Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews
Thread started 04 Feb 2015 (Wednesday) 11:18
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, reviewed by I Simonius

TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND I Simonius (showing now: I Simonius)
Overall Rating8
Overall Image Quality7
Value for Money8
Bokehn/a
not rated
Sharpness7
Contrast7
Focusing7
Must Have7
Suitability to Intended Use7.5
Got What I Expected8.5
Ownership Status: "previously owned"

Click here for detailed specs and sample photos.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM

I ­ Simonius
Weather Sealed Photographer
Joined Feb 2005
On a Small Blue Planet with Small Blue People With Small Blue Eyes
Feb 04, 2015 11:18 |  #1

for the money you cannot beat this W/a zoom for image quality, weather-sealing, lightness and responsivness

The only thing that lets it down is the edges which at the extreme corners are mush on Full frame. However the rest of the image , especially the centre is so good that you'll forgive it unless you can afford the new 16-35 f4L (which I did) so if you are ona crop camera then teh extreme edges are nota problem and theres no point spending more, the newer lens is not noticable sharper in the ctntre. In this area this lens is absolutely cracking!

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. - Albert Einstein" - yes, but why?
My Snaps external link My Gear ----external link

DoughnutPhoto
Joined Aug 2014
the Netherlands
Mar 15, 2015 13:39 |  #2

I've noticed that on my crop camera, the edges are far worse than on my full frame. The crop sensor has the benefit of not using the lenses extreme edges, but its pixel density is much higher and the 17-40 just can't handle it until about f/8. At least that's my experience on the 60d.

Canon 5d, 60d, 17-40mm L, 30mm Art, 50mm, 85mm

I ­ Simonius
THREAD ­ STARTER
Weather Sealed Photographer
Joined Feb 2005
On a Small Blue Planet with Small Blue People With Small Blue Eyes
Mar 15, 2015 14:37 |  #3

I was using 5Dmk2. Looked darn good to me. What I would say though is that I have had five copies of this in total over the years, the first three two had shiftend elements and were mush all down one side, third was OK til I wmnt FF then I got a better copy, which I damaged in fall and was replaced by an equally good version
Wht this shows is that (for a while at least ) quality control on this lens was all over the place.

At the end I did have avery good copy indeed, and this just goes to show what this lens is capable of when they get it right

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. - Albert Einstein" - yes, but why?
My Snaps external link My Gear ----external link

1,881 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, reviewed by I Simonius
FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.