Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings
Thread started 29 Jan 2015 (Thursday) 18:32
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Hello all, looking for some recommendations for lighting. (Real Estate Photo Shoots)

PVTLLC
20 posts
Joined Sep 2014
Jan 29, 2015 18:32 |  #1

I have not been on here in a couple months, just noticed this section.

We are sort of new to the Real Estate Photography world and only want to get better and better at it. Some listing agents are wanting us to do really high end (large, $$) homes and I feel that my lighting needs to be upgraded. All we are using is constant lighting. Inter-fit light bulbs 500 watts each, dimmers and using white umbrellas that the kit came with, we only have two. Works OK for smaller houses but want to get better lighting, flash.

We are looking at the Canon Speedlight 600EX-RT and the ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter. B&H has a kit we are looking at that comes with stands, umbrellas etc.

We are shooting with the Canon 70d with the Sigma 8-16mm lens.

Please let me know what you use and how you like it. I would like to get something very soon and practice with it so when the agents call us we are more than prepared.

Thank you all for your time.

sponsored links
rgs
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2007
Oklahoma City
Jan 29, 2015 19:33 |  #2

I use Exposure Fusion with LR Enfuse. This is not HDR but it does blend bracketed exposures. My routine is a 7 shot, 1 stop bracket that starts with the exposure I want for the windows. Each successive bracket is one stop brighter (via SS) than the last. After importing the entire bracketed series into LR, I decide how many to blend to get the shot I want. I can then tweak the final shot in LR a bit more, if needed. I can also add a little flash to brighten things up a bit.

You can find out more about EF and lots of other good information at the Photography for Real Estate site. http://photographyforr​ealestate.net/external link.

They also have some good e-books for sale among them:

• The Essential Guide to Lighting Interiors by Scott Hargis and
  • Enfuse for Real Estate Photography by Simon Maxwell

Hope this helps. Good luck with it.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

PVTLLC
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined Sep 2014
Jan 29, 2015 19:40 |  #3

rgs wrote in post #17406334external link
I use Exposure Fusion with LR Enfuse. This is not HDR but it does blend bracketed exposures. My routine is a 7 shot, 1 stop bracket that starts with the exposure I want for the windows. Each successive bracket is one stop brighter (via SS) than the last. After importing the entire bracketed series into LR, I decide how many to blend to get the shot I want. I can then tweak the final shot in LR a bit more, if needed. I can also add a little flash to brighten things up a bit.

You can find out more about EF and lots of other good information at the Photography for Real Estate site. http://photographyforr​ealestate.net/external link.

They also have some good e-books for sale among them:

• The Essential Guide to Lighting Interiors by Scott Hargis and
  • Enfuse for Real Estate Photography by Simon Maxwell

Hope this helps. Good luck with it.

Oh yes, that helps A LOT, I appreciate that info. I did not know there was a website just for Real Estate Photography, that to me is a huge help. We are always looking to learn more. We still have a long way to go to get better, but we all start some wheres. I am going to head over there and do some reading. Again, much appreciated on the info. Thanks for your time. :)

PVTLLC
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined Sep 2014
Feb 01, 2015 10:44 |  #4

We purchased the e books and been reading, donated and got the plug in, than find out the 70d does not do the 7 shots :( Only 3.

Thanks again for all the info. We will keep plugging away at it. :)

PVTLLC
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined Sep 2014
Feb 01, 2015 11:00 |  #5

OK, wife just read something else. She read someones post about it only being 3, I said are you positive about that, read some more. So she did, and after January 2014 the newer releases does the 7. Went into the custom menu and boom there it was. Excited about that! We bought this 70D Sept of 2014. So we are all good. Now were going to take some shots at our house and figure out that plug in to do one. We will post a shot once we get it figured out. Hopefully we can before the game tonight!!

Thanks ;)

windpig
Chopped liver
14,554 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008
Just South of Ballard
Feb 01, 2015 11:16 |  #6

PVTLLC wrote in post #17406347external link
Oh yes, that helps A LOT, I appreciate that info. I did not know there was a website just for Real Estate Photography, that to me is a huge help. We are always looking to learn more. We still have a long way to go to get better, but we all start some wheres. I am going to head over there and do some reading. Again, much appreciated on the info. Thanks for your time. :)

Not a problem to get more exposures, auto bracket three shots, then move your shutter speed by 1 stop and take another auto bracket of three.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Feb 01, 2015 13:01 |  #7

Exposure blending is good. For more stylish shots I'd bring the contrast down with flash and get it all in camera.

I'd avoid HDR completely.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Feb 03, 2015 06:23 |  #8

windpig wrote in post #17410103external link
Not a problem to get more exposures, auto bracket three shots, then move your shutter speed by 1 stop and take another auto bracket of three.

i've heard a lot about being able to change the exposure with just your finger and some "wheel" or something on the camera. Sounds interesting!

:p

PVT, You can either do the whole bracket manually or you should be able to set the way the auto exposure takes the pic. For example

-1 , 0 , +1

or

0 , -1, +1

or

+1 , 0 , -1

Once you know how your camera is set you then manually move the exposure 3 stops* and take the auto bracket again. which would look something like this if you chose the first option above (-1 , 0 , +1) and moved the exposure up 3 stops before beginning the second set.

-1 , 0 , +1 / +2 , +3 , +4

with +3 being the base exposure for the second set of automatic brackets. IMO, 6 different exposures should be plenty to get what you need.

* of course the amount you move the exposure for the second set of auto brackets is dependent on the amount of difference in the initial bracket set. ex: 2/3 difference in the initial set would yield a manual exposure movement of 2 stops,

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

rgs
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2007
Oklahoma City
Feb 03, 2015 06:35 |  #9

I want my first bracket to be the exposure for the windows. That is my base exposure and I want it to be right on site - no guesses. Then I want a 7 shot sequence with each shot on SS slower. When I get it into LR, I can decide how many of the 7 shots are needed to open the interior exterior up and use than number of brackets to blend in LR Enfuse. Then tweak a bit in LR.

So the sequence on site is 0, +, ++, +++, ++++, +++++, ++++++. My 50D would only do a 3 stop auto bracket and it was an over/under sequence. Adding Magic Lantern allowed the 50D to auto bracket up to 9 shots and they could all be + (or -) not just +,-. My 7D2 will auto bracket up to 7 shots but still limits the sequence to a +, - pattern so, unless Canon makes a change in a firmware update, which I have mentioned to several reps and tech folks, it's still a manual process. But it's pretty fast even by hand.

Hope this makes sense, it's much easier to do than to explain.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by Left Handed Brisket. 2 edits done in total.
Feb 03, 2015 07:33 as a reply to rgs's post |  #10

rgs, are you moving full stops for each exposure? and/or do you find that you sometimes need the full seven stop range even if you only use 4 shots? or are you using a three stop range but want the latitude of picking whether you use the brightest three or the darkest three?

or can it even be predicted?

I like to light my rooms but have definitely run into issues where a solid knowledge of HDR would have sped up my work.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

rgs
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2007
Oklahoma City
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by rgs.
Feb 03, 2015 08:58 |  #11

1 full stop (by SS) between each shot. My goal is to have the widow exposure correct with the first shot then use as many of the brackets as needed to get the room right. It rarely takes all seven - usually 4 or 5.

Incidentally, I do not consider EF to be HDR. Exposure Fusion is simply automated blending of exposures much like we might do in PS by hand. The big difference is how sophisticated the blending can be with the automated process. But EF has none of the software created data of HDR and it doesn't get the look of HDR.

PVTLLC
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined Sep 2014
Feb 04, 2015 18:22 |  #12

Thank you everyone who has taking the time to help us. This forum is great, tons of great knowledge in here. We truly appreciate it A LOT!

As mentioned, we did find the setting to use up to 7 shots, so no need to do 3 and some more. We start with the windows like rgs stated which I feel worked great for the one we just did.

rgs - I cannot thank you enough for the tips you have giving IE the plug in, that Enfuse is something awesome. We did a house yesterday and used that method and I think it came out pretty darn good (Did not use a filler flash at all to see how it would work). We were doing all the windows our selves with PS, we would take the exposure for the outside, than inside, than go home and do it in photo shop with the lasso tool etc. Boy this Enfuse take a ton of time away from that.

Here is a shot we did as an example. Little bit of LR work after words, used all 7 bracketed shots for this one. I'm sure we could tweak it better with more time, but I just wanted to see the outcome of that plug in, was excited! Very impressed. I feel once we use the filler flash it will be a little more crisper in the image. We are going to be getting 2 speedlights 600EX-RTs and the ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter. We just use constant lighting as of now.

AGAIN, THANKS! And that goes out to everyone who has helped. :)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

PVTLLC
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined Sep 2014
Feb 06, 2015 19:03 |  #13

Another test shot we did with the Enfuse, very happy. Cannot wait for our lighting to come in to improve it more.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

rgs
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2007
Oklahoma City
Feb 06, 2015 19:49 as a reply to PVTLLC's post |  #14

Glad it's working out for you. Nice shots.

PVTLLC
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined Sep 2014
Feb 08, 2015 11:09 |  #15

rgs wrote in post #17419304external link
Glad it's working out for you. Nice shots.

Thank you, only plan to get much better at this. Cannot wait for the lighting to come in so we can make them better. Thanks again for your help.

sponsored links

3,515 views & 3 likes for this thread
Hello all, looking for some recommendations for lighting. (Real Estate Photo Shoots)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.