Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings
Thread started 27 Jan 2015 (Tuesday) 12:19
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sunset reflection on a tower (CC welcome)

grazamataz
Joined Oct 2014
Springfield, MO
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by grazamataz.
Jan 27, 2015 12:19 |  #1

This tower is across the street from where I work and I always liked the way the sunset reflected on it. I finally took some photos yesterday since I just received my 24-105 f/4L and was excited to try it out.

This is a 3-shot bracketed exposure, merged in Photoshop and tweaked in Lightroom. It's my first foray into bracketing/HDR so any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7430/16190229788_56c554bf11_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qEFa​fU] (external link)Sunset at Hammons Tower (external link) by therealgrazamataz (external link), on Flickr

Canon 5D Mark IV || Canon 135 f/2L || Canon 85 f/1.8 || Sigma 50 f/1.4 ART || Canon 24-70 f/2.8L
Chris Greig Photography (external link)

sponsored links
bpiper7
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2007
Richmond Va.
Jan 27, 2015 12:27 |  #2

I like the colors and the processing looks pretty good but you gotta straighten that building up. ;-)a

Bill

billpiperphotos.comexternal link
Gear: 60D - 400D - 15-85 EF-S, 55-250 EF-S,18-55mm EF-S, EF, 50mm 1.8 and more stuff .

grazamataz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2014
Springfield, MO
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by grazamataz.
Jan 27, 2015 12:42 as a reply to bpiper7's post |  #3

hmmm I thought I had done that but I might be thinking of another one I was working on. I was up too late haha. I'll check that when I get home and fix it. Thanks for the comments!

Canon 5D Mark IV || Canon 135 f/2L || Canon 85 f/1.8 || Sigma 50 f/1.4 ART || Canon 24-70 f/2.8L

grazamataz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2014
Springfield, MO
Jan 27, 2015 17:44 |  #4

okay i think i fixed it. got the horizontals level but the perspective of the building still seems to be at an angle. maybe it was the way i shot it?

rgs
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2007
Oklahoma City
Jan 29, 2015 20:29 |  #5

Vertical lines are still converging. Don't tilt the camera up on site, if you can help it. If you can't prevent it on site, leave plenty of room on top and correct it in LR. In the develop module go to the "lens corrections" section then click the "manual" tab and adjust the vertical slider until it's straight. You should also check the "constrain crop" box .

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
Joined Oct 2013
NJ, USA
Jan 29, 2015 21:25 |  #6

I love the colors. The building itself holds interest as well. I think the few lights on inside and the reflection in the lower part of the building add to the interest. I did copy it and do some correction in PS but I'm still on the fence as to whether the corrected perspective looks better than this version. If you like I can post the corrected version.

IMHO, this is a great photo even without the perspective corrected.

In the future you can address the perspective issue two ways:

When shooting, keep the camera parallel level and parallel to the building to avoid falling-down effect. This will require you to use a wider focal length and you will capture unwanted foreground. You can crop the image later to get the composition you envisioned. Obviously this will result in a lower-resolution final image, but provided you don't have to crop too heavily, it still should be good quality.

Alternately, minimize the angle that you tilt the camera and shoot slightly wider to allow for later perspective adjustment in LR or PS.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickrexternal link | Picasaexternal link | Youtubeexternal link | Facebookexternal link | Image editing is okay

grazamataz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2014
Springfield, MO
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by grazamataz. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 29, 2015 22:29 |  #7

holy crap thank you both. i didn't even realize how bad the vertical convergence was until i tried your tips and saw the changes. unfortunately i was on top of a parking garage and about as far back as i could go, so i did have to tilt the camera up--i will remember that for future attempts though. this is my first crack at this type of photography. i also now see what you mean about leaving plenty of space up top since a lot of that got lost with the vertical correction.

thanks for the compliments on the colors. i was pretty excited with how they turned out.

how does this look? it's not perfect but it's better i think. this was about as much as i could fix it without cutting off the top of the tower.

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7430/16190229788_c2a5057e3d_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qEFa​fU] (external link)Sunset at Hammons Tower (external link) by therealgrazamataz (external link), on Flickr

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
Joined Oct 2013
NJ, USA
Jan 29, 2015 23:41 |  #8

That looks better. It's still a little off but I think if you adjust it much more you wind up needing to narrow the crop too much, or spend time cloning to fill in the space.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickrexternal link | Picasaexternal link | Youtubeexternal link | Facebookexternal link | Image editing is okay

rob ­ ashcroft
Joined Jul 2013
West Wales, UK
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by rob ashcroft.
Jan 30, 2015 11:04 |  #9

I love the colours on the building, but that concrete section at the bottom rather detracts from the effect for me. I might have gone in closer with a wider lens and just captured the building, or part of it, perhaps with a very slanting angle That would have made for a much more abstract shot, but with those colours I think it would work well. You could always try that as it's opposite where you work? Good shot though.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, EOS Digital Rebel XT / EOS 350D / Kiss Digital N | Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, EF 28-105mm f/4-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Sigma 15mm f/2.8 EX Fisheye, 105mm f/2.8 Macro EX | Nissin Di866 Mark II Flash | Sigma EM-140 DG Macro Ring Flash | Canon Speedlite 430EX II | Yongnuo YN460-II

rgs
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2007
Oklahoma City
Jan 30, 2015 11:37 |  #10

The convergence is certainly better. Unfortunately what remains just emphasizes that it's there and you are out of room at the top. Traditionally convergence is eliminated. The alternative that is sometimes effective is to celebrate it. Get right to the bottom of the building and point the camera up significantly. It's a kind of "in your face" approach that sometimes works. But first you get the expected on with the parallel lines.

The colors are nice and this is a very good shot to learn from.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

grazamataz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2014
Springfield, MO
Jan 31, 2015 09:57 |  #11

rob ashcroft wrote in post #17407200external link
I love the colours on the building, but that concrete section at the bottom rather detracts from the effect for me. I might have gone in closer with a wider lens and just captured the building, or part of it, perhaps with a very slanting angle That would have made for a much more abstract shot, but with those colours I think it would work well. You could always try that as it's opposite where you work? Good shot though.

i thought i should have the concrete there for context so it wouldn't look like the building was just floating but i see your point too. you are correct, it's across the street from my work so i will certainly be trying again and working with different angles. i'm trying to get some of the technical stuff down before i start getting too abstract :lol:

rgs wrote in post #17407261external link
The convergence is certainly better. Unfortunately what remains just emphasizes that it's there and you are out of room at the top. Traditionally convergence is eliminated. The alternative that is sometimes effective is to celebrate it. Get right to the bottom of the building and point the camera up significantly. It's a kind of "in your face" approach that sometimes works. But first you get the expected on with the parallel lines.

The colors are nice and this is a very good shot to learn from.

thank you! i will try some alternate angles next time and see what else i can come up with. i am pretty satisfied with it for my first. definitely lots to learn from, especially thanks to everyone on this forum.

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
12,968 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Dec 2010
In The Sticks
Jan 31, 2015 10:02 |  #12

I'm loving the gradient on the building against the gradient of the sky. Nice catch!

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
Joined Oct 2013
NJ, USA
Feb 01, 2015 17:14 |  #13

I think the concrete and fence on the bottom are an important part of the composition. It grounds the building and gives a sense of scale.

grazamataz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2014
Springfield, MO
Feb 02, 2015 07:02 |  #14

thank you CameraMan! it really looks awesome when there's a good sunset--I actually didn't even anticipate that much gradient in the sky behind the building.

bumpintheroad, that was my thinking too. i just wish it wasn't such ugly concrete.

sponsored links

2,685 views & 3 likes for this thread
Sunset reflection on a tower (CC welcome)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.