Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 25 Feb 2015 (Wednesday) 02:13
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Elinchrom Rotalux

simonbarker
138 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Dec 22, 2017 19:54 |  #16

sipowicz wrote in post #18524112 (external link)
I got the Elinchrom one. I assume that this one was old stock then. I honestly thought that the insert could be changed like on my other speedrings. I found an old tutorial on how to take it apart and change the insert, but I might ruin it if I start drilling holes on it. The softbox itself was a good deal and B&H sells the speedrings for $55, so I suppose I'll just take the hit.

If you're not going to use it just sell it, that'll cover most of the cost of a new one and you won't have to spend the time and effort bodging a replacement.

sponsored links
fotopaul
427 posts
Joined Jul 2015
Stockholm/Sweden
Dec 24, 2017 05:28 |  #17

sipowicz wrote in post #18524112 (external link)
I got the Elinchrom one. I assume that this one was old stock then. I honestly thought that the insert could be changed like on my other speedrings. I found an old tutorial on how to take it apart and change the insert, but I might ruin it if I start drilling holes on it. The softbox itself was a good deal and B&H sells the speedrings for $55, so I suppose I'll just take the hit.

What other speedrings ?

Which mount do you want to adapt the deep octa to ?

Either way, i highly recommend you getting the original Elinchrom speedring to get the best fit.

Instagram (external link)
Blog (external link)

RandallB
Joined Mar 2013
Montreal
Dec 24, 2017 10:23 |  #18

I have an unused speedring (spring loaded one) from my large rotalux octa. I had to order the broncolor mount ring separately. It is gathering dust if you need one.

6D w/Vello grip, 650 w/Canon grip, 85 1.8, 16-35L, 40mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8 L Macro Broncolor Siros 400S
BOWIE RIP!

sipowicz
Joined Jan 2013
Finland
Dec 24, 2017 15:37 |  #19

fotopaul wrote in post #18525229 (external link)
What other speedrings ?Which mount do you want to adapt the deep octa to ? Either way, i highly recommend you getting the original Elinchrom speedring to get the best fit.

I am mostly using lights with Bowens mount. I have speedrings from a few other brands and the inserts can usually be changed so I did not check the Elinchrom one that closely. Already ordered the correct speedring and I will sell the original.

This is the modification I would have needed: http://blog.arharvey.c​om ...to-bowens-conversion.html (external link)

sipowicz
Joined Jan 2013
Finland
Jan 01, 2018 03:08 |  #20

Is there a good way to use the deflector plate with non-Elinchrom strobes? It would make sense if the mount was built in the speedring.

nixland
459 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Jan 01, 2018 05:20 |  #21

sipowicz wrote in post #18530627 (external link)
Is there a good way to use the deflector plate with non-Elinchrom strobes? It would make sense if the mount was built in the speedring.

I use bowens mount on rotalux too.
My quick, lazy and 'awkward-look' methods I use are ....
:-D

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

fotopaul
427 posts
Joined Jul 2015
Stockholm/Sweden
Jan 02, 2018 00:38 |  #22

sipowicz wrote in post #18530627 (external link)

No for Elinchrom it makes little sense as they have the mounting in the center of all their strobes.

For non Elinchrom strobes users you have to resort to DIY am afraid.

Instagram (external link)
Blog (external link)

Angmo
looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
Joined Dec 2015
AZ-USA
Post has been last edited 17 days ago by Angmo. 4 edits done in total.
Jan 02, 2018 09:40 |  #23

On the other hand, I've used the Eli deflector plate on my Eli Strobe with Non Eli modifiers for a slightly different look without diffusers. Depending on the modifier - a great improvement. Saving dosh for the Eli direct 190 for spring.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms

F2Bthere
775 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Jan 03, 2018 00:44 |  #24

The Deep Octa is my modifier of choice. Almost all the images here were shot with one:

https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

I leave the inner diffuser in place but typically remove one of the snaps to facilitate opening and closing.

They are very versatile, light weight, efficient and produce great light.

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

sponsored links

3,675 views & 11 likes for this thread
Elinchrom Rotalux
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.