Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th of February 2006 (Fri)   #1
3kids1036

Default Are Sigma lenses JUST as good as Canon Lenses?

Im wondering because the price difference is HUGE. Im looking into a 28-135 for my 20D. I "JUST" Got, as in TODAY, a 50mm f1.4, and I also have a 28-200 Tameron lens. Just wondering.

THANKS!
3kids1036 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 24th of February 2006 (Fri)   #2
Steve Parr
should have taken his own advice

Default Re: Are Sigma lenses JUST as good as Canon Lenses?

I don't own any Sigma lenses, but I've heard excellent reviews about them. Of course, like anything else, there are also some that probably aren't everything you hope they'll be.

I'm considering the Bigma right now. It'll be my first Sigma lens...
Steve Parr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of February 2006 (Fri)   #3
RichardtheSane
Goldmember

It depends on the sigma lens you choose.

Many are not as good at the canon equivalent. Some are nearly as good. Some are better.
Some are unequalled as Canon do not have an equivalent.

Did you have any lenses in mind?

Gear: 40D, 12-24mm AT-X Pro, 17-85mm, Sigma 150mm Macro Sigma 100-300 F4, 550EX, other stuff that probably helps me on my way.
RichardtheSane is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 24th of February 2006 (Fri)   #4
saravrose
"I quit smoking dope"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Parr
I don't own any Sigma lenses, but I've heard excellent reviews about them. Of course, like anything else, there are also some that probably aren't everything you hope they'll be.

I'm considering the Bigma right now. It'll be my first Sigma lens...
me too... you'll probably get your bigma before me... tell me how you like it if you don't mind..
a couple of bags and a lot of big ideas
"The shot is in my head before it's in front of my camera...."
saravrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of February 2006 (Fri)   #5
3kids1036

Im looking into the 28-135
3kids1036 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of February 2006 (Fri)   #6
DavidEB
Goldmember

Canon and Sigma each make a wide variety of lenses. Some are very good, some are good and some are, well, -- er, um -- less good. Some of the very good lenses in each lineup are unique and can't really be compared to anything else. There's no point in comparing all sigma lenses to all canon lenses.

Also, you have to decide what you're looking for. Say you're looking for a 70-200mm zoom. Are you looking for the best lens you can get at any cost, or are you looking for the best lens you can get on an $800 budget? Those are two different questions. I'd rather have the sigma 70-200 f2.8 than the canon 70-200 f4 (similar price) but if money is no issue then I'd go for the canon 70-200 f2.8 IS. But it's almost double the cost.

You just got two lenses that sound pretty decent. I suggest you use them for a while before worrying about brand names of other lenses. Enjoy.
Old 24th of February 2006 (Fri)   #7
Mike Bell
Goldmember

I just got my first Sigma lens and it is very good. Don't be a slave to brand. Decide which focal length(s) you need then look for reviews and posts of sample shots. Your choice can then be based on results. If your budget is more limited widen your research to include lots of brands - as a very broad generalisation you do seem to get more value for money with non-Canon lenses.
Canon 5D Mk3, 7D, EF 16-35 f2.8 L MkII, EF 24-105 L, TS-E 17 L, TS-E 24 L, TS-E 45, EF 28 f1.8, EF 50 f1.4, EF 85 f1.8, EF 135 f2 L, EF 70-200 f4 IS L, EF 70-200 f2.8 IS L, EF 100-400 IS L. Sigma 150 EX DG APO Macro. Speedlites 580EX2 & 430 EX. Lee filters.
Visit my web site
Mike Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of February 2006 (Fri)   #8
RichardtheSane
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3kids1036
Well looking at the MTF charts image quality is definitly better on the canon, but there is more than image quality to a lens.
The Canon has an image stabiliser which allows hand held shooting at lower shutter speeds (about 2 stops) and also the Canon has ring type USM which is a better, quieter and quicker focussing system.

But the Canon is also double the price. Here, I would imagine, is where you will get what you pay for.

Now if you look at the Tamron 28-75 as an alternative then there are some differences. But you do loose out on the 75-135 range. That said, you get an F2.8 lens...

Gear: 40D, 12-24mm AT-X Pro, 17-85mm, Sigma 150mm Macro Sigma 100-300 F4, 550EX, other stuff that probably helps me on my way.
RichardtheSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of February 2006 (Fri)   #9
homerdog

Quote:
I had one of these and it wasn't very sharp, which seems to be a fairly commonly held view. It does have a good range, although it's not very wide on a 20D.

I also owned a 17-85IS, which was sharper and had a better range for a walkaround lens. A bit more expensive than the former lens though.

Hope this helps
homerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of February 2006 (Fri)   #10
cfcRebel
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
I don't have this lens but i have owned both Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 EX DG macro and Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. They were both very good lens, each with it's own pros and cons.

Canon | SIGMA | TAMRON | Kenko | Amvona
cfcRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of February 2006 (Fri)   #11
DavidEB
Goldmember

Quote:
Well looking at the MTF charts image quality is definitly better
I'd caution against comparing the MTF charts from different manufacturers, as their charts are prepared using different methods.
Old 24th of February 2006 (Fri)   #12
Cadwell
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEB
I'd caution against comparing the MTF charts from different manufacturers, as their charts are prepared using different methods.
Agreed. MTF charts between different manufacturers are not directly comparable.
Old 24th of February 2006 (Fri)   #13
Mitcon
Goldmember

All lenses should be looked at on their own individual merits, there are very few which are directly comparable. Some people get into the mental model if it has the Canon name it's a safe bet. Canon do make some very good lenses, so do Sigma, Tamron and so on..... Also whats the best lens for one person might not be so for the next person as needs will always differ even if only slightly.

I think the first thing to look at when buying a lens is your intended use ann your budget restrictions. Then look at all the offerings within your budget range, I normally say always buy the best you can afford and then don't wonder about what you didn't get. Use, learn and enjoy what you have. I also agree with the others on MTF charts.

As said there is also other features to a lens than just it's optical quality, what good is a lens that has perfect optics, but is too slow for your needs, too heavy or the too expensive part too. There are many deciding factors and this is what you need to work out.

To those looking at getting the Bigma (Sigma 50-500) all I can say is I LOVE this lens. I use it a great deal and for my needs it's perfect. It is a little heavy, but I don't think it's as bad as some people make out. It's optics and build quality are quite good (nothing comes close to it for it's price range). It does eat up a fair bit of light though, certainly more so if your shooting handheld. Is it the right lens choice for you ? I have no idea as I don't know your needs/wants but all I can say is it's quite an able lens.

Learn it's limitations and strengths and them work them to your advantage and I'm sure you should enjoy it

POTN Aussie club

Feel free to visit my image galleries
www.mitconphotographics.com
Mitcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of February 2006 (Fri)   #14
Tee Why
"Monkey's uncle"

Sigma makes good and not so hot lenses, just like everyone else. Overall, I think their optics are on par with anyone else and they are cheaper.
Photozone.de has reviews of many Sigma and Canon lenses, you can check them out there.
Good luck
Tee Why is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of February 2006 (Fri)   #15
dengli

Tamron do a 24-135 lens which is a hidden jewel (if you can find one)

1DMkIII, some lenses, grey hair and a beard
dengli is offline   Reply With Quote