera. Plz Help.

scobols
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Jan 06, 2015 08:48 |  #1

I have a problem that I just can't solve and I'm hoping someone here can help.

It happens at wedding receptions when I use a 580EX II on camera and trigger an Einstein (or Alien Bee) with Radio Popper Jr2's (also happened with with the original Jr's). The trigger is connected to the sync port in the camera and the 580 is in the hot shoe. For some reason, the only way I can use the external light is if the 580 is in manual mode.

I'm well aware of the pre-flash which can trigger the external light so I always make sure the optical slave is disabled on the external light. I've even fired the 580 by itself to confirm the external light is not triggered by it. Then, with the 580 on ETTL, I can see the external light flash but it is not in sync and does not show up in the exposure. For the life of me I cannot figure out why this is happening. I set my on-camera 580 to manual and boom, it works perfectly. I set it back to ETTL and no external light. I test fire the 580 and the external light does not fire.

So, I think there must be something in the camera (5D MkIII) that needs to be changed.

Has anyone else had this issue or can you shed some light on the problem?

Thank you,
Scott

www.scottbolster.comexternal link
facebookexternal link

OceanRipple*
742 posts
Joined Dec 2014
Jan 06, 2015 12:20 |  #2

Sounds like a latency issue - partly from the camera - maybe an element from the triggers.

Canon cover themselves in their camera body instruction manuals by saying that anything driven from the body's pc out socket will often require a SS a whole stop or more slower than max sync speed.

Compared to M flash, ETTL builds in a very slight delay (more if Canon Wireless is involved). So your external pc driven unit fires but its light doesn't show up in the capture. Try experimenting with incrementally slower SSs. (And maybe, 580ExII to pre-flash free mode - M and not 'master' - then - trigger optically - should remove nearly all latency issues for comparison.)

scobols
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Jan 06, 2015 12:33 as a reply to OceanRipple*'s post |  #3

Very interesting - that sure sounds like the problem I'm having.

I'll do some testing with slower shutter speeds and see what I can figure out.

Thank you!

www.scottbolster.comexternal link
facebookexternal link

Bearmann
Goldmember
1,160 posts
Joined Feb 2008
I live behind Graceland in a tool shed. I often meet the man early in the morning at Krispy Kreme.
Jan 06, 2015 22:08 |  #4

I just experimented with a 5D Mark II with a 600EX-Rt on camera in ETTL mode, but with the flash off. I had a cybersync transmitter in the pc terminal. Off camera I had two 600EX-RT's in ETTL and a 550EX on manual with a cybersync receiver. Shutter speed was 1/200. All 3 off camera flashes fired simultaneously.

Barry

http://b-r-s-photo.zenfolio.comexternal link (remove the dashes)

CliveyBoy
R.I.P.      He will be missed
3,272 posts
Joined Nov 2005
Tauranga, NZ
Jan 06, 2015 23:25 |  #5

The 5DIII manual says: "1/60 to 1/30 S" is required for syncing with large studio lights.

Clive, and Great G/D Abbie
50D; 580EXII, 430EXII, 550EX, YN685EX; YN-622C II, YN622C-TX and YN560-TX controllers TOYUG II v5.10 YN622 System Guide (external link)
I tried retiring, but gave it up - it's a dead end

736 views & 0 likes for this thread
Stumped... 5dIII with flash on and off camera. Plz Help.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.