Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 10 Jan 2015 (Saturday) 12:21
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Will these vintage lenses work with a 6D?

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Intheswamp.
Jan 10, 2015 12:21 |  #1

Not wanting to damage my 6D I figured I'd ask whether the lenses listed below will work ok with the 6D. These are not the greatest lenses, but they're something to tinker with until I can afford some Canon glass. :) These will naturally require Nikon-EOS adapters.

Nikkor-Q Auto 200mm f4 Non-AI
Nikkor-Q Auto 135mm f2.8 Non-AI
Nikkor-S Auto 50mm f1.4 Non-AI
Nikkor 35mm f2.8 Non-AI
Micro-Nikkor-P.C 55mm f3.5 Non-AI
Micro-Nikkor 105mm f4 Non-AI

Super-Takumar 50mm f1.4 (has own adapter and works well with T2i but it seems I read that this lens will interfere with the mirror of a 6D...????)

Tamron 500mm f8 mirror w/Nikon Adaptall mount and Nikon-EOS adapter (works well with T2i)

Thanks for any help on this!!!
Ed

Edited 200mm to read 200mm f4

www.beeweather.comexternal link

sponsored links
watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Jan 10, 2015 17:15 |  #2

Intheswamp wrote in post #17375605external link
Not wanting to damage my 6D I figured I'd ask whether the lenses listed below will work ok with the 6D. These are not the greatest lenses, but they're something to tinker with until I can afford some Canon glass. :) These will naturally require Nikon-EOS adapters.

Nikkor-Q Auto 200mm f1:4 Non-AI
Nikkor-Q Auto 135mm f2.8 Non-AI
Nikkor-S Auto 50mm f1.4 Non-AI
Nikkor 35mm f2.8 Non-AI
Micro-Nikkor-P.C 55mm f3.5 Non-AI
Micro-Nikkor 105mm f4 Non-AI

Super-Takumar 50mm f1.4 (has own adapter and works well with T2i but it seems I read that this lens will interfere with the mirror of a 6D...????)

Tamron 500mm f8 mirror w/Nikon Adaptall mount and Nikon-EOS adapter (works well with T2i)

Thanks for any help on this!!!
Ed

probably with an adapter but why not just sell the Nikkor lens and buy Canon

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jan 10, 2015 22:21 |  #3

I don't think they will bring enough to buy a good Canon lens. Will they?

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
9,758 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Jan 10, 2015 22:27 |  #4

Intheswamp wrote in post #17376378external link

No.

And yes, all of them will work. You can find cheap $10 adapters on Amazon or eBay and they'll work fine (including the Takumar) ;)

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

melcat
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Jan 11, 2015 02:06 |  #5

Intheswamp wrote in post #17376378external link

Mirror lenses are suddenly in demand again. I sold one about a year ago for a surprising amount. A quick check of the local eBay says the Tamron, not quite as good as mine, is going for ~$300 AUD. The reason is that mirrorless solves the traditional problem with them (too dim to frame and focus well). Indeed, mine went to a µ4/3 user.

I don't know enough about non-AI Nikons to comment. I personally wouldn't want a lens without modern coatings.

Is that 55mm PC lens a typo? I only knew about the 35mm and 28mm. I'd think you should get a decet price for any PC lens, again because mirrorless makes them easier to use.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
9,758 posts
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Jan 11, 2015 10:43 |  #6

melcat wrote in post #17376638external link
Mirror lenses are suddenly in demand again. I sold one about a year ago for a surprising amount. A quick check of the local eBay says the Tamron, not quite as good as mine, is going for ~$300 AUD. The reason is that mirrorless solves the traditional problem with them (too dim to frame and focus well). Indeed, mine went to a µ4/3 user.

I don't know enough about non-AI Nikons to comment. I personally wouldn't want a lens without modern coatings.

Is that 55mm PC lens a typo? I only knew about the 35mm and 28mm. I'd think you should get a decet price for any PC lens, again because mirrorless makes them easier to use.

I'm surprised to hear that about mirror lenses since I've never seen one with any kind of decent IQ (sometimes they're sharp enough, but the rest of the image is garbage usually imo), but you're right, they do seem to be going for decent money right now.

As for the pre-Ai's; there are so many better alternatives out there that I don't think he'll get much for them (less than $100 each). So while he could probably make a few hundred bucks selling them, it'll likely take more time than it's worth to do so IMO. I would try them all out first, see which one's are worth using and sell the rest. Then in time sell the others as you grow tired of them.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses

ZoneV
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Germany
Jan 12, 2015 01:58 |  #7

The Micro Nikkor lenses, the Tamron mirror and the two 50/1.4 lenses seem to be most interessting.
The Tamron mirror is one of the mirror lenses with good optical quality, it seems that a lot of mirror lenses are not good enough for todays demands.

melcat wrote in post #17376638external link

It is nor perspective correction = tilt:
http://www.mir.com.my ...sources/6070nikkor/​micro/external link

DIY-Homepage (external link) - Image Gallery (external link) - Gear List

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jan 12, 2015 07:08 |  #8

Thanks everybody for the replies. I'm hoping to have a couple of adapters this week and then I will sample the lenses.

My current Canon mount lenses are:

Canon 50mm f1.8 MKI
Canon 85mm f1.8
Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro (non-L)
Tamron 28-75mm f2.8

Naturally it would be nice if one or more of the longer lenses work well. I've used the 500mm on my T2i and it physically fits fine. So far I've only attempted some moon shots with it, which turned out fairly good. I need to get it out and try some terrestrial shots with it. The other two long lenses, 135mm and 200mm will be interesting to tinker with, also. I'm interested in the two 50mm 1.4's (as ZoneV noted above), though my Canon MKI I'm pretty satisfied with at the moment...I'll investigate the bokeh out on these other two.

I'm still curious about the "safety" of using these lenses on the 6D. I found anther mention of the Takumar hitting the mirror on full-frame cameras. Anybody got info on this...as for now I will err on the side of caution and not mount it on my 6D.

Ed

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
9,758 posts
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Jan 12, 2015 08:56 |  #9

Intheswamp wrote in post #17378522external link
Thanks everybody for the replies. I'm hoping to have a couple of adapters this week and then I will sample the lenses.

My current Canon mount lenses are:

Canon 50mm f1.8 MKI
Canon 85mm f1.8
Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro (non-L)
Tamron 28-75mm f2.8

Naturally it would be nice if one or more of the longer lenses work well. I've used the 500mm on my T2i and it physically fits fine. So far I've only attempted some moon shots with it, which turned out fairly good. I need to get it out and try some terrestrial shots with it. The other two long lenses, 135mm and 200mm will be interesting to tinker with, also. I'm interested in the two 50mm 1.4's (as ZoneV noted above), though my Canon MKI I'm pretty satisfied with at the moment...I'll investigate the bokeh out on these other two.

I'm still curious about the "safety" of using these lenses on the 6D. I found anther mention of the Takumar hitting the mirror on full-frame cameras. Anybody got info on this...as for now I will err on the side of caution and not mount it on my 6D.

Ed

It shouldn't hit your mirror. Of all the lenses I used on my 6D (and I used a ton) only one ever hit the mirror and when it did/does there's almost zero chance of it causing any damage. All it will do is hold the mirror up as if you were shooting with mirror lock up enabled, then when you focus away from infinity it'll come back down. The mirror in the 6D isn't going to move with enough force to cause any damage, worst case scenario it will dislodge (very unlikely) and you'll just need to put it back on.

Search the topic, I haven't seen one person dislodge their 6D mirror with any vintage lens, let alone damage it. The 5Dc is most prone to mirror issues and sometimes the 5D2, but I've yet to see or hear of anyone having any real issues with a 6D.

Snafoo
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
Peculiar
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Snafoo.
Jan 12, 2015 09:31 |  #10

I inherited several lenses that my father owned back in the day (60s-80s), and I've been generally unimpressed when using them on my DSLRs. Most have a slight yellow tinge, which I might be able to fix, either by having the lens serviced, or in PP, but it's not worth the bother imo. The only lens that approaches my L lenses in image quality is a Zeiss Planar T* 50/1.4, which was the kit lens on his Contax RTS.

http://www.jonstot.com​/ (external link)

dodgyexposure
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Jan 12, 2015 17:05 |  #11

I have a 6D and I also have a Super Takumar 50/1.4 and a Tamron SP 500mm mirror lens. I bought both lenses when I had a 600D (T3i).

The 50 is the earliest 1964 model - 8 elements, 6 blade aperture. It hits the returning mirror on my 6D when close focussed. From memory, it is clear for focussing distances over about 10m. No problem when using live view, obviously. As I am hopeless at accurate manual focussing through the viewfinder, I tend to use this lens using live view, so it is usable. That being said, I tend to prefer autofocus lenses for the convenience.

Here is a compatibility list for old lenses with a 5D, if you haven't seen it - http://www.panoramapla​net.de/comp/external link

I bought the 500mm mirror specifically to shoot a solar eclipse a few years ago. Moon shots is one type of photography for which the disadvantages of a catadioptic lens are minimised. I have used it for normal telephoto shooting, but y0u have to work around the limitations - primarily a fixed f8 aperture, low contrast and onion bokeh (avoid specular highlights). It's fun otherwise. Before I bought it, I found a few reviews which indicated that the Tamron SP was just about the bext IQ available in mirror lenses.

Cheers, Damien

sponsored links

1,665 views & 0 likes for this thread
Will these vintage lenses work with a 6D?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.