Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Food Photography & Visual Recipes
Thread started 29 Jan 2015 (Thursday) 07:53
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Cooked and photographed in your home kitchen ...

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by Left Handed Brisket. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 29, 2015 07:53 |  #1

I know that there is a huge thread with all kinds of food pics from before the board expansion, but I like OhLook's idea of themed threads now that we have a dedicated food forum. If you like it too, please join in.

We have a tiny kitchen but come up with what I think is a bunch of good food, generally cheap and easy. I baked off a whole side of wild alaskan salmon the other day and stuck it in the fridge thinking I would somehow serve it cold throughout the week. So last night I made a cold lemon caper sauce and served the close to room temp salmon over it with a big bed of greens. Sauce was just mayo, chopped and whole capers, lemon, a little of the caper brine and a touch of milk to thin it out a bit more. I had never used my wide lens to take a food shot so that's what i did. I wish the focus point was a bit nearer the camera.

edit: dining room shots encouraged too, so taking the pic in the kitchen is optional :D

[XATTACH]710237[/XATTA​CH]

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links
OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,316 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Jan 29, 2015 10:48 |  #2

It does look good. I agree about the focus point. For scenes like this, I often find it necessary to check the screen and take several shots.

A wide-angle lens, which is all I have, distorts the shapes of dinnerware a lot. This didn't affect your shot, but it does when a whole dish is shown. I've wondered whether getting farther away and zooming would make plates look more properly round or square.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

Lupo-Lobo
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2013
Texas
Jan 29, 2015 13:45 |  #3

What a great idea for a thread ... it is much closer to how what I end up doing in the kitchen. I love to cook (not bake - not smart enough for that) - love to document and share a good meal as well.

Here is one from a few years back and I will include a link to the recipe for anyone interested in giving it a try.

IMAGE: http://lupo-lobo.com/photoblog/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/2011cornedbeefcabbage-7.jpg

It is funny how ones visual taste change over time - I find I use less saturation now than several years back.

Corned Beef and Cabbage recipe for those who dare (external link).

Lupo

FOTOZA
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Dec 2014
Jan 30, 2015 11:13 |  #4

Hey

just a heads up, this is my first post on this forum.

Im planning on starting a homemade ready meal business and started photographing the dishes that im planning on selling. Im planning on using these photos in my marketing which would mostly be on local community facebook pages and maybe pamphlets. Any critique will be appreciated. The first one im uploading is of a spaghetti napolitana. It tatstes great and now i need my photos to follow suite.

Thanks in advance

Johan

Shot Details:

Canon 6D + 24-70 L (47mm)
ISO 400
1/200
F9

I basically placed it on kitchen counter and used a diffuser infront of the window.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

vilimo
527 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Jan 30, 2015 11:25 |  #5

Here are a few from me... wife made these :D

IMAGE: http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c248/vilimo/Food/Nasi-Gila-3.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://i28.photobucket​.com ...limo/Food/Nasi-Gila-3.jpg] (external link) on photobucket

IMAGE: http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c248/vilimo/Food/Sate-Padang-1.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://i28.photobucket​.com ...mo/Food/Sate-Padang-1.jpg] (external link) on photobucket

IMAGE: http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c248/vilimo/Food/Tahu-Goreng-Kecap.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://i28.photobucket​.com ...ood/Tahu-Goreng-Kecap.jpg] (external link) on photobucket

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,316 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Post has been edited 5 months ago by OhLook.
Feb 01, 2015 17:29 |  #6

Nothing fancy, just bread, hummus, and cheese, before and after broiling. Shot on a windowsill with a small foam reflector at the right.

HOSTED PHOTO

A sprinkle of paprika goes on after the broil.
HOSTED PHOTO

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

Lupo-Lobo
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2013
Texas
Feb 01, 2015 19:53 |  #7

The great thing about food is that we all have it in common - only the interpretation is different. I have had hummus before but never paired with cheese and bread. It looks good and my mental taste buds tell me it might taste pretty good as well. What kind of cheese and bread is this?

Thanks for posting.

Lupo

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,316 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Feb 01, 2015 19:58 |  #8

Lupo-Lobo wrote in post #17410914external link
It looks good and my mental taste buds tell me it might taste pretty good as well. What kind of cheese and bread is this?

Thanks. Whole-wheat bread from a local bakery, cheddar, Trader Joe's garlic hummus. I usually put the paprika on the hummus and under the cheese before heating. This time I put it on top so you could see it. Broiled paprika burns fast and turns black.

Lupo-Lobo
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2013
Texas
Feb 01, 2015 20:13 as a reply to OhLook's post |  #9

Cool and thanks - didn't know that about broiling paprika. Trader Joe's finally made it to Texas, I really need to go see what it is all about.

Lupo

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2015
Near Dallas
Feb 02, 2015 20:10 |  #10

this just happened in my kitchen :) a gorgeous Moroccan meal. The shot is lousy but the food was outstanding...all made from scratch :) Chicken tagine with apricots and olives, Moroccan roasted vegetables, rice and a lovely yogurt dip

HOSTED PHOTO

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
Facebook (external link) 500px (external link)
Live Event Painting (external link)

Lupo-Lobo
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2013
Texas
Feb 03, 2015 01:27 |  #11

I love it when things like that happen in my kitchen. Sounds and looks like a spectacular meal. If you have the time do you mind sharing the recipe? The apricots have me curious, I love 'em, just never used them in a savory dish. Interested in the spices used as well.

Thanks for posting.

Lupo

Nogo
I could have been worse....
Joined Dec 2013
All Along the Natchez Trace (Clinton, MS)
Feb 03, 2015 01:54 |  #12

FOTOZA wrote in post #17407221 (external link)
Hey

just a heads up, this is my first post on this forum.

Im planning on starting a homemade ready meal business and started photographing the dishes that im planning on selling. Im planning on using these photos in my marketing which would mostly be on local community facebook pages and maybe pamphlets. Any critique will be appreciated. The first one im uploading is of a spaghetti napolitana. It tatstes great and now i need my photos to follow suite.

Thanks in advance

Johan

Shot Details:

Canon 6D + 24-70 L (47mm)
ISO 400
1/200
F9

I basically placed it on kitchen counter and used a diffuser infront of the window.
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by FOTOZA in
./showthread.php?p=174​07221&i=i144762690
forum: Food Photography & Visual Recipes

Johan, welcome to the Forum. I may have composed it a little differently, but your composition is just fine. Only thing I would recommend would be to reduce your field of view a little more. You shot this at f9 and most everything in the photo is in focus. If you would use something more open such as 4.0 you could draw a little more attention to the point in the photo you wish people to notice. Personally, I would want to draw the attention to the sauce right under the basil (if basil) and the leaves.

I am not one who feels every photo should have a narrow depth of field, but it would help if you used that principle to make this dish look more interesting. If you want more opinions on this photo you may wish to post it in the Critique Corner Section.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2015
Near Dallas
Post has been edited 11 months ago by itsallart.
Feb 03, 2015 08:56 as a reply to Lupo-Lobo's post |  #13

thank you Lupo-Lobo, yes it was a spectacular meal. I cook from scratch only and every day. Moroccan food is one of my favorites
Best results are really with lamb but I have used pork loin as well. Chicken is OK too but doesn't have as much flavor as the other meat. Enjoy :)

Moroccan Lamb/Pork Tagine with Apricots and Honey (Chicken works too but pork or lamb i best)
2 lb (1kg) boneless lamb shoulder, trimmed of fat (about 1 1/2 pounds or 750 g), I used pork loin
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground ginger
1 1/4 tsp salt
2 TBSP vegetable oil
1 1/2 C diced onions
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1 C chicken broth
8 threads Spanish saffron, crushed
16 fresh cilantro sprigs, tied together with a cotton string
1 C dried, pitted apricots
1/2 C golden raisins or dried cranberries
1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 TBSP honey
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
Cilantro/coriander green sprigs, for garnish

Cut meat into 1 1/2-inch (3cm) cubes and place in a medium-sized bowl. Season the meat with turmeric, ginger and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Heat a frying pan or cast iron pot over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil and half of the seasoned meat. Cook the meat until browned on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the meat from the pan and set aside. Repeat with remaining oil and meat.
Return the seared meat to the pan and add the diced onions. Cook stirring to get the browned bits off the bottom of the pan, for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken broth, saffron, and cilantro bundle and bring the mixture to a boil. If you have a tagine dish, transfer the meat to a preheated tagine, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, covered, for 1 1/2 hours, or until the meat is tender.
Pour 1 cup of boiling water over the apricots and raisins and let sit for 20 minutes. Strain and set the fruit aside.
Using a slotted spoon, remove the meat, place it on a clean plate, and keep warm. Bring the remaining liquid in the pan to a simmer. Add the sliced onions, apricots, raisins, honey, cinnamon, ground pepper, and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Return the liquid to a simmer and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, or until mixture is slightly thickened. Add the cooked lamb back into the sauce and cook to heat through, about 2 minutes. Garnish with fresh cilantro sprigs. Serve with Moroccan Vegetable Couscous and Moroccan Yogurt with Preserved Lemon Dip.

Renata

Lupo-Lobo
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2013
Texas
Feb 03, 2015 11:22 as a reply to itsallart's post |  #14

Excellent ... thanks so much for taking the time to post it up.

Lupo

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2015
Near Dallas
Feb 03, 2015 13:42 as a reply to Lupo-Lobo's post |  #15

you're welcome. I just copied the recipe from my food blog :)

Renata

sponsored links

96,874 views & 740 likes for this thread
Cooked and photographed in your home kitchen ...
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Food Photography & Visual Recipes

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.