Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Pets Talk
Thread started 28 Feb 2015 (Saturday) 10:11
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Dog Park photos -- Should I bring my speedlight?

ChillOne
221 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Feb 28, 2015 10:11 |  #1

Hey guys ... so, I'm meeting a friend of mine next week to take some casual, late afternoon (and sunset time) photos of her Siberian Husky. It is expected to be a milder day, with no snow on the ground. In any case, I want to take the best images I can, without dragging a ton of gear with me -- it's not meant to be ultra professional. So, my thought is to just take my camera body and 85/1.8 with me -- bump up the ISO as necessary, and leave it at that. Most of my shots would be closer, portrait style images anyway -- focusing on the ice blue eyes of the Siberian Husky. But, there is a side of me that says to bring along a speedlight just in case there is a nice sunset and I need some fill. What do you all think?

sirquack
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Mar 03, 2015 14:03 |  #2

A speed light adds very light weight to a kit and as you said, you never really know when you might need it. If you were running a full kit and had no room to bring one it is easy to leave it home, but I would think there are more reasons to bring it than not. As the old saying goes, "it is better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!"

Name is Ron.
Camera Bodies - T3i/(6D/7D2)-Gripped : Light - Yongnuo 565 EX/Mettle 600 Strobe
Lenses - Canon 17-40 F4/24-70 F2.8/85 F1.8/Canon 70-200 F4/Sigma 30 DC/Tamron 150-600
Flickr (external link)
Edit photos as needed

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,099 posts
Joined May 2007
Huntington Beach California
May 24, 2015 11:31 as a reply to sirquack's post |  #3

Shooting dogs is much different than shooting people because they don't have the range of facial expression if at all. "Personality" in a dog portrait can be brought out in many forms: getting its ears up, or its head cocked perhaps. It is crucial that you get "life" into the eyes to compensate for minimal facial expression and one way to do that is with your flash creating catchlights. I'd bring it for sure.

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

2,259 views & 0 likes for this thread
Dog Park photos -- Should I bring my speedlight?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Pets Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.