Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 12 Jan 2015 (Monday) 09:55
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Apple Passes Nikon...

SixDeeFan
252 posts
Joined Aug 2014
Irvine, CA
Jan 12, 2015 09:55 |  #1

Apple passes Nikon to become second most popular camera brand (after Canon) on Flickr!
What to make of this, beside the obvious?

http://www.macrumors.c​om ...01/12/apple-nikon-flickr/external link

6D MARK II | EF 50 f/1.2L USM | EF 16-35 f/4L IS USM | Tamron SP 24-70 f/2.8 DI VC G2 | Tamron SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC G2 | Tamron SP 2X Pro TC | Tamron TAP-in Console

sponsored links
shaunmcfd
Joined Nov 2012
Jan 12, 2015 10:49 |  #2

I take from it that there are more people that own an iPhone and believe it to be a "camera" than there are people that own a Nikon and actually know how to utilize its abilities. The iPhone is a phone that happens to have a good camera attached but it is not a "camera". Obviously, this is only my opinion.

6D | 24-105 f4L | Sigma 50 2.8 Macro | 17-40 f4L| 135 f2L | 70-200 f2.8L ii | Sigma 35 1.4 Art | Tamron 24-70

King ­ of ­ Canada
267 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Halifax,Nova Scotia
Jan 12, 2015 11:04 |  #3

There must be a Flickr app that you can upload direct from the phone as you "shoot"?

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Jan 12, 2015 11:57 |  #4

Heya,

Accessibility.
Mobility.
Familiarity.
Connected to the web.
Editing apps onboard.
Stupid-easy, it does everything for the user.

Is there even a surprise?

Who cares.

We're talking Flickr.

If were talking cover of National Geographic, or any other serious medium, other than a web-photo-social-media site, maybe it would be more meaningful.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

SixDeeFan
THREAD ­ STARTER
252 posts
Joined Aug 2014
Irvine, CA
Jan 12, 2015 12:21 |  #5

MalVeauX wrote in post #17378904external link
Heya,

Accessibility.
Mobility.
Familiarity.
Connected to the web.
Editing apps onboard.
Stupid-easy, it does everything for the user.

Is there even a surprise?

Who cares.

We're talking Flickr.

If were talking cover of National Geographic, or any other serious medium, other than a web-photo-social-media site, maybe it would be more meaningful.

Very best,

Yes there is a surprise. This wasn't the situation last year. Your insinuating that Canon is next? and so what? Long live the iPhone!

6D MARK II | EF 50 f/1.2L USM | EF 16-35 f/4L IS USM | Tamron SP 24-70 f/2.8 DI VC G2 | Tamron SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC G2 | Tamron SP 2X Pro TC | Tamron TAP-in Console

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006
LA
Post has been edited over 3 years ago by samsen.
Jan 12, 2015 12:43 |  #6

shaunmcfd wrote in post #17378809external link
I take from it that there are more people that own an iPhone and believe it to be a "camera" than there are people that own a Nikon and actually know how to utilize its abilities. The iPhone is a phone that happens to have a good camera attached but it is not a "camera". Obviously, this is only my opinion.

Now the only Obvious thing is that you have a lot of enemy Ladies/teenagers out there:)

But then, some statistics are meant to mean nothing unless for a layperson who has no idea and can get an advertisement type brainwash.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

richp
55 posts
Joined Oct 2004
Jan 12, 2015 12:58 |  #7

Obviously it's much easier and far more likely to upload a picture from an iPhone than a camera so that isn't surprising at all. I will say that my iPhone 6+ takes pretty decent pictures, enough that I will never pick up a point and shoot ever again.

Canon 60D | Canon 15-85 | Tamron 70-200 f2.8 VC| Canon 50 f1.8 | 420EX

DGStinner
Joined Jan 2014
Middlesex, New Jersey
Jan 12, 2015 13:04 |  #8

King of Canada wrote in post #17378830external link
There must be a Flickr app that you can upload direct from the phone as you "shoot"?

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. If not, then yes, there is a Flickr app for iPhone that can auto-sync photos in the camera roll up to Flickr.

Dave Stinner
Gripped 7DII | Rebel T3
EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Rokinon 8mm | Sigma 150-600
My Gear on Lenstag (external link) | flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Personal IG (external link)| Regular IG (external link)

vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
One Mile Beach, NSW 2316, Australia
Jan 12, 2015 15:19 |  #9

DGStinner wrote in post #17379032external link
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. If not, then yes, there is a Flickr app for iPhone that can auto-sync photos in the camera roll up to Flickr.

I discovered that. That one seems to be on my wife's iPhone and we want to shut that off but cannot find the app... :( (or how to shut it down).
Help....!!

My name is Henk. and I believe "It is all in the eye of the beholder....."
Image Editing is allowed. Please explain what you did!
5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Tamron 70-200mm F/2.8 VC + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...
Photos on: Flickr! (external link) and on my own web site. (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,934 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Jan 12, 2015 15:45 |  #10

The recently upgraded apps mean more camera phone users are using flickr. So its more about a change in the flickr user base thsn it is any fundamental recent change in camera brand usage. I recently had to counsel a camera phone junky whose profligate snapping tended to fill her Iphone memory to the point where it affected performance. She resisted deleting any photos and wouldn't back them up via the usual methods. I convinced her that the flickr app would work to free up space and was simple enough to appeal to the technophobe in her.

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Chicago, Illinois
Jan 12, 2015 16:06 |  #11

When you snap a photo on your smart phone you have the option to share it to Flickr. This is more about smartphone convenience than cameras

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Jan 12, 2015 16:51 |  #12

just saw this on Facebook, sorry if it doesn't work for everyone but this is the full set of statistics 2013 vs 2014

https://www.facebook.c​om ...869592142/?type=1&t​heaterexternal link

canon, apple, nikon, samsung, and sony (the top 5) ALL gained share. canon gained the least.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

alan_potter
wireless groping system
Joined May 2005
Falkirk, Scotland
Jan 12, 2015 18:01 |  #13

It means that phones take pictures that under many circumstances do all that many people need. And that they always have those phones with them.

Falkirk, Scotland.
Project 365 Blogexternal link | flickrexternal link

Nogo
I could have been worse....
Joined Dec 2013
All Along the Natchez Trace (Clinton, MS)
Jan 12, 2015 18:21 |  #14

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17379415external link
just saw this on Facebook, sorry if it doesn't work for everyone but this is the full set of statistics 2013 vs 2014

https://www.facebook.c​om ...869592142/?type=1&t​heaterexternal link

canon, apple, nikon, samsung, and sony (the top 5) ALL gained share. canon gained the least.

The problem with analyzing the data from that table is what it lists is cameras owned. Many if not most DSLR owners as well as mirrorless owners are also likely to own a Smartphone. Flickr (in that table) does not break down how it obtained that data, but if they did by using the EXIF, all the information is saying is that during the year a certain percent of people uploaded at least one photograph with the device listed on the list.

The data that would be much more meaningful would be what percentage of photos was taken with each of those cameras.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,610 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Jan 12, 2015 20:56 |  #15

samsen wrote in post #17378982external link
Now the only Obvious thing is that you have a lot of enemy Ladies/teenagers out there:)

What? Women and teenagers can't be real photographers? :rolleyes:

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

sponsored links

4,670 views & 8 likes for this thread
Apple Passes Nikon...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.