Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk
Thread started 21 Jan 2015 (Wednesday) 11:26
Prev/next

Smart Phone Editing

TooManyHobbies
Goldmember
2,734 posts
Joined Mar 2006
Raleigh, NC, USA!
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by TooManyHobbies.
Jan 21, 2015 11:26 |  #1

I am thinking of writing an article on using your smart phone to do high end edits of model photography. 1 to drive some traffic to my page 2 to lessen the burden of editing for us photographers since many people could just do it on their phones.

Do you think models would be interested in an article like this?

~ Jeff

Canon EOS-1DX & 1Ds MkIII, 20D(IR), G12, G9, G5, ... Gear List
JMM Photography ~ Discovering Art in Everyday Lifeexternal link | Model Mayhem #675060external link

josh5k
359 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Bangalore, India
Mar 13, 2015 06:07 |  #2

Are you targetting models or Photographers? Why the aim toward the models? So they can edit the selfie shots before uploading? -?

CameraLogy.Comexternal link MMayhemexternal link Twitterexternal link GEARG+external link
My Facebook Pageexternal link!!

jimeuph1
215 posts
Joined Jul 2014
Mar 13, 2015 07:20 |  #3

High end... Mobile phone...

Not sure an article that says smartphone cameras are suitable for high end photography, is sending the right message.

An article telling models that smartphones have wide angle lenses that distort you making you appear larger than you really are, which is really unflattering is more like the article that would benefit everybody.

josh5k
359 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Bangalore, India
Mar 13, 2015 07:49 as a reply to jimeuph1's post |  #4

Actually I'm starting to click a lot on RAW+Jpeg and then using the Droid Tablet to edit the jpeg quickly to give a taste to the client or for me to check if the concept works.

CameraLogy.Comexternal link MMayhemexternal link Twitterexternal link GEARG+external link

jimeuph1
215 posts
Joined Jul 2014
Mar 13, 2015 16:01 |  #5

How is that any easier than running it quickly through lightroom?

If you can go to the effort of taking your tablet and doing a clumsy edit with your fingers as apposed to just taking your laptop and having a little more accuracy with the mouse pad?

I think if you want to pass your post processing to anyone, pass it to a professional company like side car post.

Who really is going to pay a professional photographer to take a photo, only to then have to do all the post processing for themselves?

Sounds like you spent money on a tablet and are desperately trying to find a productive use for it.
I bought my other half one a few years ago, she prefers to use her phone, I prefer to use the laptop, so it just gathers dust. Waste of money in the end.

So your workflow is take the picture, upload it to your tablet, quick edit, show to client, upload again to a computer, re edit with more care and precision, show to client again.

Tether it to a computer, have it automatically load a preset that gets you 80/90% to where you need to be, show the client that before working on the other 10/20%. That way the client doesn't have to see a flat raw conversion and you stream line the whole process.

Your adding to your workload, not to mention your clients workload, it doesn't make sense.

The client has chosen you and your artistic vision, by doing that they trust you to do the job and not just a little bit of it.

Passing PP to a client is saying that they shouldn't trust you, because you have no real belief in your own final product.

josh5k
359 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Bangalore, India
Mar 14, 2015 05:12 |  #6

jimeuph1 wrote in post #17473645external link
How is that any easier than running it quickly through lightroom?

If you can go to the effort of taking your tablet and doing a clumsy edit with your fingers as apposed to just taking your laptop and having a little more accuracy with the mouse pad?

I think if you want to pass your post processing to anyone, pass it to a professional company like side car post.

Who really is going to pay a professional photographer to take a photo, only to then have to do all the post processing for themselves?

Sounds like you spent money on a tablet and are desperately trying to find a productive use for it.
I bought my other half one a few years ago, she prefers to use her phone, I prefer to use the laptop, so it just gathers dust. Waste of money in the end.

So your workflow is take the picture, upload it to your tablet, quick edit, show to client, upload again to a computer, re edit with more care and precision, show to client again.

Tether it to a computer, have it automatically load a preset that gets you 80/90% to where you need to be, show the client that before working on the other 10/20%. That way the client doesn't have to see a flat raw conversion and you stream line the whole process.

Your adding to your workload, not to mention your clients workload, it doesn't make sense.

The client has chosen you and your artistic vision, by doing that they trust you to do the job and not just a little bit of it.

Passing PP to a client is saying that they shouldn't trust you, because you have no real belief in your own final product.

Whoa - Holy Load of Assumptions there Batman!!

- A lot of photographers do their own post processing too; A quick edit on the tablet is just to check if a specific concept works or perhaps to show the client the direction of the edit, which I'm more than open to doing esp when I have a good relationship with them. I find the tablet to be lighter to carry and easy enough to make quick edits. If laptop is the way for you, go with it.

- There is WiFi on a whole lotta cameras and Canon provides an app to sync. Not sure if you've heard of it.

- Perhaps doesn't make sense to your style of working.

- Where on earth have I mentioned passing PP to anyone but me?

- Seriously that's the fantasy essay you came up with, from my one line just mentioning that I do use a tablet for occasional quick edits? Wow, just wow!! Terry Pratchett has an heir apparent.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Mar 14, 2015 06:23 |  #7

josh5k wrote in post #17474383external link
Whoa - Holy Load of Assumptions there Batman!!

- A lot of photographers do their own post processing too; A quick edit on the tablet is just to check if a specific concept works or perhaps to show the client the direction of the edit, which I'm more than open to doing esp when I have a good relationship with them. I find the tablet to be lighter to carry and easy enough to make quick edits. If laptop is the way for you, go with it.

- There is WiFi on a whole lotta cameras and Canon provides an app to sync. Not sure if you've heard of it.

- Perhaps doesn't make sense to your style of working.

- Where on earth have I mentioned passing PP to anyone but me?

- Seriously that's the fantasy essay you came up with, from my one line just mentioning that I do use a tablet for occasional quick edits? Wow, just wow!! Terry Pratchett has an heir apparent.

Pretty big assumption thinking that jimeiph1 was talking to you.

OP, I think it is a pretty rare occourance that a photographer would want a novice editing his pics. I avoid it at all costs, and I deal with graphic artists and design studios not models.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

josh5k
359 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Bangalore, India
Mar 14, 2015 06:29 |  #8

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17474406external link
Pretty big assumption thinking that jimeiph1 was talking to you.

OP, I think it is a pretty rare occourance that a photographer would want a novice editing his pics. I avoid it at all costs, and I deal with graphic artists and design studios not models.

<note to self> Never get online after drinks </end>

My apologies to ya OP!

DreamWerks
Joined Jul 2015
Aug 08, 2015 18:24 |  #9

Lightroom ftw

tdlavigne
304 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Aug 10, 2015 18:42 |  #10

I don't think many models would care to be honest...as the majority of models who "edit" photos typically just run them through instagram filters.

That being said, I'm not sure how this would appeal to photographers either...as I haven't really seen much (read: nothing) so far on a phone that can replicate what Lightroom can do....much less Photoshop. Unless you mean "editing" as in the culling and image selection process, instead of "retouching" (the manipulation of images). Even then though I'm not sure there'd be a reason to do it on a phone instead of laptop or home computer. Maybe a tablet?

Not trying to be overly negative, but I just don't see it working out to well, especially when you say "hi-end edits". I don't know if it'll get the traffic/following you're looking for.

TooManyHobbies
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,734 posts
Joined Mar 2006
Raleigh, NC, USA!
Aug 10, 2015 19:01 as a reply to tdlavigne's post |  #11

I actually had several models and MUAs say they would be very interested after seeing what I can do on my phone. I actually amazed 3 photographers too.

As I said before I mainly use it to explore artistic directions before sitting down and editing in PS, but the power of apps is getting better everday and obviously unknown to many.

Just as camera phones are now an artistic medium, you need to see what is available. I have a Samsung Note 3 and using 4 different apps I can take a SOOC image and make it portfolio worthy at 1080HD resolution. I have some phone edits that could probably win MM POTD.

~ Jeff

JMM Photography ~ Discovering Art in Everyday Lifeexternal link | Model Mayhem #675060external link

tdlavigne
304 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Aug 10, 2015 19:26 as a reply to TooManyHobbies's post |  #12

Well if you think there's a market for it and you have the time/resources to do it, then I say go for it. Can't possibly hurt.

I would be interested if there were options for tablet editing (even if strictly color/exposure adjustments); so if there were some type of crossover I'd be one to check it out. I heard something about LR for iPads a while back but not sure how/if that came to fruition.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Aug 10, 2015 19:30 as a reply to TooManyHobbies's post |  #13

So did you right the article?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

TooManyHobbies
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,734 posts
Joined Mar 2006
Raleigh, NC, USA!
Aug 10, 2015 20:55 |  #14

Sadly no. My world got complicated and I have been spending time trying to teach my kids things. What little time I have lately has been devoted to going back over the tons of images I have but didn't do anything with.

~ Jeff

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Aug 10, 2015 21:59 |  #15

Our lives sound a whole lot alike. LOL

Care to share your favorite apps? I actually spent some time trying to work out a decent workflow but decided it just wasn't going to give me the benefit I was hoping for. I decided that if I have an image that is very close SOOC I would be willing to do a phone edit. Otherwise I just wait till I get back home.

The ability to edit a true RAW file would change all that.

6,294 views & 3 likes for this thread
Smart Phone Editing
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.