Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 03 Mar 2015 (Tuesday) 11:20
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Any advice on buying a used 1DMKIV

Perfectly ­ Frank
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Perfectly Frank.
Mar 03, 2015 11:20 |  #1

Looking to buy another 1DMKIV. Of course there is ebay, but BHP has a few in their used department.

But BHP doesn't show actual photos of the camera (only a stock image) and they don't provide a shutter count.
And the number rating for the cameras only describe the wear on the outside of the body. They do give a 90
day warranty.

I've checked Canon's refurbished site, but I have not seen a 1D4 there for a couple of years.

Any other places I should check besides ebay?

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

sponsored links
huntersdad
Goldmember
4,431 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Mar 03, 2015 11:46 |  #2

You could check here. There's also several on Fred Miranda.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
5D4 / 35 F2 / 50L / 85 1.8

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2014
Mar 03, 2015 19:14 |  #3
banned

I'm pretty sure Canon doesn't sell refurbs of DCd models.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

JennB
GoldLurker
Joined Dec 2005
Washington
Mar 05, 2015 15:29 |  #4

Try KEH! I have purchased a few bodies and lenses from there. Great customer service and warranty.

~ Jenn ~
"Raise the bar to a level only you can jump!"
{Gear List & Market Feedback}

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Mar 05, 2015 15:38 |  #5

JennB wrote in post #17462170external link
Try KEH! I have purchased a few bodies and lenses from there. Great customer service and warranty.

I tried KEH. I asked for the shutter count of their 1D4, and they said no shutter count was available.

Crossed KEH off my list.

Dave3222
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2013
Mar 05, 2015 16:56 |  #6

I've bought from KEH also. They have a 14 day no questions return so you could check the shutter count yourself and return if not happy. KEH also gives you 6 months warranty which I used on two cameras.

jay125
Monkey Shoulder
Joined Dec 2010
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by jay125.
Mar 05, 2015 18:00 |  #7

Another vote for KEH. I've purchased lenses from them, with the comfort of knowing they have a great return policy and great staff. I was looking for my 1D IV, and was about to click the button on KEH when I found one local for a slightly better price. I still considered KEH just for the protection if something was wrong with it. I was lucky and the one I bought locally turned out to be a great one. I still shop KEH when looking for glass or bodies.

gear
feedback

500px.com (external link)

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Mar 06, 2015 12:13 |  #8

Dave3222 wrote in post #17462287external link
I've bought from KEH also. They have a 14 day no questions return so you could check the shutter count yourself and return if not happy. KEH also gives you 6 months warranty which I used on two cameras.

Why should I have to go through the hassle. Just tell me the shutter count up front. C'mon, it's not hard to do.

Dave3222
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2013
Mar 06, 2015 12:39 as a reply to Perfectly Frank's post |  #9

Then you've narrowed your purchase to a private seller with no warranty but a shutter count.

jay125
Monkey Shoulder
Joined Dec 2010
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by jay125.
Mar 06, 2015 13:07 |  #10

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #17463424external link
Why should I have to go through the hassle. Just tell me the shutter count up front. C'mon, it's not hard to do.

Actually, that is a very good question. Canon will give up the shutter count when something is sent in for service. Not sure why other stores don't. Perhaps it's because they have a few and aren't sure which one will be sent until the purchase is made.

On the other hand, while shutters are rated for 100, 150 or 300k, they can fail at anytime. Even on new bodies. When I bought mine it had 96,000 on the shutter, probably just over 100k now. According to Canon, it should have another 200k left, but it could fail at 299,999 or 300,001. I put more importance on the overall body condition. I have used some beat up bodies which performed well and produced great images.

I still like the idea of the warranty over taking a chance on a private sale, especially when dropping some serious cash. Either way it's up to you, you have to be comfortable with it.

gear
feedback

500px.com (external link)

Qlayer2
OOOHHH! Pretty Moth!
Joined Dec 2013
Detroit, MI
Mar 06, 2015 13:16 |  #11

Because large volume used dealers like KEH, adorama, B&H etc. probably have more than one of the item you are looking at, in the same condition. They aren't going to spend their time photographing and listing shutter count and minor imperfections on each item. Instead they set price points based on the grade of equipment, and update their stock tracker to remove the listing when the inventory count goes to zero.

You may only see listings for 2 items at a different grade, but they may have 100 of each of those items in that grade sitting in their warehouse- no way for them to know which one is going to you.

I've bought used cameras/lenses from Adorama, KEH, and B&H without any issues. Their grading on all of the items I've received seems either fair, or they graded it worse than I would have. Never had to send anything back yet, but the warranty is nice to have if you need it.

Support this site - donate here

HelenOster
That's me!
4,290 posts
Joined Jul 2008
New York
Mar 09, 2015 12:40 |  #12

At Adorama we currently have maybe 28,000 used pieces in the warehouse. There will inevitably be some models where we hold a dozen or more, in varying levels of condition and with a variety of shutter counts.
The majority of our stock is purchased without customers requesting a shutter count - and therefore to provide this for every unit would add to the overall costs. In addition, we do not have access to the software required for all models we might have in stock - then you would need to go directly to the manufacturer, following your purchase.

Stock photos are provided by the manufacturers and uploaded as a series of codes - not as actual pictures. However, if you email me directly: Helen@adorama.com, in most cases I can arrange for a set of pictures of the particular unit that interests you to be emailed directly.

I hope this helps, but please don't hesitate to contact me directly if there is anything else you think I may be able to assist you with.

Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
Helen@adorama.com
http://twitter.com/Hel​enOsterexternal link
http://www.flickr.com/​people/22264746@N07/external link

sponsored links

2,051 views & 1 like for this thread
Any advice on buying a used 1DMKIV
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.