Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 08 Mar 2015 (Sunday) 23:55
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Yongnuo YNE3-RX What took so long?

agv8or
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2006
Midwest
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by agv8or.
Mar 08, 2015 23:55 |  #1

First off I am not bashing Yongnuo, in fact I applaud Yongnuo and all they have done in bringing the Canon Wireless RT system to the masses, at a reasonable price and for correcting many of the omissions that Canon over-looked in developing this innovative flash system. It has been nearly 3 years since Canon introduced the 600EX-RT and the Wireless RT system and I would have thought by now, in fact I would have put money on it, that someone could have developed a receiver to work with the Wireless RT system sooner than this. I guess I was wrong and a good thing I did not bet that money but seriously, what took so long? Why didn't Canon step up and support their products and their faithful customers? Canons answer was to include the ability of the 600EX-RT to operate as a Master or Slave in the Wireless Optical system...What? That is backwards, backwards compatibility! Who wants to use a $600 RT compatible Speedlite in the Wireless Optical world? My hat is off to Yongnuo for developing this simple and ingenious little device!

Elvis did a great write up on these over at Flash Havoc last month ( http://flashhavoc.com ...ne3-rx-receiver-released/external link ) so I do not have much to add to that other than to say that I picked up a couple and have tested them with a 580EX II, 320EX and Mitros+ flashes and they have worked just fine. A very simple device that addresses one of the first questions that a lot of people had about the Canon Wireless RT system and backwards compatibility with older EX Speedlites and the ability to use studio and non Canon shoe flashes with the Wireless RT system. If you want the redundancy of a radio wireless system to use with your older EX Speedlites then pick up a Yongnuo YN-E3-RT transmitter and a YNE3-RX receiver for each of your EX Speedlites and other non Canon flashes.

Rand

Gear

sponsored links
Trailboy
539 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Mar 09, 2015 06:31 |  #2

I've read a few initial reports from people who have received the rx, and all are saying that they work perfectly.

Removes one of the main barriers to using Canon RT for me.

Have you tried using the PC socket for firing studio lights and how well they integrate with canon rt ttl system? Do they offer YNs SuperSync?

agv8or
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2006
Midwest
Mar 09, 2015 10:13 |  #3

Trailboy wrote in post #17467008external link
Have you tried using the PC socket for firing studio lights and how well they integrate with canon rt ttl system? Do they offer YNs SuperSync?

I will check the PC port for triggering studio strobes hopefully in the next few days. The manual states that flashes in both the hotshoe and connected to the sync port will be triggered (could open up some creative possibilities for someone). I did not see in the manual but, I am interested to see if when using the <Gr> mode if turning OFF a group will also disable the triggering of the sync port for a receiver set to that group. For strobes such as the Cheetah lights and PCB's, that have flash power control from their own transmitter, it would be a handy feature to at least be able to turn a group ON or OFF.

The Yongnuo Supersync and my understanding of it, is a YN622-tx feature and these are not compatible with the YN622's. You have HSS and it works but having the ability to adjust the triggering timing of a flash connected to the sync port is not a feature of the YN-E3-RT, YN600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT, or the 600EX-RT which are the only transmitters compatible with this receiver.

Rand

Gear

inkista
499 posts
Joined Oct 2007
San Diego, CA, USA
Mar 11, 2015 23:50 |  #4

Just out of curiosity, with the 580EXII, are you only getting all the functionality you can get with the Canon optical system? (eTTL, HSS, groups A-C, M manual control, etc.) Or are you getting added functionality of the RT units, in terms of being able to set the remote flash to Group D/E, use Gr mode, ID codes, etc.? Or are you getting YN-added capability of the 622 triggers (e.g., 2nd curtain sync)? Most the descriptions haven't been particularly detailed in what you do and don't get with non-RT flashes, or with non-menu-commandable flashes like a 580EX/430EX or a pre-2012 Canon body.

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

agv8or
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2006
Midwest
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by agv8or. 6 edits done in total.
Mar 12, 2015 02:01 |  #5

inkista wrote in post #17471234external link
Just out of curiosity, with the 580EXII, are you only getting all the functionality you can get with the Canon optical system? (eTTL, HSS, groups A-C, M manual control, etc.) Or are you getting added functionality of the RT units, in terms of being able to set the remote flash to Group D/E, use Gr mode, ID codes, etc.? Or are you getting YN-added capability of the 622 triggers (e.g., 2nd curtain sync)? Most the descriptions haven't been particularly detailed in what you do and don't get with non-RT flashes, or with non-menu-commandable flashes like a 580EX/430EX or a pre-2012 Canon body.

First there is 3 buttons (set, + and -). Every time you press the set button, you toggle through the different settings: channel, group, 1st digit ID, 2nd digit ID, 3rd digit ID and 4th digit ID. You use the +/- buttons to change the settings. When using the 580EXII (I am assuming the same for all the EX models mentioned in the Flash Havoc write up, linked in the first post but, I only have the 580EX II, 320EX and 270EX II for testing) you can use all Wireless RT Modes and they work just as they do with the 600EX except for the <Gr> Mode where only the ETTL and Manual Modes work...even though the 580EX II has "External" metering capability it will not work in the <Gr> Mode...when Ext. A Mode is set it defaults to Manual Mode at 1/128 power when the flash fires. HSS works in all Wireless Modes. Wireless Rear Curtain sync, in Manual Mode, works when using the YN-E3-RT as does the Legacy feature. Summary: You have all the functionality of the Wireless RT system (not the Optical system) except for the use of the Ext. A Mode in the Wireless <Gr> Mode.

Rand

Gear

iituner
326 posts
Joined May 2012
RUSSIA
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by iituner. 3 edits done in total.
Mar 12, 2015 05:31 as a reply to agv8or's post |  #6

My receiver is still on the way.

Thanks for the confirmation!
All true, as I expected.

There was only one question :)
How about flash ready alert?

WWW.YN622.RU (external link) CANON EOS 70D | EF 50mm F/1.4 USM | EF 24-105mm F/4L IS USM | EF-S 10-18mm F/4.5-5.6 IS STM | JINBEI DPIII600 | EINSTEIN E-640+CC/CST/CSXCV/CSR | YONGNUO: YN600EX-RT, YN-E3-RT, YNE3-RX, YN622C-TX, YN622C, RF-605C | SHANNY: SN-E3-RT, SN600C-RT, SN-E3-RF, SN600EX-RF, SN600C-RF, SN600SC, SN600SN, SN910EX-RF | PIXEL X800C (bulb dead)

elv
Goldmember
1,466 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Mar 12, 2015 05:45 |  #7

agv8or wrote in post #17471348external link
HSS works in all Wireless Modes.

Booya!

Waiting on mine to arrive as well, thanks!

FLASHHAVOC.COMexternal link

agv8or
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2006
Midwest
Mar 12, 2015 11:38 |  #8

iituner wrote in post #17471459external link
My receiver is still on the way.

Thanks for the confirmation!
All true, as I expected.

There was only one question :)
How about flash ready alert?

Not sure what you mean about the "flash ready alert" but if you are talking about the "flash ready lamp" then yes it does go out when the flash fires and when the flash is charged it illuminates but, if you are talking about the "Beep" then I have no hearing in this frequency range as you might as well be blowing a dog whistle so I have my cf for the "beep" set to "off" to keep from annoying others.

Rand

Gear

agv8or
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2006
Midwest
Mar 12, 2015 12:16 |  #9

elv wrote in post #17471465external link
Booya!

Waiting on mine to arrive as well, thanks!

Disclaimer: My testing has been sporadic and disorganized but I was not having any issues with HSS until this morning when the YN-E3-RT missed a few times while in the <Gr> ETTL mode on a 5DmII (when I get time I will try to figure that out but it is a YN-E3 and may just be another one of those YN-E3 issues to deal with). I have for testing a 5DmII and 5DmIII with both an ST-E3-RT and YN-E3-RT (have not got around to doing any tesing with a 600EX-RT as Master yet). I have only the 580EX II, 320EX and 270EX II, as non RT flashes, for testing (I have not found my 270EX II yet). I was having some issues with the 320EX but it seemed to be a connection issue so rather than mess with that I have concentrated my testing to the 580EX II. Like I said my testing is sporadic at best when I find the time but so far HSS has worked for me with all Wireless Modes where it is enabled (not enabled in Multi Mode and in <Gr> mode when Ext. A is selected as one of the Modes in any group).

I am looking forward to seeing an evaluation by someone, like yourself, who is a skilled product tester. For my purposes it will work just fine and to be honest I have been conducting my testing for my personal evaluation. I will leave any thorough evaluation to the professional testers.

Rand

Gear

iituner
326 posts
Joined May 2012
RUSSIA
Mar 12, 2015 15:45 as a reply to agv8or's post |  #10

Thank you !
And sorry for my bad English,
I'm not sure that the online translator correctly adapts the photographic terms :)

WWW.YN622.RU (external link) CANON EOS 70D | EF 50mm F/1.4 USM | EF 24-105mm F/4L IS USM | EF-S 10-18mm F/4.5-5.6 IS STM | JINBEI DPIII600 | EINSTEIN E-640+CC/CST/CSXCV/CSR | YONGNUO: YN600EX-RT, YN-E3-RT, YNE3-RX, YN622C-TX, YN622C, RF-605C | SHANNY: SN-E3-RT, SN600C-RT, SN-E3-RF, SN600EX-RF, SN600C-RF, SN600SC, SN600SN, SN910EX-RF | PIXEL X800C (bulb dead)

agv8or
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2006
Midwest
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by agv8or. 2 edits done in total.
Mar 12, 2015 16:18 |  #11

iituner wrote in post #17472111external link
Thank you !
And sorry for my bad English,
I'm not sure that the online translator correctly adapts the photographic terms :)

No problem I was just trying to fully understand your question with the main objective being, did I answer your question? Were you talking about the light or the audible beep? If you have one ordered I guess you will get your answer soon enough, just trying to also provide information for those that may have the same questions.

Rand

Gear

agv8or
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2006
Midwest
Mar 13, 2015 02:32 |  #12

If you are using a 320EX or 270EX II with the YNE3-RX (or any TTL receiver for that matter) listen up...... the flash has to be in the ETTL mode! "Isn't this an ETTL flash"? you ask. Yes it is but it also has Manual flash capability through a cameras flash menu. If you last used your flash in manual mode and then try to use it on the YNE3-RX it will not function properly. I mentioned in a previous post that I was having some issues when testing my 320EX so I just was concentrating on testing my 580EX II for the time being until I could go back and figure out the issue with the 320EX. Well I did some thinking today (I know that is dangerous) and I remember having this issue before to where I even started a thread about it back in 2012 ( http://photography-on-the.net ...showthread.php?p=14​206980 ). As you can see it was a really popular thread :lol:. I am not sure how many people will be using a 320EX or 270EX II with this receiver or why you would even want to but if you are or will, then you will want to go and read the thread that I linked to.

Rand

Gear

iituner
326 posts
Joined May 2012
RUSSIA
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by iituner.
Mar 17, 2015 12:04 |  #13

Today I received my YNE3-RX.

I did a quick test.

On a PC-sync connector supported: 1st-curtain sync, second curtain sync in M mode and SuperSync.

YNE3-RX is compatible with SHANNY SN-E3-RT
In the list of compatible flashes can add all SHANNY flashes for Canon (SN600C, SN600SC, SN600C-RF, SN600C-RT)

I will do more tests.

b7a4
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Nov 2013
AZ
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by b7a4.
Mar 17, 2015 22:23 |  #14

Just got the yne3-rx. Trying to use my godox ad360 (connected via hotshoe) to be controlled by my canon st-e3-rt...I can get it to trigger a flash, but cannot control the power output (1/1, 1/2; 1/4 etc). Set the ad360 to M as well as the group on the canon transmitter. Any ideas?

agv8or
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2006
Midwest
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by agv8or. 4 edits done in total.
Mar 17, 2015 23:09 |  #15

b7a4 wrote in post #17479786external link
Just got the yne3-rx. Trying to use my godox ad360 (connected via hotshoe) to be controlled by my canon st-e3-rt...I can get it to trigger a flash, but cannot control the power output (1/1, 1/2; 1/4 etc). Set the ad360 to M as well as the group on the canon transmitter. Any ideas?

The Godox AD 360 is a manual only flash. You need a flash with Canon ETTL capability, set to ETTL, in order for a YN-E3-RT, ST-E3-RT or 600EX-RT Master to communicate with and set the flash ouput of that flash through the YNE3-RX.

You can set the flash output of your AD 360 with your Godox transmitter/receiver combo and then use the Canon transmitter and YNE3-RX to trigger it. This way you can blend your Godox and Canon 600EX Speedlites together.

Rand

Gear

sponsored links

8,003 views & 6 likes for this thread
Yongnuo YNE3-RX What took so long?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.