Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > Exhibit Engine > Version 1.0-1.5 discussion
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th of July 2003 (Thu)   #1
Pekka
El General Moderator

Default Exhibit Engine 1.5 beta 1 full installer

Here at last! 85000 lines of code.

http://www.photography-on-the.net/ee...ee_1_5_b_1.zip

THIS IS BETA VERSION. WORKS OK HERE BUT MAY HAVE BUGS. SOME MINOR FEATURES MISSING (online help, small stuff here and there).

Let me know about ANY problems. I'll be on a gig next 8 days but I will have my computer with me and hopefully some time to fix EE bugs.

This beta is mainly for experienced users or simply for those who would like to see new things. This doc is short - I'll write more during week.

Feature list is too long for here, I'll try to write something soon. Basically you have complete ftp upload system with resize, new editors, new functionality and totally new code in many places which means more intelligent code and more speed.

REQUIRED

PHP with ftp installed. Safe mode can be on. GD 1 or 2 or Imagemagick's (Graphicsmagick's) mogrify for resize/sharpen.
EXIF module and IPTC module installed for reading camera data, headers and descriptions from images.

The installation instructions are:

1. use empty database (install will overwrite!)
2. unzip (preserve folder structure) upload all files to server
3. open "/gallery/input/backup/ee_backup_prefs/preferences.php" and edit that to have you database info.
4. launch /gallery/input/backup/index.php - if you get no error messages then all is fine.

5. now, to set up database do a restore of backup 'install.sql' included in ee backup.
6. Now edit gallery/add/connect.php to have you database info (same database and pass you used for ee backup).
7. Now you should be able to open /gallery/index.php open withour errors.
8. if you use UNIX server, using your ftp program or telnet, chmod following folders to 0777:

/export
/temp
/ftp_temp
/input/temp
/input/UPLOAD
/input/UPLOAD/ee_temp_upload

9. Install is done. You have finished install of EE 1.5 beta 1.

To set up EE for your server and system:

First set up and test ftp server(s):

Open ftp servers editor and add one server. Read manual (in editor) for detailed instructions. Basically you set up your username, password, server name and ftp server root folder. Do a test for certain folder (inside ftp root) and if all is ok then there it is, no need to touch this any more.

Add as many ftp servers as you have on your disposal.

There is a special ftp server line for server info that connects to ee gallery root. This needs to be working, too.

Note that the ftp server test has now extra test which takes a couple of minutes after main test - this extra test tests for file trasfer in PHP, as some php version prior 4.3 have problems trasferring small files. You will see how your server behaves.

paths

EE 1.5 will create paths on the fly when needed. The ftp paths are paths from ftp root (from the folder you are in when logging in using ftp) and without trailing slash.

Graphics libraries

GD is bundled with latest PHP's. GD 2 is ok, but does not have sharpening.

ImageMagick is the one you really should use - much better quality than GD. To set up IM go to server info editor and edit and save MOGRIFY path. When EE finds mogrify command you'll see green confirmation text. The path should essentially be the command for launching mogrify in your system. So in windows it can be e.g. C:/imagemagick/bin/mogiry.exe and in UNIX just mogrify or usr/bin/mogrify

before uploading first time

Read the manual in editor- some useful upload setup info there.

Check ftp servers are ok, and that exhibition thumbs and microthumbs folder are correct. Upload should be straightforward.

languages

Finnish language and unfinished Hungarian are there as demo languages. Adding languages is quite easy, just add one in database using language editor and the copy language text folder and input help folder and rename then to new language code.

If you do Klingon language and forget e.g. to copy editor help folder as "kli" you'll get erros like

Warning: Unable to access ../languages/kli/dummy.php in /www/html/xgallery/input/performance.php on line 24

If there are people who want to do translations then I believe it is best that you mutually agree on this forum who does what and if something can be done together. Would be great to have as many languages as possible.

Oh, and explanation:
Primary language is the one visitors will see first time, and the one you get in editor by default.

Public language = visible for public.

I'm thinking of doing Klingon, too

Exhibition comments and gear notes are not translated yet. Some text may be traslated using images (like photo page's buy this link is now in english language). We'll have to see whether to enable this for all translation items (does not work with upper case automation).

exhibition groups

If you don't do grouping, then group index is not shown at all. All exhibitions that are not in any group will be show on exhibition dropdown (can be changed if there are requests for it). Groups can overlap and there is no maximum amount of them.

Better group index choices has to be made, and also group logos or eye catcher images.

Known problems:

- ImageMagick may fail to strip EXIF and IPTC from images, so you'll end up with 15KB thumbnails. This is very annoying and so far total mystery for me, as exactly same commands from server works perfectly. Have tried everything. May be safe mode thing, I have not tried it where safe mode is totally off (only from php's safe mode exec dir) Use GD thumbs meanwhile for smaller thumbs. Let me know if you DO NOT have this problem.

- move photos may fail on some versions of php, due to small file size bug. The workaround is being coded (as done in html export). Failing to move files does not affect database 'move'.

- ftp may fail on special characters of filenames (just a function missing there)

ftp errors may be cryptic (i.e. file missing may tell you user+pass is wrong - after you have succesfully logged in!). These are reported by ftp, so not much to de there.

- for combined exhibitions:_detail list 1 "for sale" link does not work (works for single exhibitions, though).

- detail list html export has problems

Todo:

- style logos etc. Dark 1 is the only style which has them correct, now.
- categories in ITPC
- guess lens, camera and owner in upload.
- delete old files in export
- secure ftp
- replace photo sizes
- zip upload
- exhibition comments and gear notes are not translated yet
- fetchsettings ftp and java mode switches into settings editor
- manuals (in database)
- faqs
- viewerstyles for flash, movies etc.
- some menu header pages are missing
- etc. etc.

Please report any bugs and problem on this thread.

----------------------------
Pekka is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 24th of July 2003 (Thu)   #2
Peter Pan

Default Re: Exhibit Engine 1.5 beta 1 full installer

Everything looks good, except two things for now :

- I can't get multiarea navigation to work, "Next" and "Current only" work ok but no clickable area appears with multiarea.

- ImageMagick is said to be installed in step 3 of Upload to Database though it's not installed on my server.

On a side note I find it scandalous you can add Klingon language and not Elfish language, that's discrimination

Great work, especially on the interface !
Peter Pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of July 2003 (Thu)   #3
mwpmo

Pekka.

I am a old EE user using EE 1.3.

Just download the 1.5 beta 1 and found the following.

1) the correct path in step 3 should be "/gallery/input/backup/ee_backup_prefs/preferences.php"

2) When I finish all 9 steps. I can goto the home page (only the thumbnail of the sample image is missing).
However, when I try to goto the setup page "/gallery/input/index.php"
(it is not stated in your doc but I just follow the old path in the old version),
it just show a BLANK page.

When I use the "view source" command in IE, I just got a line only.
" (!-- language: eng --) "

(I have replace "" with "(!" & "-)" )

Any idea?

MWPMO
mwpmo is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 25th of July 2003 (Fri)   #4
studiocs

The 122-1.3 engine is great!

Hi . I'm old 1.22-1.3 user. The new beta gives default language error when i try to run gallery/index.php. The first part goes fine.

Where 's the sql file. the backup one's a little funny. It errors with table problems when I run it from phpmyadmin. Its being installed on a a clean database.

curtis
studiocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of July 2003 (Fri)   #5
Pekka
El General Moderator

Default Re: Re: Exhibit Engine 1.5 beta 1 full installer

Quote:
Peter Pan wrote:
Everything looks good, except two things for now :

- I can't get multiarea navigation to work, "Next" and "Current only" work ok but no clickable area appears with multiarea.
Ok. What happens when you make

$s_ftp_view = "1";

in fetchsettings.php line 52?

Quote:
- ImageMagick is said to be installed in step 3 of Upload to Database though it's not installed on my server.
What does "serverinfo" say about IM?

Old 25th of July 2003 (Fri)   #6
Pekka
El General Moderator

Quote:
studiocs wrote:

The new beta gives default language error when i try to run gallery/index.php. The first part goes fine.

Where 's the sql file. the backup one's a little funny. It errors with table problems when I run it from phpmyadmin. Its being installed on a a clean database.
That sql file is NOT for PhpMyAdmin, it should be restored only from EE Backup. If database is not set up properly the first thing you'll most likely get is language error, because english language tables are needed as default language.

Old 25th of July 2003 (Fri)   #7
Pekka
El General Moderator

Quote:
mwpmo wrote:

2) When I finish all 9 steps. I can goto the home page (only the thumbnail of the sample image is missing).
However, when I try to goto the setup page "/gallery/input/index.php"
(it is not stated in your doc but I just follow the old path in the old version),
it just show a BLANK page.

When I use the "view source" command in IE, I just got a line only.
" (!-- language: eng --) "

(I have replace "" with "(!" & "-)" )

Any idea?

MWPMO
Can you open e.g. your

/gallery/input/exhibition_editor.php

Input's index.php does database opimizing automatically. Maybe that is slow on your system or you don't have privileges for it. Try removing line

ee_optimize_all_tables ("1");

from /gallery/input/index.php and see what happens.

ee_optimize_all_tables ("0"); can also be found also in some editors.

Other remedy is to make htaccess file there active by renaming it .htaccess - maybe your system is slow and exceeds 30sec time on that table optimizing. That .htaccess should change that time to longer value.

PS. The demo image is not supposed to show any photo, it's just a blank dummy one.

Old 25th of July 2003 (Fri)   #8
Pekka
El General Moderator

Forgot to say for EE newbies: Please rename that input directory to something else (as a security thing).

Old 25th of July 2003 (Fri)   #9
Peter Pan

Default Re: Re: Re: Exhibit Engine 1.5 beta 1 full installer

Quote:
Ok. What happens when you make

$s_ftp_view = "1";

in fetchsettings.php line 52?
If I change that I can't even access the picture, I can only see the microthumb and the thumb but when I click on them the browser (either IE or Mozilla Firebird) seems to be looking for the page without finding it.

Quote:
What does "serverinfo" say about IM?
It says too that ImageMagick is installed :

Quote:
IMAGEMAGICK OR GRAPHICSMAGICK IS INSTALLED ON THIS SERVER.
It doesn't list functions though, as with GD, EXIF and FTP. It correctly states that Imagick Pear is not installed.
Old 25th of July 2003 (Fri)   #10
Merecraft

Hi Pekka!

I've been using version 1.3 for a while and have been eagerly awaiting version 1.5, which I will pay for as soon as the final version is out.

Like MWPMO I am getting a blank page when viewing any files in the input directory (eg, input/index.php or input/exhibiton_editor.php). View Source shows only "".

I've tried everything you suggested in the above post (activating the htaccess file and removing the optimising line) but to no avail.

Do you have any other ideas? Presumably the problem lies in one of the included files at the start of index.php as the html output is not even started - there is no page title generated.

On the other matter, can I just rename the input directory to whatever I like without spoling the path integrity if it is called from other files?

Thanks

PS> After a little digging I found out that commenting out lines 128 and 130 in language.php has an effect. I did this because sometimes outputting to the page using print can mess up your header info when you try to output code again. After doing this the source code for the generated page reads "

"
Thats all though, still nothing else, and nothing inside the tags.
Merecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of July 2003 (Fri)   #11
Peter Pan

I found another bug in the Upload to Database page, when you use Mozilla Firebird, changing the number of photos you want to upload doesn't change the number of input fields, as opposed to IE. I think that's important because Firebird is going to replace the curent Mozilla browser in the next Mozilla release.
Old 25th of July 2003 (Fri)   #12
Merecraft

Ok, the problem I and MWPMO have been having with a blank page showing up seems to be something to do with tests.php

If I comment out the following lines in input/tests.php it seems to work fine:
14 $testgd = @imagecreatetruecolor (10,10) ;
19 @imagedestroy($testgd) ;

Does commenting out these lines have a bad effect? I know my server uses Imagemagick and does not have the GD extensions installed.
Merecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of July 2003 (Fri)   #13
Pekka
El General Moderator

Quote:
Merecraft wrote:
Ok, the problem I and MWPMO have been having with a blank page showing up seems to be something to do with tests.php

If I comment out the following lines in input/tests.php it seems to work fine:
14 $testgd = @imagecreatetruecolor (10,10) ;
19 @imagedestroy($testgd) ;

Does commenting out these lines have a bad effect? I know my server uses Imagemagick and does not have the GD extensions installed.
Sorry for delay in reply, I just drove 7 hours and now I have PC set up again.

Yes, I suspected (while driving) the halt was due graphics engine tests. Sorry about that. The library test results are needed in EE generally, but not in every page. Best solution for now is this:

if you get tests.php hangup

replace whole tests.php with

$gd1_installed = "0";
$gd2_installed = "0";
$mogrify_installed = "0";

// Check if FTP module is installed and working
$ftp_installed = "0";
if (function_exists("ftp_put")) $ftp_installed = "1";

// Check if EXIF module is installed and working
$exif_installed = "0";
if (function_exists("exif_read_data")) $exif_installed = "1";

// check if Imagick module is installed and working
$imagick_installed = "0";
if (function_exists("imagick_readimage")) $imagick_installed = "1";

(i.e. there is nothin else than above lines in tests.php) where you set each option you know you have installed as 1, e.g.

$gd1_installed = "0";
$gd2_installed = "0";
$mogrify_installed = "1";

Let me know if this helps.

Old 25th of July 2003 (Fri)   #14
Pekka
El General Moderator

Quote:
Peter Pan wrote:
I found another bug in the Upload to Database page, when you use Mozilla Firebird, changing the number of photos you want to upload doesn't change the number of input fields, as opposed to IE. I think that's important because Firebird is going to replace the curent Mozilla browser in the next Mozilla release.
Thanks! Will check it soon. What is the exact browser name and version you used?

Most html and browser compability is NOT checked in this beta's editors - but biggest modern versions must work in the end of course.

Old 25th of July 2003 (Fri)   #15
Peter Pan

I'm using Mozilla Firebird 0.6 ( http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/ ).

Do you have any idea for the multiarea bug ?

From time to time the Upload to Database hangs up after Step 4 (when you click on UPLOAD) while creating thumbs, and I have to manually (FTP) delete the thumbs and microthumbs of the photos I want to add before cliking UPLOAD again. If not it doesn't work.