Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews
Thread started 15 Mar 2015 (Sunday) 14:27
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, reviewed by DoughnutPhoto

TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND DoughnutPhoto (showing now: DoughnutPhoto)
Overall Rating8
Overall Image Quality8
Value for Money10
Bokehn/a
not rated
Sharpness6
Contrast7
Focusing10
Must Have10
Suitability to Intended Use10
Got What I Expected10
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for detailed specs and sample photos.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM

DoughnutPhoto
Joined Aug 2014
the Netherlands
Mar 15, 2015 14:27 |  #1

When I bought the 5d mk1, I sold my 15-85 and bought the 17-40L. This lens does double duty on the 60d and is a really different animal on either camera.

On the full frame 5d camera, the 17-40 is a very wide angle lens. It's listed as a 17-40 lens and at infinity focus this is generally true. However, it has focus breathing and it zooms in as you focus on close objects. The EXIF data reports 19mm rather than 17mm, so it might be a little tighter than you would expect.

The lens is perfectly good on the 13 Megapixel sensor and it's not terribly soft. That all changes when you mount the lens on a crop sensor camera, such as the 60d. The pixel density on the 60d is a lot higher, and the 17-40L just isn't able to give the resolution required for sharp images. At anything below f/8, the corners are muddy.

I would never recommend this lens for a crop sensor body. I use it on my 60d, but only when I can use f/8 or a smaller aperture - such as when I do long exposures at night.

The 17-40 is a lens with a few flaws, and a price to match. It's one of the cheaper L lenses when bought new or used. And on a full frame camera it is really wide and inspiring. For the money it's a very fun lens to get into ultra wide angle but I would recommend the new 16-35 f/4 if you can spend the money.

Canon 5d, 60d, 17-40mm L, 30mm Art, 50mm, 85mm

artyH
Goldmember
2,078 posts
Joined Aug 2009
May 10, 2015 17:05 |  #2

Mine seems sharp on crop, but it is not a prime and can't compete with a macro lens for resolution.
I suspect that there is some copy variation with this lens. The crop sensory should crop out the soft corners you see on full frame.

DoughnutPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2014
the Netherlands
May 11, 2015 00:34 as a reply to artyH's post |  #3

On the 5d mk1, I don't really have soft corners. However, the crop sensor is MUCH more demanding on the lens for sharpness. The crop sensor has a much denser sensor (more pixels per inch), so the lens has to be a lot sharper. What is sharp on the big pixels on full frame may not be sharp on the tiny pixels of the crop sensor.

However, for vignetting, distortion and so on, you are right that any lens should do better on a crop sensor.

Canon 5d, 60d, 17-40mm L, 30mm Art, 50mm, 85mm

2,148 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, reviewed by DoughnutPhoto
FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.