Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Flash Reviews
Thread started 16 Mar 2015 (Monday) 04:11
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Nissin DI-700 SPEEDLIGHT, reviewed by nazmo

TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND nazmo (showing now: nazmo)
Overall Rating9
Value for Money10
Must Have9
Got What I Expected9
Metering Accuracyn/a
not rated
User-interface8.5
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for detailed specs and sample photos.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Nissin DI-700 SPEEDLIGHT

nazmo
Joined Jan 2014
CT, South Africa
Mar 16, 2015 04:11 |  #1

So I got myself a Canon 70D start of 2014, at the time I still had a pair of Olympus (high end) Speedlights that I used to use with my old E-520. Considering what I spent on them, I decided to try using them with my Canon setup, getting some very cheap Cactus manual triggers.

Since then, I wanted to try High speed sync and at least have a Canon(or compatible) speedlight. As my Olympus units are very powerful, I wanted to get a powerful Speedlight, however, I couldnt justify the costs, being an amerteur/enthusiast, of the high end canon's. I got the Nissin Di700 instead, at a third the price as the Canon equivalent.

It is a very impressive unit! High speed sync, plenty of power, ultra reliable.

1) Ease of use
The menu system is very simple, but also very intuitive. You have a main dial, some presets, and thats about it!

2) Features
All the modes you need are there. TTL, Slave, Manual, Auto etc... Manual mode the power dial is a pleasure to use.
The unit also supports High Speed sync, in combination with my Phottix TTL trigger set, works like a charm.
The unit comes equiped with sync cord sockets as well as a powerpack input.
It uses 4XAA batteries, and output is rated just below the 600EX, above the 430EX.

3) Performance
Its important to note I shoot manual, I have a frankenstein mix of 2xOlympus (topend) speedlights, one Nissin Di700 that I use as a primary, and one fully manual Yonguo.
For me key features are power output, High speed sync, recycle time and ease of use when manually adjusting.
It accelerates in all these areas, I often fire at half power and even full power when doing outdoor shoots, I cannot recall many times that it went on the blink to cool down at all.
To date I have fired about 2000 shots with the unit, based on the amount of images taken using it. I cant recall it misfiring (due to its own failure, not related to trigger issues).

I often tell people who are in the market for speedlights to look at this unit, you cannot ignore its value and outright power.
It may not be the solution to pro's... but I do believe the canon high power units are way too expensive for an enthusiast on a budget.

PS. I have since bought an even cheaper fully manual yonguo, and its equally as impressive.
Rather invest in a good trigger set, with HSS and reliability if you plan on doing off camera lighting on a budget.

Feel free to have a look at my work below, most of them are illuminated with this setup.

70D :: Sigma 50mm 1.4 A :: Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 :: Simga 18-35mm 1.8 A :: Sigma 50-150mm F2.8
Some of my recent work - https://www.flickr.com​/photos/119061318@N03/ (external link)
My Squarespace page - http://nrpcreations.sq​uarespace.com/ (external link)

2,859 views & 0 likes for this thread
Nissin DI-700 SPEEDLIGHT, reviewed by nazmo
FORUMS Gear Reviews Flash Reviews

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.