Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Food Photography & Visual Recipes
Thread started 25 Jan 2015 (Sunday) 18:43
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Beignet - C&C please

vilimo
526 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Jan 25, 2015 18:43 |  #1

My wife likes to cook and bake (good for me :D)... and I usually took some pic of the product. Please let me know your C&C on this

IMAGE: http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-M1r70LGAvC8/VMWM7ln4RyI/AAAAAAAAQ7E/Mx-GWf1k2NM/w1000-h615-no/Benet-5.jpg

sponsored links
Lupo-Lobo
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2013
Texas
Jan 25, 2015 20:05 |  #2

They look delicious and have me wishing to try ... so that is half the battle. The image quality seems fine and the angle of view as well. For me, and it is just my personal taste, the background/matt is a little distracting or perhaps busy. I prefer white plates (again, a personal taste) and I find myself wishing you had used a more diffuse light. A good photo and you are a lucky guy that your wife can cook like that .... they look delicious and I have never even had one before. :-)

Lupo

OhLook
Spiderwoman
14,966 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Jan 25, 2015 20:07 |  #3

First, a disclaimer: I'm no expert at food photography or any other kind. These are just impressions.

The beignets are attractively presented, but improvements are possible. I'd like to see a greater color range. Yellow and orange predominate. Maybe use a different plate or a different place mat. I'd also like to see more modeling, for an increased 3-D look. This can be made if the light is more narrowly directional, as opposed to uniform, and comes somewhat from the side, not just from above (the shadows are directly under the beignets).

The area of clear focus is far enough back that the powdered sugar on parts of the closest pastries runs together and appears to be a solid surface. Exposure too high for white may have contributed to this effect; also, perhaps, an excess of sugar. On the ones at the far side of the plate, it doesn't matter because we expect blur there, but the topping on the near ones would be more appealing as separate particles, the way it is where it's in focus and not so thickly sprinkled.

These are all nitpicky comments. I offer them because that's what I have!

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

vilimo
THREAD ­ STARTER
526 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Jan 26, 2015 07:35 |  #4

Lupo-Lobo wrote in post #17400209external link
They look delicious and have me wishing to try ... so that is half the battle. The image quality seems fine and the angle of view as well. For me, and it is just my personal taste, the background/matt is a little distracting or perhaps busy. I prefer white plates (again, a personal taste) and I find myself wishing you had used a more diffuse light. A good photo and you are a lucky guy that your wife can cook like that .... they look delicious and I have never even had one before. :-)

Lupo,

Thank you very much for your input. We do have different color plates but I guess the boss chose this one :)... Will post other food with different plates / color in the future :D...

As for lighting, you are correct that I did not diffuse the light. I used 3 shop lights actually (from home depot). Will need to get / make a diffuser for those lights. Thanks again for the input.

vilimo
THREAD ­ STARTER
526 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Jan 26, 2015 07:40 |  #5

OhLook wrote in post #17400216external link
First, a disclaimer: I'm no expert at food photography or any other kind. These are just impressions.

The beignets are attractively presented, but improvements are possible. I'd like to see a greater color range. Yellow and orange predominate. Maybe use a different plate or a different place mat. I'd also like to see more modeling, for an increased 3-D look. This can be made if the light is more narrowly directional, as opposed to uniform, and comes somewhat from the side, not just from above (the shadows are directly under the beignets).

The area of clear focus is far enough back that the powdered sugar on parts of the closest pastries runs together and appears to be a solid surface. Exposure too high for white may have contributed to this effect; also, perhaps, an excess of sugar. On the ones at the far side of the plate, it doesn't matter because we expect blur there, but the topping on the near ones would be more appealing as separate particles, the way it is where it's in focus and not so thickly sprinkled.

These are all nitpicky comments. I offer them because that's what I have!

Hi, thank you very much for the input. I agree with you on the sugar blob on the near beignets... should have focused on those instead of the ones further back. Also, will try with different lightings in the future. However, can you please help / explain more on what you meant by exposure is too high? Are you saying that I need to stopped down further?

Thanks again for your input

OhLook
Spiderwoman
14,966 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Jan 26, 2015 10:51 |  #6

vilimo wrote in post #17400673external link
However, can you please help / explain more on what you meant by exposure is too high? Are you saying that I need to stopped down further?

That's one way. It'll also increase the depth of field. Or to keep the DoF as is, use the same aperture and shorten the exposure time. Or move the lights farther away so they don't illuminate the sugary tops much more than the fronts and sides.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

vilimo
THREAD ­ STARTER
526 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Jan 26, 2015 10:59 |  #7

OhLook wrote in post #17400942external link
That's one way. It'll also increase the depth of field. Or to keep the DoF as is, use the same aperture and shorten the exposure time. Or move the lights farther away so they don't illuminate the sugary tops much more than the fronts and sides.

Got it.... thanks so much for your help. Will try this on the next project :D...

TYPEII
31 posts
Joined Mar 2008
Jan 27, 2015 12:38 |  #8

Looks yummy... Ya the Bamboo mat is distracting, white background would be best. Now I am craving for some, last time I had these was at Disneyland at Cafe Orleans.

vilimo
THREAD ­ STARTER
526 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Jan 27, 2015 15:04 as a reply to TYPEII's post |  #9

Thanks for the input TypeII :D... you need to go to New Orleans for the real one :D

anliz
Joined Aug 2012
Jan 29, 2015 01:10 |  #10

@vilimo , either use white or black background , also use a smaller plate - white or something with blue accent . Maybe put a cup of coffee at the top right corner ? :D

Nogo
I could have been worse....
Joined Dec 2013
All Along the Natchez Trace (Clinton, MS)
Jan 29, 2015 02:33 |  #11

vilimo wrote in post #17402892external link
Thanks for the input TypeII :D... you need to go to New Orleans for the real one :D

What do you mean one? After walking to get to Cafe Du Mont by Jackson Square and standing in line just to get in the place, I am going to eat more than one!

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

Nogo
I could have been worse....
Joined Dec 2013
All Along the Natchez Trace (Clinton, MS)
Jan 29, 2015 02:42 as a reply to OhLook's post |  #12

OhLook there is not an excess of sugar on these beignets. One of the first things you do when you go to New Orleans with friends who have never been there is to take them to get beignets. The reason you do this is to watch them eat them the first time. Everyone who eats them the first time fails to hold their breath when they take a bite. Power sugar goes everywhere.

Just saying, too much powdered sugar is the signature part of this dish. When you go down there bring a camera, you are almost guaranteed to get a shot of someone with powdered sugar all over themselves due to the lack of experience eating this food. These beignets have no where near the powered sugar on them they would have at Cafe Du Monde.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

vilimo
THREAD ­ STARTER
526 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Jan 29, 2015 07:59 |  #13

Nogo wrote in post #17405259external link
What do you mean one? After walking to get to Cafe Du Mont by Jackson Square and standing in line just to get in the place, I am going to eat more than one!

:-P... completely agree with you on that!!! That is why we put so many on plates.... Also, you've got to love them pralines :D

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Jan 29, 2015 08:01 |  #14

yum.

often single light sources provide good light for food. Or at least one strong and one fill light. The shadows under the beignet show the double shadow, maybe its a large tube fluorescent but either way, light coming from one direction generally gives texture and depth to the food.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

vilimo
THREAD ­ STARTER
526 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Jan 29, 2015 08:01 as a reply to anliz's post |  #15

Anliz, thanks for the input. We wanted to put them onto smaller plates but it did not look appetizing... you cannot have only 1-2 beignets :D... that is a major sin  :p

sponsored links

2,214 views & 2 likes for this thread
Beignet - C&C please
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Food Photography & Visual Recipes

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.