Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 29 Jan 2015 (Thursday) 17:26
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Extension tube - 6mm? 8mm? 10mm?

ItsJustEd
Joined Jan 2012
St. Petersburg FL
Jan 29, 2015 17:26 |  #1

Hello all! Ive done a google search and did find this (http://www.4photos.de ...on-EF-Extension-Tube.htmlexternal link). But ofcourse I don't have the equipment he has to do what he did. Looked on ebay and came up empty. Does anybody know of a thin (thinnest possible,I have a KENKO 12mm) extension tube? I saw an M-mount 10mm on ebay but Im pretty sure the M-mount wont work on a 5D of 60D.

What say the masses?

I used to think I was indecisive,but now I'm not too sure.
5DMkI 60D Canon 24-105 Canon 17-55mm Tamron 70-300
More of me http://www.flickr.com/​photos/77024467@N03/external link

sponsored links
ZoneV
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Germany
Jan 30, 2015 14:45 |  #2

I have done Google and Ebay searches as well, and found not a single shorter Canon EF extension tube.
So I disassembled those manual tubes and did some planning - and made the8mm Canon EF extension tube (external link). And later the 6mm thin extension tube you have linked to.

The EF electronics contacs are only a prototype, I do not need those for my manual lenses. I tried it cause some photo tinkering people said such is not possible at all :-P

IMAGE: http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/Ultra-Short-Canon-Extension-Tube-.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/Extension-ring-on-camera-.jpg

I do not know another way, only with for example adapted Nikon or Olympus or M42 lenses exist short extension tubes too.

DIY-Homepage (external link) - Image Gallery (external link) - Gear List

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Wilt.
Jan 30, 2015 15:19 |  #3

I just measured an Olympus OM 50mm lens, and from Infinity to 18" the inherent focus mechanism racks out the optics by 8mm from the film plane. Olympus offered a 7mm extension tube for the OM.

One might say that 10-12mm extension tube simply takes the lens from where its own focus mechanism can handle, so a 6-8mm tube length should fall within the focus range already inherent to the lens' own focus mechanism.

Why do you want such a thin extension tube?

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

ZoneV
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Germany
Jan 31, 2015 04:58 as a reply to Wilt's post |  #4

Those 8mm focus range (image side) are a bit common for 50mm lenses.
When you want to focus closer than those 8mm helicoid allows, you could take for Canon Ef normaly only a 12mm tube, and now you are much closer than with the lens helicoid.
With shorter lenses like a 35mm lens is is even worse.
On a 24mm you have magnification 1:2 as soon as you use the 12mm tube. With a 6mm extension tube you get 1:4 - much closer to the normal magnification the lens has on minimum object distance.
Near the normal minimum object distance the lens is normaly much better than at 1:2 or such.

Longer lenses like the 85mm/1.2L have correction for close up photography - with a thick extension tube and lens focussing on infinity this correction is gone completely.

Olympus and Nikon offered a quite good lens and accesories programm for close up back then. Olympus with the 7mm extension tube, Nikon even with a 6mm tube.
Today people are told to use a macro lens - but there only few focal lengths exists, and the lenses are normaly relative slow. Or close up lenses or few extension tubes as cheap but not ideal way for beginners.

Perspective is a major thing in photography - only in close up / macro most people forget this / could not use this because there is not much choice.

I use long tele lenses for macro as well assuper wideangle macroexternal link - and normal ones too. From f/1.2 (lower at macro setting with tube) to very low f-stop settings.

sploo
premature adulation
2,174 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011
West Yorkshire, UK
Jan 31, 2015 05:46 |  #5

Wilt wrote in post #17407572external link
I just measured an Olympus OM 50mm lens, and from Infinity to 18" the inherent focus mechanism racks out the optics by 8mm from the film plane. Olympus offered a 7mm extension tube for the OM.

One might say that 10-12mm extension tube simply takes the lens from where its own focus mechanism can handle, so a 6-8mm tube length should fall within the focus range already inherent to the lens' own focus mechanism.

Why do you want such a thin extension tube?

A lens will have its own internal extension, so even adding a few mm will allow a shorter minimum focus distance.

With a 14mm lens held just a few mm from the camera's mount it'll focus very close (for some freakishly strange effects). Sadly even the shortest commercial tubes are way too long for this len's focal length (you then cannot focus on something in front of the lens), so I'd need to fabricate a DIY alternative to make it practical to use in the field.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2012
Riverside,California
Apr 21, 2015 17:50 |  #6

Whenever I want to lower the MFD on my M42 lenses I just unscrew the lens a bit from the adapter. Works great.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

ZoneV
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Germany
Apr 22, 2015 06:24 |  #7

maverick75 wrote in post #17526954external link
Whenever I want to lower the MFD on my M42 lenses I just unscrew the lens a bit from the adapter. Works great.

This is one of the advanges of M42 over bajonett mounts. Optimum would be some shims to have the lens parallel and "locked".
For M42 there are short extension tubes too, I think I have a ~5mm thin.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,241 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 15 days ago by TeamSpeed. 4 edits done in total.
Nov 09, 2017 07:42 |  #8

I am bringing this thread back to see if any newer info has arisen to finding a shorter extension tube.

The reason I need one is so that I can stack MKIII teleconverters together, since Canon changed up the design enough that the MKIII 2x doesn't like being stacked with itself or the 1.4x III. A tube in-between should fix this issue, and I want as thin a tube as possible to reduce the "lost infinity focus" effect.

I thinking about trying to make one from a Kenko tube, by shortening the body and putting the mounts back on, without disturbing the ribbon cable, or whatever is there for the electrical connections.

I will try out my 12mm with the 2x on a couple of lenses that don't mount to the TC today, just to see what the impacts are, but I would love an 8mm if there is way to buy one or make one.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Nogo
I could have been worse....
Joined Dec 2013
All Along the Natchez Trace (Clinton, MS)
Post has been edited 15 days ago by Nogo.
Nov 09, 2017 08:44 |  #9

Vello makes a 7mm fully manual. Won't work with most newer lenses but it is available.

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...l_extension_tube_se​t.html (external link)

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,241 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 15 days ago by TeamSpeed. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 09, 2017 09:01 |  #10

However I think the outer shell is 7mm. Once you add the mount and focus confirmation ring, I suspect it is still around 21-22mm? This is how I read the product description anyways.

The Manual Extension Tube Set for Canon EF/EF-S-mount contains three extension tubes of 7mm, 14mm, and 28mm lengths. They pair up with the required camera and lens adapter mounts, which add an additional 15mm to the actual extension tube lengths.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Nogo
I could have been worse....
Joined Dec 2013
All Along the Natchez Trace (Clinton, MS)
Nov 09, 2017 09:12 |  #11

Ok. It is a little confusing. Just found it searching for shorter tubes.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

ZoneV
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Germany
Nov 10, 2017 01:48 |  #12

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18492568 (external link)
However I think the outer shell is 7mm. Once you add the mount and focus confirmation ring, I suspect it is still around 21-22mm? This is how I read the product description anyways.

Exactly!
The 7mm is only the tube, without bajonett front and back. The tube is unusable alone.

sponsored links

5,308 views & 0 likes for this thread
Extension tube - 6mm? 8mm? 10mm?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.