Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Pets Talk
Thread started 25 Jan 2015 (Sunday) 15:39
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Does this work

Domcat
Joined Jan 2015
Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England
Jan 25, 2015 15:39 |  #1

I took the camera out on the dog walk the other morning. The 18-55 lens that was on it has got a broken AF so needs to be manually focused.
I wanted to try and get pics of Ruby (the dog) whilst she was moving, basically to see how easy or hard it is to manually focus on moving target. Quite hard as i found out, especially if the subject is coming straight at you. Anyway back to the point of "does this work", as you can see in this shot her eyes are in focus (well nearly) but her muzzle and ball are out of focus. Would it make a better shot if her whole face was in focus or left as is?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

DGStinner
Joined Jan 2014
Middlesex, New Jersey
Jan 25, 2015 17:08 |  #2

It looks to me that her left ear is in focus but her eyes are not. It's fine if the muzzle and ball are out of focus but you want to get the eyes tack sharp, which I realize wasn't going to be easy having to manually focus on a moving subject. Another option would've been to have a smaller aperture so you have a wider focal range.

Dave Stinner
Gripped 7DII | Rebel T3
EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Rokinon 8mm | Sigma 150-600
My Gear on Lenstag (external link) | flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Personal IG (external link)| Regular IG (external link)

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
Joined Dec 2008
Hangin' with the Muffins at the Moose Mosque
Jan 26, 2015 14:20 |  #3

DGStinner wrote in post #17399935external link
It looks to me that her left ear is in focus but her eyes are not. It's fine if the muzzle and ball are out of focus but you want to get the eyes tack sharp, which I realize wasn't going to be easy having to manually focus on a moving subject. Another option would've been to have a smaller aperture so you have a wider focal range.

+1 to all, but I think you meant "depth of field" rather than "focal range."

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)

oscardog
Joined Dec 2011
Long Beach, Ca
Jan 28, 2015 14:46 |  #4

I agree the focus looks like its on the left ear with the focus falling after the eyes. I shoot dogs at the dog park all the time and cant imagine trying to use Manual Focus to get action shots of dogs. Either keep trying or buy a new lens with good AF.

The canon 85 1.8 or 100 f2 or relatively cheap and great action lenses. The AF on them is real fast and they are a good length for shooting dogs. I now use a 70-200 or 135 f2 for my dog park shots.

Gear: 6D, 7d Mark II, Canon 16-35 f4 IS, Sigma 24mm 1.8, Canon 70-200 f4 (non IS), Sigma 500 4.5 DG, Kenko 1.4x & 2x converters

lvovsky
98 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Feb 01, 2015 00:35 |  #5

It would make it better if there was more of her face in focus. With manual focus, try pre-focusing on a patch of grass that she might be running through. and keep shutter at 1/2000.

Flickrexternal link Google+external link
:: 6D :: 40D :: S95

2,249 views & 1 like for this thread
Does this work
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Pets Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.