Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 25 Feb 2015 (Wednesday) 02:13
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Elinchrom Rotalux

futureal33
148 posts
Joined Mar 2010
UK, Manchester
Feb 25, 2015 02:13 |  #1

Hello,

I am looking to buy an Elinchrom Rotalux for use at weddings.

I currently use a 66cm Portalite, which I love to bits, but leaving it assembled takes up loads of space, and assembling it each time I want to use it is a pain aswell!
I think a Rotalux would suit my needs.

I just wondered if anyone could help me with a few questions I have:

• Can you leave the inner diffuser in the rotalux all the time, even when the softbox is down? (rods not clicked into holding pos)
  • Would you recommend the 70cm square softbox or the 70cm deep octobox for wedding use? (what are the advantages/disadvantag​es to both?!)

Thanks for any help :)

Websiteexternal link
Facebookexternal link

sponsored links
RedCatPhoto
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2013
SUI
Feb 25, 2015 02:51 |  #2

I don't think you can fold a rotalux softbox with the inner diffuser on, you won't manage to access the rods properly.
A square softbox is quicker to set up, since there only 4 rods to mount, compared to 8 to a deep octa. The deep octa will give you a more pleasing catchlight and a more focused softlight.

JM - facebookexternal link - websiteexternal link - gear list

windpig
Chopped liver
14,617 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008
Just South of Ballard
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by windpig. 2 edits done in total.
Feb 25, 2015 06:08 |  #3

RedCatPhoto wrote in post #17448750external link
I don't think you can fold a rotalux softbox with the inner diffuser on, you won't manage to access the rods properly.
The deep octa will give you a more pleasing catchlight and a more focused softlight.

This.^^^

I would suggest the Fotodiox EzPro octabox. It's deep, so you can use it with inner diffuser only to get that focused light. It's umbrella style for very easy deployment, it has a grid option. You can leave both inner and outter diffusers on when collapsed. I have both Elinchrom DOs and Fotodiox. Only advantage to the Elinchrom is less weight, but you give up durability and deployment difficulty to get the light weight, along with paying more money.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

abbadon31
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
SOCAL
Feb 25, 2015 10:36 |  #4

I would second the Fotodiox boxes

I AM SHOM

simonbarker
138 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Feb 26, 2015 09:30 |  #5

futureal33 wrote in post #17448717external link
Can you leave the inner diffuser in the rotalux all the time, even when the softbox is down? (rods not clicked into holding pos)

Yes you can but you'll want to un-clip one or two corners to make the rods easily reached, there's enough of a gap to get your hand in-between the reflective cloth and the diffuser but it'd probably be a bit awkward.

futureal33 wrote in post #17448717external link
  • Would you recommend the 70cm square softbox or the 70cm deep octobox for wedding use? (what are the advantages/disadvantag​es to both?!)
  • Octa, whether you go for a Rotalux or umbrella/easy up design you'll be glad to avoid needing to insert/remove 8 rods every time.

nathancarter
    Cream of the Crop
    Joined Dec 2010
    Post has been edited over 2 years ago by nathancarter.
    Feb 26, 2015 13:22 |  #6

abbadon31 wrote in post #17449172external link
    I would second the Fotodiox boxes

I have one of their Elinchrom-mount strip boxes and am happy with it.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
    http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

futureal33
    THREAD ­ STARTER
    148 posts
    Joined Mar 2010
    UK, Manchester
    Post has been edited over 2 years ago by futureal33.
    Mar 06, 2015 03:44 |  #7

Just kind of thinking out loud here:

The main (only?) difference between the Portalite and the Rotalux is the spring loaded speedring?

Could I transform my portalite into a rotalux by just adding the rotalux speedring?

Ie... could I make my portalite spring up into shape, and then fold down when not in use?

Websiteexternal link
    Facebookexternal link

abbadon31
    Goldmember
    Joined Jul 2009
    SOCAL
    Mar 06, 2015 04:47 |  #8

You could but the ring is not cheap

I AM SHOM

futureal33
    THREAD ­ STARTER
    148 posts
    Joined Mar 2010
    UK, Manchester
    Mar 06, 2015 04:53 as a reply to abbadon31's post |  #9

£25 from my local store.... but having spoken to them, they dont think it would work (although they would say that...) really tempted to find out!

Websiteexternal link
    Facebookexternal link

simonbarker
    138 posts
    Joined Mar 2009
    Mar 06, 2015 06:26 |  #10

futureal33 wrote in post #17462924external link
    Just kind of thinking out loud here:

The main (only?) difference between the Portalite and the Rotalux is the spring loaded speedring?

Could I transform my portalite into a rotalux by just adding the rotalux speedring?

Ie... could I make my portalite spring up into shape, and then fold down when not in use?

The Rotalux system is the speedring but the downside of the Portalite softboxes is they don't have an internal diffuser and I think their largest size is 66cm so is it really worth taking the time, trouble and expense to change the speedring?

sipowicz
    Joined Jan 2013
    Finland
    Dec 21, 2017 20:19 |  #11

My deep octa was shipped with a different speedring than I thought and I will have to order another one. Will it be possible to use it with a normal non-spring loaded speedring? Meaning that the spacing is probably the same, but I would just not be able to fold it down?

dpe
    177 posts
    Joined Jan 2017
    Wareham
    Dec 22, 2017 01:37 |  #12

This does exactly what you want http://www.smdv-usa.com/alpha-speedbox.html (external link) - bought mine from Germany

Mike

fotopaul
    427 posts
    Joined Jul 2015
    Stockholm/Sweden
    Dec 22, 2017 02:03 |  #13

sipowicz wrote in post #18523717 (external link)
    My deep octa was shipped with a different speedring than I thought and I will have to order another one. Will it be possible to use it with a normal non-spring loaded speedring? Meaning that the spacing is probably the same, but I would just not be able to fold it down?

Not likely, rather wait until you get the correct one. The new retail Rotalux is not delivered with a speedring at all, you have the purchase the one you need separately. Of course, you could have gotten an "old" retail box which does contain the speedring, but it should then contain the Elinchrom speedring.

Which speedring did you get ?

Instagram (external link)
    Blog (external link)

Angmo
    looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
    Joined Dec 2015
    AZ-USA
    Dec 22, 2017 12:20 |  #14

The rise of the zombie post!

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms

sipowicz
    Joined Jan 2013
    Finland
    Dec 22, 2017 13:28 |  #15

fotopaul wrote in post #18523855 (external link)
    Not likely, rather wait until you get the correct one. The new retail Rotalux is not delivered with a speedring at all, you have the purchase the one you need separately. Of course, you could have gotten an "old" retail box which does contain the speedring, but it should then contain the Elinchrom speedring.

Which speedring did you get ?

I got the Elinchrom one. I assume that this one was old stock then. I honestly thought that the insert could be changed like on my other speedrings. I found an old tutorial on how to take it apart and change the insert, but I might ruin it if I start drilling holes on it. The softbox itself was a good deal and B&H sells the speedrings for $55, so I suppose I'll just take the hit.

sponsored links

3,636 views & 11 likes for this thread
    Elinchrom Rotalux
    FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
    Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.