Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th of February 2006 (Sat)   #1
JennB
Member
 
JennB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 893
Arrow Please post some photos from your Canon 28mm f/1.8 lens...

Hello everybody,

I am thinking about buying this lens as part of my current collection. Would you please post photos you have taken with the 28mm f/1.8? Do you think this would be a good addition for low light/indoor sports photography?

Thanks in advance!
__________________
~Jenn~
"Raise the bar to a level only you can jump!"
{Gear List & Market Feedback}
JennB is online now   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 25th of February 2006 (Sat)   #2
Bill S
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 239
Default Re: Please post some photos from your Canon 28mm f/1.8 lens...

Jenn I see you have the 85 1.8. The 28 is wide how do you imagine using it? What sport?
__________________
Bill
Canon 1DMkII, Zooms: Canon 17-40 F4, Canon 24-70 2.8, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS, Sigma 120-300 2.8 EX DG , Canon 1.4 TC
Primes: Canon 28 1.8, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 85 1.8, 400 2.8 II, Speedlite 420ex, Speedlite 580ex.
Bill S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of February 2006 (Sat)   #3
blacksmurf
Member
 
blacksmurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Italy
Posts: 229
Default Re: Please post some photos from your Canon 28mm f/1.8 lens...

I bought it for low-light shots, when I'm too close to the subjects for the 50f1.4, which I consider better.
28f1.8 is not as sharp as 50f1.4 and may not focuses so quick, but it's solid and I'm happy to use it.
__________________
G6; 30D, 40D, 28F1.8, 50F1.4, 60F2.8M, 85F1.8, 10-22, 17-85IS, 70-300IS
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ilcantiere/

blacksmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 25th of February 2006 (Sat)   #4
subtle_spectre
Senior Member
 
subtle_spectre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,657
Default Re: Please post some photos from your Canon 28mm f/1.8 lens...

I think this lens is every bit as good as the 50/1.4 and 85/1.8 in terms of IQ, build, etc. It is fast in low light and quick to focus. I like it very much.
__________________

Scott

Vista owner...and user _________________________________________

Gear

www.scottcphotography.com


subtle_spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of February 2006 (Sat)   #5
Steve Parr
should have taken his own advice
 
Steve Parr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 6,593
Default Re: Please post some photos from your Canon 28mm f/1.8 lens...

Here's one I shot from the top of the CN Tower in Toronto last August:




And here's a shot inside a theatre in San Diego's North County:



I find that I don't use it nearly as often as I thought I would. Even still, when I want it, I'm glad I have it. I found mine used, and am generally happy to have it...
Steve Parr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of February 2006 (Sat)   #6
JennB
Member
 
JennB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 893
Smile Re: Please post some photos from your Canon 28mm f/1.8 lens...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill S
Jenn I see you have the 85 1.8. The 28 is wide how do you imagine using it? What sport?
Hi Bill,

I was thinking of using it for group shots of my daughter's cheerleading team. Will the lens be good for that? I will be taking the pictures while they are doing their routine. What do you think?
__________________
~Jenn~
"Raise the bar to a level only you can jump!"
{Gear List & Market Feedback}
JennB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of February 2006 (Sat)   #7
JennB
Member
 
JennB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 893
Smile Re: Please post some photos from your Canon 28mm f/1.8 lens...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmurf
I bought it for low-light shots, when I'm too close to the subjects for the 50f1.4, which I consider better.
28f1.8 is not as sharp as 50f1.4 and may not focuses so quick, but it's solid and I'm happy to use it.
Thank you for the comments! It would probably be useful for me because I'll be taking group shots, so this lens should be wide enough.
__________________
~Jenn~
"Raise the bar to a level only you can jump!"
{Gear List & Market Feedback}
JennB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of February 2006 (Sat)   #8
JennB
Member
 
JennB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 893
Question Re: Please post some photos from your Canon 28mm f/1.8 lens...

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtle_spectre
I think this lens is every bit as good as the 50/1.4 and 85/1.8 in terms of IQ, build, etc. It is fast in low light and quick to focus. I like it very much.
Thanks, Scott! I have heard the 28mm doesn't focus as quickly as the 50mm or 85mm. Have you experienced the opposite?
__________________
~Jenn~
"Raise the bar to a level only you can jump!"
{Gear List & Market Feedback}
JennB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of February 2006 (Sat)   #9
JennB
Member
 
JennB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 893
Cool Re: Please post some photos from your Canon 28mm f/1.8 lens...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Parr
Here's one I shot from the top of the CN Tower in Toronto last August:




And here's a shot inside a theatre in San Diego's North County:



I find that I don't use it nearly as often as I thought I would. Even still, when I want it, I'm glad I have it. I found mine used, and am generally happy to have it...
Wow, Steve! I love your first photo! The 28mm does seem to be pretty sharp. Did you shoot it wide open? Sorry to ask...I don't have an exif reader.
__________________
~Jenn~
"Raise the bar to a level only you can jump!"
{Gear List & Market Feedback}
JennB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of February 2006 (Sat)   #10
subtle_spectre
Senior Member
 
subtle_spectre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,657
Default Re: Please post some photos from your Canon 28mm f/1.8 lens...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennB
Thanks, Scott! I have heard the 28mm doesn't focus as quickly as the 50mm or 85mm. Have you experienced the opposite?
Hmmm....I think it is every bit as fast. It's a quality piece for its price and applications.
__________________

Scott

Vista owner...and user _________________________________________

Gear

www.scottcphotography.com


subtle_spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of February 2006 (Sat)   #11
Bosphorousman
Member
 
Bosphorousman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH USA
Posts: 69
Default Re: Please post some photos from your Canon 28mm f/1.8 lens...

Here are some shots taken with the 300D:

http://www.pbase.com/bosphorousman/inbox

If you're using a 1.6 sensor camera and focusing at wide apertures, larger than f3.5 - f3.0, then you need to turn the MF to the right past the point of focus. Then press the shutter half way to zero in on your subject. This will give you more accurate focusing with the Digital Rebels. The 20D is supposed to have better focusing with larger aperture settings.

Hope this helps! It's a great little lens.
Bosphorousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of February 2006 (Sat)   #12
Steve Parr
should have taken his own advice
 
Steve Parr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 6,593
Default Re: Please post some photos from your Canon 28mm f/1.8 lens...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennB
Wow, Steve! I love your first photo! The 28mm does seem to be pretty sharp. Did you shoot it wide open? Sorry to ask...I don't have an exif reader.
Thanks!

Yes, both of those were wide open...
Steve Parr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of February 2006 (Sat)   #13
newfly5
Member
 
newfly5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: kansas
Posts: 372
Default Re: Please post some photos from your Canon 28mm f/1.8 lens...

Just to see on portrait. I dont do portrait yet but this is the 28
Ben
newfly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of February 2006 (Sat)   #14
newfly5
Member
 
newfly5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: kansas
Posts: 372
Default Re: Please post some photos from your Canon 28mm f/1.8 lens...

i guess it didnt upload
newfly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of February 2006 (Sun)   #15
JennB
Member
 
JennB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 893
Smile Re: Please post some photos from your Canon 28mm f/1.8 lens...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosphorousman
Here are some shots taken with the 300D:

http://www.pbase.com/bosphorousman/inbox

If you're using a 1.6 sensor camera and focusing at wide apertures, larger than f3.5 - f3.0, then you need to turn the MF to the right past the point of focus. Then press the shutter half way to zero in on your subject. This will give you more accurate focusing with the Digital Rebels. The 20D is supposed to have better focusing with larger aperture settings.

Hope this helps! It's a great little lens.
Thanks for the tip! I really like the pictures in your gallery. Gives me a glimpse of what this lens can do. Have you ever used it for indoor sports?

Thanks again!
__________________
~Jenn~
"Raise the bar to a level only you can jump!"
{Gear List & Market Feedback}
JennB is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
canon 28mm 2.8f lens jimbobski Canon EOS Digital Cameras 0 19th of January 2003 (Sun) 14:15


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
This forum is not affiliated with Canon in any way and is run as a free user helpsite by Pekka Saarinen, Helsinki Finland. You will need to register in order to be able to post messages. Cookies are required for registering and posting. HTML in messages is not allowed, plain website addresses are automatically made active by the board.