Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk
Thread started 10 Mar 2015 (Tuesday) 10:06
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Will this space be adequate for family portraits

rickmar1905
Joined Nov 2014
Mar 10, 2015 10:06 |  #1

I have finally started converting the majority of my garage into a studio.
it measures 20ft x 14ft and approx 9ft high which i thought would be adequate.
I set out wanting to be able to do full body shots and also groups of 4 to 6 (families) stood side by side as i thought that would also be big enough to accommodate most other things. After moving the old partitioning walls around i did some test shots in what will be my final space with my 18-55mm lens and i am now questioning if i should bother going ahead with the studio or not.

These shots were took with my back against the opposite wall.
The top of the spirit level is 1.9m high from the floor
The spirit level is 1.5m from the back wall where my backdrop will go
I have 7ft either side of the spirit level.

I think i could achieve what i want with a canon 24-70mm f2.8 l lens (on my crop sensor 70d) which is a good lens that i can afford and equivalent to nearly 39mm on a full frame sensor (i think) but is 24mm (39mm) to small for portraits and will it give me bad appearances?

heres some samples of landscape and portrait at 18mm, 24mm, 35mm and 55mm on my 70d

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
rickmar1905
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2014
Mar 10, 2015 10:07 |  #2

24mm

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

rickmar1905
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2014
Mar 10, 2015 10:08 |  #3

35mm

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

rickmar1905
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2014
Mar 10, 2015 10:08 |  #4

55mm

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Mar 13, 2015 05:54 |  #5

Heya,

It will work as long as you are going for the studio look, with lighting and modifiers, and back drops. The closer you get with a wider focal length the more distortion will appear. I would suggest you do some basic tests of people standing on the corners at 18mm and see if you feel they look distorted or if it's acceptable. Since you're looking at basically shooting at F8 with some lights in a small space, any lens will do, I wouldn't even buy a 24-70 of any model, and instead, just use a simple 18-55 STM. Or, if you do want a sharp lens, the Sigma 18-35 makes a lot of sense in this space on APS-C.

The alternative, is to trade out the 70D for a 5D2 or 6D, and use a 24-70.

Full body shots will be wide angle in this space.

This space is best for face shots and busts.

Again, test wide angle for distortion away from center point. Have someone stand in the peripheral areas and shoot and look for that.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

rickmar1905
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2014
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by rickmar1905.
Mar 13, 2015 13:14 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #6

Those shots were with the 18-55 stm so i wont worry about lenses for now.
Ill try and get the family in and see how it looks.
I thought the portrait shot at 35mm would be ok for full body shots and was considering the sigma 35mm 1.4 art to cater for that, do you see any problems with that for 1 person?

I am planning on using 3m x 6m vinyl backdrops with studio lights (500w bowens or elinchrom in mind)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Mar 14, 2015 14:37 |  #7

rickmar1905 wrote in post #17473428external link
Those shots were with the 18-55 stm so i wont worry about lenses for now.
Ill try and get the family in and see how it looks.
I thought the portrait shot at 35mm would be ok for full body shots and was considering the sigma 35mm 1.4 art to cater for that, do you see any problems with that for 1 person?

I am planning on using 3m x 6m vinyl backdrops with studio lights (500w bowens or elinchrom in mind)

Heya,

35mm for full body is going to be tight, very tight, if at all possible. Unless you want your subject literally touching that back wall, and you touching your back to the other wall, framing up a full body with enough room to crop for framing/printing purpose is going to be tight.

I wouldn't bother with the 35 F1.4 for this. I doubt you will want to shoot at F1.4. There's just no reason for it in the studio. The backdrop will be in in relative focus even at F1.4, at a distance that gives you a full body shot. The isolation it gives will not be very apparent because distance to target is limited, and the real limitation is the distance from target to the backdrop. You need a lot of distance for this to blur out, which you will not have. And you will find the quality of most lenses stopped down to F8 which is common for studio work like this, performs very close, if not indistinguishable from far more expensive primes with wide apertures.

F1.4 isolation will be possible for just face-shots at this kind of range. But, you can also do this at F4 and F8, by just getting closer to the subject and framing up a face/bust.

Again, I'd stick with that 18-55 STM, stopped down to F8, and use the lights to control what's being seen and not try to rely on depth of field (F1.4) to isolate since you won't be able to anwyays. Simply use your backdrops and color lights wisely. You can control what's going on with the lights and what you're exposing for.

If you truly wanted higher quality, the 18-35 again makes a lot of sense. It's very sharp. And stopped down it's crazy sharp. You're going to be on the wide end in this space for full body shots, just a physical fact.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

kermit4u
744 posts
Joined Sep 2009
White Lake, NC
May 10, 2017 13:21 |  #8

did you ever build it as a studio? any pics if so

7D gripped|5DC gripped|50D gripped|Canonet QL17 Giii|

rickmar1905
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2014
Jun 25, 2017 08:41 as a reply to kermit4u's post |  #9

Yeah i did but never done anything in it, too busy with work :-(

kermit4u
744 posts
Joined Sep 2009
White Lake, NC
Jun 27, 2017 21:02 as a reply to rickmar1905's post |  #10

totally understand that

7D gripped|5DC gripped|50D gripped|Canonet QL17 Giii|

sponsored links

4,801 views & 0 likes for this thread
Will this space be adequate for family portraits
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.