Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 26 Jan 2015 (Monday) 11:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Toploader Zoom 55 AW II to fit 7D Mk I + 100-400mm Mk I ?

nordlysBW
346 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 26, 2015 11:04 |  #1

Would a 7D Mark I + 100-400mm Mark I (with or without the tripod ring and tripod plate) fit into a Lowepro Zoom 55AW II?

And thinking of the future: any chance of fitting the Mark II equivalents into the same bag?

The Lowepro Toploader Pro 75 AW might work better but weighs too much (7kg max carry-on weight on a few planned flights this year. As other gear comes with me every gram counts)

sponsored links
dodgyexposure
Goldmember
2,857 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 27, 2015 00:55 |  #2

Judging by the stated dimensions on Lowepro's website, it should fit.

I have the Pro 75, and it fits a gripped 6D with 70-200 2.8 (hood reversed) easily. From the website, it appears from the internal dimesnions that the 55 AW II is slightly deeper than the Pro 75 (30 cm v 29.2 cm), so the mounted 100-400 should fit.

Bear in mind that the Pro versions have a more square profile to fit 1 series or gripped bodies - this gives a bit more wiggle room - I find this helpful when I don't have the grip on, becase I use an L-plate - "normal" dimension toploaders are too narrow for the 6D plus L-plate.

Cheers, Damien

nordlysBW
THREAD ­ STARTER
346 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 27, 2015 11:55 as a reply to  @ dodgyexposure's post |  #3

Thanks Damien! I had come to about the same conclusion looking at the dimensions, but as any body/lens combo has an odd three dimensional wedge shape there is a chance that the body could get stuck somewhere down in the 55AW. With these bags it is difficult to assess at which point the narrower part gets too tight for the body. The overall length should be ok. I guess the Pro 75 works, but it is too heavy for the intended use.

Perhaps somebody has exactly the right combination and can post a picture.

nordlysBW
THREAD ­ STARTER
346 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 01, 2015 11:22 |  #4

I had a chance to try one. It definitelely fits.

Now if somebody could confirm that the Mark II versions, which I might own later, also fit, I'd be delighted.

nordlysBW
THREAD ­ STARTER
346 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 19, 2018 11:19 |  #5

While the 7D II + 100-400mm Mark I fits well even with the Canon tripod ring mounted and an Arca-Swiss plate in place, the combination 7D II + 100-400mm Mark II is a rather tight fit. The L-shaped tripod ring foot clearly rubs against the inside lining of the Toploader. It can easily be taken off for sure, but this somehow limits the convenience of having it permanently on when you shoot both handheld and with a tripod.

sawsedge
741 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 19, 2018 19:30 as a reply to  @ nordlysBW's post |  #6

This might save a little space over the foot + plate:
https://www.kirkphoto.​com …f-4-5-5-6l-is-ii-usm.html (external link)

- John

IanD
Cream of the Crop
Honorary Moderator
5,332 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2003

Jan 20, 2018 06:54 |  #7

I have a 55AW and it does indeed fit a &D MKII with the 100-400 MKII. Another option for you to look a if you have not already ordered the 55AW is the Kinesis C850 Holster Bag (XL)
I want my rig in the "ready to fire" position and the Kinesis allows me to fit my 7D MKII or 5D MKIV with the 100-400 MKII with the sun shade in the shooting position. Excellent quality bag but it does not come with a shoulder strap. I keep a Kirk plate on my lens and there is no issue with fit in either dab but the collar is rotated to the top of the lens body. If you would like a couple of cell phone pics, just let me know.
Cheers.

Ian (®Feathers & Fur)
Have You Hugged Your Mallard Today?
More Images- (external link)My Gear
flickr

nordlysBW
THREAD ­ STARTER
346 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 20, 2018 09:00 |  #8

sawsedge wrote in post #18544754 (external link)
This might save a little space over the foot + plate:
https://www.kirkphoto.​com …f-4-5-5-6l-is-ii-usm.html (external link)

Yes, I saw that one and a knock-off version on the web. But I can live without it. Thanks all the same for mentioning it as it might come in handy for other users.

nordlysBW
THREAD ­ STARTER
346 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited 3 months ago by nordlysBW. (2 edits in all)

Jan 20, 2018 09:16 |  #9

IanD wrote in post #18544962 (external link)
I have a 55AW and it does indeed fit a &D MKII with the 100-400 MKII. Another option for you to look a if you have not already ordered the 55AW is the Kinesis C850 Holster Bag (XL)
I want my rig in the "ready to fire" position and the Kinesis allows me to fit my 7D MKII or 5D MKIV with the 100-400 MKII with the sun shade in the shooting position. Excellent quality bag but it does not come with a shoulder strap. I keep a Kirk plate on my lens and there is no issue with fit in either dab but the collar is rotated to the top of the lens body. If you would like a couple of cell phone pics, just let me know.
Cheers.

I have had the 55AW II for years and am very pleased to be able to carry it strapped in front of me when I hike with a backpack. Anything longer or bulkier becomes a pain when (1) I use the bag with the chest harness instead of carrying it with the standard shoulder strap, (2) when I fly and pack it in my carry-on. Rotating the collar to move the foot sideways is also a satisfactory solution for me right now with the 55AW II, even though it is not ideal. Luckily enough, the bag is wide enough in that dimension to accomodate the lens mounted on the 7D II.

This being said, the Kinesis looks great. Thanks! Unfortunately for people like me who live on the other side of the Big Pond, it is not available in the shops or online as far as I can see.

IanD
Cream of the Crop
Honorary Moderator
5,332 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2003

Jan 20, 2018 14:19 |  #10

nordlysBW wrote in post #18545035 (external link)
I have had the 55AW II for years and am very pleased to be able to carry it strapped in front of me when I hike with a backpack. Anything longer or bulkier becomes a pain when (1) I use the bag that way instead of carrying it with the standard shoulder strap, (2) when I fly and pack it in my carry-on. Rotating the collar to move the foot sideways is also a satisfactory solution for me right now with the 55AW II, even though it is not ideal. Luckily enough, the bag is wide enough in that dimension to accomodate the lens mounted on the 7D II.

This being said, the Kinesis looks great. Thanks! Unfortunately for people like me who live on the other side of the Big Pond, it is not available in the shops or online as far as I can see.

Did not realize you were on the "other side" :). I am north of the 49th and ordered mine from B&H. You could wear the Kinesis as you wear the Lowe Pro but it would definitely be longer and probably a pain, unless you were 7' tall.
Cheers.

Ian (®Feathers & Fur)
Have You Hugged Your Mallard Today?
More Images- (external link)My Gear
flickr

nordlysBW
THREAD ­ STARTER
346 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 21, 2018 07:11 as a reply to  @ IanD's post |  #11

@Ian
You wrote. "I am north of the 49th". Just a hair under 59th north for me, but with the benefits of the Gulf Stream ;-)a
Yes, indeed, the length would not be ideal. Lowepro still have a 70AW and a 75AW, but I discarded them at the time because of that. As I wrote yesterday, rotating the whole ring with foot and Arca-Swiss plate attached 90┬░ is an acceptable compromise for me. When I get to where I start shooting it is no big deal to take the combo out of the bag, fix the lensshade and set the ring back.
Thanks for sharing your insights on the subject.

sponsored links

1,207 views & 1 like for this thread
Toploader Zoom 55 AW II to fit 7D Mk I + 100-400mm Mk I ?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.