Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews
Thread started 02 Mar 2015 (Monday) 07:57
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon EOS 70D, reviewed by BlakeC

TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND BlakeC (showing now: BlakeC)
Overall Rating9.5
Overall Image Quality9.5
Value for Money9
Must Have8.5
Suitability to Intended Use9.5
Got What I Expected10
AF Performance9.5
Handling and Ergonomics9
User-interface9.5
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for detailed specs and sample photos.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Canon EOS 70D

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
Joined Jul 2014
West Michigan, USA
Mar 02, 2015 07:57 |  #1

I bought the 70D new. After research and reading about the possible AF issues, I wanted to make sure I had a good unused copy with a warranty. I started my search because I wanted a good crop-sensor camera for lowlight with a fast AF. The FIRST day I used it was at a wedding. I got there early to do some tests and ended up using it the entire night! It was focusing VERY fast and VERY accurate in extremely low light even when not assisted by the AF assist beam on my flash! I also did not need to do any AFMA with my Sigma 17-50 f2.8.

I love the interface and the AF modes. The rotating rear screen does come in very handy for high/low angle shots; especially helpful when you have been shooting for several hours and want to save your back! lol

I have small hands and it fits well in them. This is probably the largest camera I would be comfortable using for an extended period of time.

The wifi function is pretty handy with the smart phone app. It does have some lag though. It's nice for self and self-family portraits as a wireless remote. It's also nice to have instant access to the photos you just took so you can upload them to social media!

Overall, VERY happy with this purchase. Definitely NO AF issues here!

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM

sponsored links
jlr347
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined May 2015
May 18, 2015 20:09 |  #2

Love mine as well. I've had zero issues issues with it including focusing. Great camera for the price. It's very sharp and I love the smaller size.

Hermelin
Goldmember
1,092 posts
Joined Nov 2013
Sweden
May 20, 2015 07:54 |  #3

The only negative I have to say about this camera is that sensor has basically not improved at all since the 4 year older 7D and 3 year old 60D. I'm still pretty satisfied with the IQ though. No problem getting relatively clean shots upto ISO 3200, and I had several usable shots @ higher ISO's ofcourse.

Fujifilm X-T2 | Fujinon 35 f/2 WR | Fujinon 90 f/2 WR | Fujinon 18-55 f/2.8-4
https://500px.com/fili​phermelin (external link)

RubberBiscuitz
30 posts
Joined Jul 2010
May 20, 2015 13:09 |  #4

BlakeC wrote in post #17456567external link
I love the interface and the AF modes. The rotating rear screen does come in very handy for high/low angle shots; especially helpful when you have been shooting for several hours and want to save your back! lol

I agree with this. I thought I was going to hate the flip out screen, but came in handy when shooting my puppy from ground level.

70D Gripped | Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC | Canon 55-250 IS | Nifty50 | Rokinon 8mm Fisheye | Canon 430EX II

Azathoth
" ...whose name no lips dare speak aloud"
Joined Jul 2012
Funchal
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Azathoth.
May 26, 2015 04:59 |  #5

Hermelin wrote in post #17563926external link
The only negative I have to say about this camera is that sensor has basically not improved at all since the 4 year older 7D and 3 year old 60D. I'm still pretty satisfied with the IQ though. No problem getting relatively clean shots upto ISO 3200, and I had several usable shots @ higher ISO's ofcourse.

Have you tried the multi-exposure noise reduction feature? I've tried it with ISO25600 and was blown away, it gets pretty clean. Pity that is jpeg only and can't use it for sports. But for holiday snapshots of landscape/cityscape photos at low light without a tripod is pretty amazing.

500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

Hermelin
Goldmember
1,092 posts
Joined Nov 2013
Sweden
May 26, 2015 05:33 |  #6

Azathoth wrote in post #17571533external link
Have you tried the multi-exposure noise reduction feature? I've tried it with ISO25600 and was blown away, it gets pretty clean. Pity that is jpeg only and can't use it for sports. But for holiday snapshots of landscape/cityscape photos at low light without a tripod is pretty amazing.

I only shot in RAW. But I'm not unhappy with the ISO performance. Most of the time it's good enough for me. Just a bit dissapointing that they didn't go further in 4 years.

Fujifilm X-T2 | Fujinon 35 f/2 WR | Fujinon 90 f/2 WR | Fujinon 18-55 f/2.8-4
https://500px.com/fili​phermelin (external link)

dm1215al
Joined Nov 2016
Riverview, FL USA
Dec 04, 2016 13:07 |  #7

I have had mine for 1 1/2 years, great camera..

sponsored links

5,126 views & 2 likes for this thread
Canon EOS 70D, reviewed by BlakeC
FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.