Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 14 Feb 2015 (Saturday) 09:57
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Wireless Remote Question

Charistuul
Joined Feb 2015
Feb 14, 2015 09:57 |  #1

I am looking to ad a wireless remote for my Canon Camera (5D Mark III)

I would appreciate advice on this topic.

I see ranges from a

Canon LC-5 ( http://www.bhphotovide​o.com ...eless_Controller_Se​t.htmlexternal link ) at over $400 to a

Vello ( http://www.bhphotovide​o.com ...terBoss_Timer_Remot​e.htmlexternal link ) at about $100

There is also a Canon RC-6 and an 80N3

I am a total novice when it comes to using a wireless remote, I just know that I may find one particularly useful in some situations. I know nothing about why I would want one wireless remote over another and what application/functional​ity differences will justify more money for a different remote.

I will likely grab an RC-6 just to use and see how I like it as the money is nominal but I would like to be informed on the other options out there from people who have used them.

Thanks in advance!

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004
Bethesda, MD USA
Feb 14, 2015 11:02 |  #2

The RC-6 is strictly infrared; that'll limit you to pretty short ranges and from in front of the camera. It'll also be of limited use outdoors in the sun.

I have the Vello (two, in fact; the first and second releases) radio remote you linked to and it's very useful and flexible because of the additional (intervalometer, long-exposure timing, and multi-shot) capabilities it has. Further, it takes a variety of release cables, so you can use it with different camera bodies, even from different manufacturers. That's what I'd suggest, for its versatility. They also, IIRC, have a "simple" radio release that's around half that price if the cost of the first one is too much.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Sparky98
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2005
East Texas
Feb 14, 2015 16:00 |  #3

I have had 3 wireless remotes and they all have worked well. The first 2 were cheapies I found on Ebay, 1 was stolen and 1 I lost. The third unit is a Vello I got from B&H but it is the cheaper unit that doesn't have the intervalometer or other functions. It works well and I would recommend it if you don't need the other functions. I would also recommend that you get the RF version over the IR version. Like Jon stated the IR unit is strictly line of site and must be used in front of the camera. The RF version will operate from behind the camera and has a reported range of up to 600' though I can't vouch for that distance as I have never used mine from a distance of more than about 50'.

Joe
5DIII

msowsun
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2007
Oakville Ont. Canada
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by msowsun. 2 edits done in total.
Feb 14, 2015 19:21 |  #4

I would get a "radio" wireless remote. Here is a link to B&H Photo's selection: http://www.bhphotovide​o.com ...095985265&mnp=0&mxp​=64.75 (external link)

They always come in two parts. One part is the receiver that plugs into the side of the camera where a regular wired remote shutter release would go. (the same place you plug in a wired remote like the 80N3).

You can get them even cheaper on ebay: http://www.ebay.com ...+-rc-6+-infrared&_sacat=0 (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
On a 5D Mk III that connection type is called N3 or "3 pin". The 30D, 40D, 50D, 7D, 5D, etc all use this same connector. Other cameras like the Rebel series use a different connection called a "sub-mini" which looks like a headphone jack.

Most have a "cold foot" so that you can mount the receiver in the hotshoe just for convenience sake. You can also just let it hang by the cord if you want to use a flash in the hotshoe. The other part is the transmitter that you hold in your hand.

They all have great range and can be used from any angle or even in another room.

Mike Sowsun / S110 / SL1 / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 18-135mm STM / EF-S 55-250mm STM
5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS /
EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

DantheCanonMan
104 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Wichita Falls, TX
Mar 21, 2015 19:31 |  #5

If you're looking for cheap, I bought an Opteka RC-4 on Amazon for less than ten bucks 6-7 years ago; works great and never had any problems with it.

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006
Channelview, Tx
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by MT Stringer. 2 edits done in total.
Mar 21, 2015 19:59 |  #6

I have used several versions of wireless remotes. Several years ago, I tried the cheep ebay wireless triggers. They were garbage, with miss fires galore.

I also had a simple wireless remote that plugged into the camera and fired by a hand held transmitter. That worked out to about the length of the basketball court at a high school gym.

Then I moved on to Elinchrome Cyber syncs. They worked pretty good.
Next I tried the remotes from Paul Buff. They work well. They are simple. I used them to trigger strobes mounted on light stands at basketball games. If I recall correctly, they won't trigger a camera remotely.

Finally, I bought Pocket Wizards to trigger a remote camera, so I could shoot with two at baseball and softball games. I had a PW Transceiver mounted on my monopod connected to a hand held push button trigger I had cobbled up. When I pushed the button, it would fire the 7D at 8 frames per second until I let up!

I don't know if that helps or just makes for more confusion.
Mike

Edit: More remote camera set ups.

IMAGE: http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd265/mt_stringer/Sports/Remote04.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://i226.photobucke​t.com ...inger/Sports/Remote​04.jpg] (external link) on photobucket

IMAGE: http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd265/mt_stringer/Sports/Remote01.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://i226.photobucke​t.com ...inger/Sports/Remote​01.jpg] (external link) on photobucket

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

MaxPreps Profileexternal link

My Gear List

crbinson
602 posts
Joined Jul 2012
OKC
Mar 22, 2015 08:15 |  #7

Here is another low cost option for wireless radio remote basic functions. I have one that was used on a 1DIII without issues.

http://www.cowboystudi​o.com ...p/pixel%20rw-221%20n3.htmexternal link

My Flickrexternal link | My Gear List

RDKirk
Cream of the Crop
12,498 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by RDKirk.
Mar 23, 2015 10:45 |  #8

msowsun wrote in post #17432064 (external link)
I would get a "radio" wireless remote. Here is a link to B&H Photo's selection: http://www.bhphotovide​o.com ...095985265&mnp=0&mxp​=64.75 (external link)

They always come in two parts. One part is the receiver that plugs into the side of the camera where a regular wired remote shutter release would go. (the same place you plug in a wired remote like the 80N3).

You can get them even cheaper on ebay: http://www.ebay.com ...+-rc-6+-infrared&_sacat=0 (external link)
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by msowsun in
./showthread.php?p=174​32064&i=i146864425
forum: Canon Accessories
On a 5D Mk III that connection type is called N3 or "3 pin". The 30D, 40D, 50D, 7D, 5D, etc all use this same connector. Other cameras like the Rebel series use a different connection called a "sub-mini" which looks like a headphone jack.

Most have a "cold foot" so that you can mount the receiver in the hotshoe just for convenience sake. You can also just let it hang by the cord if you want to use a flash in the hotshoe. The other part is the transmitter that you hold in your hand.

They all have great range and can be used from any angle or even in another room.

Agree.

Presuming we're talking about remotely releasing the shutter rather than remotely triggering flash units, I have had zero problems with cheap Chinese shutter release remotes. Most of the same units that are rebranded for B&H are available at half or less the price from Amazon and eBay. I've bought several for redundancy, but I've never actually had a problem with any of them.

I've recently bought a Pixel, which has some worthwhile design improvements over previous styles (such as removable/interchangea​ble cords, using AAA batteries rather than buttons and camera batteries, an internal antenna on the transmitter, and a periodic blinking ready light on the receiver).

As I understand the OP, I think the Pixel unit bought on eBay or Amazon would fit the bill.

This is with regard to remote shutter releases, not remote flash triggers--for whatever reason, cheap flash releases do leave much to be desired.

TomCruise06
Joined Jun 2017
Jun 27, 2017 15:32 as a reply to DantheCanonMan's post |  #9

Please PM me. Tyvm

Lyndön
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2008
Knoxville, TN
Jun 29, 2017 03:43 as a reply to TomCruise06's post |  #10

You do realize that the OP of this thread posted this over 2 years ago. I'm sure they've come up with a solution my now. :lol:

Just in case anyone searches and finds this thread. I have the Vello Shutterboss II and its great. Swap a cable and I can use the same release with my EOS cameras as I do with my Olympus mirrorless... brilliant!

Not only does it work well as a wireless remote/intervalometer, it also has some other neat features as well.

Let's say you're out shooting and your receiver battery dies. No problem, just plug it directly into the camera with the receiver's cable and all intervalometer functions still work.

What if the transmitter batteries die too? Plug it in and it still functions as a basic wired release, so you're never "stuck" without a working release with the shutterboss.

Just one last thing, if you can wait, these usually go on sale around the holidays. I picked mine up for half price last year around Black Friday on a B&H daily deal.

GEAR LIST

filmuser
Joined Jul 2016
Post has been edited 3 months ago by filmuser.
Jun 30, 2017 08:30 |  #11

Case air is the to go. Case Air Wireless Tethering System

The Case Air connects and transfers images instantly from your camera to a phone, tablet or computer. Control advanced camera settings including focus points, exposure settings, bracketing, time-lapse, and more. View your images on a larger screen to check critical focus and composition, or use Live View or movie mode for real-time capture to share and collaborate as you create.
https://www.tethertool​s.com ...ireless-tethering-system/ (external link)

SSNTUFF
Joined Jun 2017
Colorado Springs, Co. USA
Jun 30, 2017 09:27 |  #12

Has anyone given consideration to the CamRanger? I have one that I use for my Canons and it works great. It allows me to change almost all of my camera settings from my iPhone or iPad. It will allow you to focus stack, HDR, and timelapse too. The best feature for me is that I can look at an image in real time on my iPad and zoom in for fine focus control. Another benefit for me is to sit in the car while taking pictures of storms. As long as you have the right interface cable, you can use it on almost any camera.

Land locked submariner, making do with what I have.

sponsored links

8,193 views & 2 likes for this thread
Wireless Remote Question
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.