Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions
Thread started 18 Mar 2015 (Wednesday) 19:56
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

DSLR Speed Challenge #370: Iconic

lavanut
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2007
Duluth, GA
Mar 18, 2015 19:56 |  #1

The theme for this week Iconic. Show me an image that represents something iconic that you've encountered in your photo travels. It may be a person, place, or thing. Ideally, show us something close to home so we can get an idea of what's iconic in your area, but an image from anywhere is acceptable.

This challenge begins when posted, and will end at 9:00 PM Eastern time Wednesday, March 25, 2015. Winner of this challenge will be announced shortly thereafter. Please remember to hold any comments until after the challenge ends.

Standard Rules apply for Photo Submissions:

• Camera: Any DSLR Camera Time: Any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
  • Size: Please visit Image Posting Rules.
  • Post Processing: Do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
  • Posting: ONE PHOTO per photographer in each challenge. Camera model & lens used. Post brief EXIF data including ISO, shutter speed and aperture used.
  • Commenting: No commenting during challenge. When the posting is closed and a winner has been declared, comments can be made in this thread.
  • Keep it clean, and both Family and Work safe.
  • Have questions, PM me. Have FUN!

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
  • New Topic - After winner is declared.
  • Posting Starts - Right after topic is announced.
  • Posting Ends - 9:00 p.m. Eastern time Wednesday, March 25, 2015.
    Winner from this competition decides the theme of the next one (and judges it for a winner) after this competition is closed.

I may be fascinated with volcanoes, but the name's Lisa.
My new website (external link) | ThePhotoHopper on Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Macrohopper on Instagram (nothing but macros) (external link) |
My Weather Station (external link)

sponsored links
M_Six
Cream of the Crop
6,593 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
East Central IL
Mar 19, 2015 12:47 |  #2

Marina City

Canon 6D
EF 24-105mm at 32mm
f5.6
1/800s
ISO 200

IMAGE: http://bimmermail.com/Chicago2013/cr07-md.jpg

Mark J.
Gear

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2015
Near Dallas
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by itsallart.
Mar 21, 2015 11:36 |  #3

Venetian Gondolas

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
Facebook (external link) 500px (external link)
Live Event Painting (external link)

Benitoite
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2015
Morgan Hill, CA
Mar 21, 2015 11:48 |  #4

"El Toro"
T3i EF 75-300mm II @ 75mm f/4.5 1/1250" ISO 100

HOSTED PHOTO

Voaky999
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2010
Edmonton,AB
Mar 22, 2015 09:46 |  #5

The Little Mermaid

IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2836/10494473483_fab7283233_b.jpg

Canon 5DIII
ISO 100
F22.0
SS 1/50 to 30 sec (7 Images)
Canon 17-40/f4.0

Don
"Knowledge is Good" Emil Faber

benji25
Joined Jan 2010
Twin Cities
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by benji25. 2 edits done in total.
Mar 23, 2015 16:41 |  #6

Iconic Tetons

IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2866/8932113182_c548b97465_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/eBiq​4q] (external link)Grand Teton Mountains (external link) by bennymod (external link), on Flickr

Websiteexternal link
flickrexternal link

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Tom Reichner.
Mar 23, 2015 17:46 |  #7

Iconic American Nature

HOSTED PHOTO

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

EastBayGirl
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2011
East Bay, CA
Mar 23, 2015 22:10 |  #8

Sunol Water Temple

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3892/15292447655_56539c4338_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/pikM​UB] (external link)Sunol Water Temple (external link) by Eastbaygirl925 (external link), on Flickr

Stina
flickr (external link)
Constructive criticism is always appreciated.

darkslinger
Joined Mar 2011
surrey, british columbia
Mar 24, 2015 19:49 |  #9

Gastown Steam Clock

HOSTED PHOTO

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Mar 25, 2015 23:03 |  #10

Deadline reached!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2015
Near Dallas
Mar 25, 2015 23:07 as a reply to Tom Reichner's post |  #11

Tom, so it's over?

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
Facebook (external link) 500px (external link)
Live Event Painting (external link)

lavanut
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2007
Duluth, GA
Mar 26, 2015 19:19 |  #12

Ack!!! Sorry for the delay. I was a little under the weather last night. Will have results shortly. (I hate being late. So sorry!!!) :oops:

My new website (external link) | ThePhotoHopper on Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Macrohopper on Instagram (nothing but macros) (external link) |

lavanut
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2007
Duluth, GA
Mar 26, 2015 20:04 |  #13

Again, my extreme apologies for being late with the results. That really is unlike me. (hangs head in shame)

Thanks to everyone who participated this week. I wanted to take some time to comment on the images before announcing the results. Just remember that these are my opinions, so take them for what they're worth. Everyone sees things differently.

M_Six and Marina City: These are apparently notable structures near the Chicago River, and I like the angle for the shot. It definitely added interest to the photo.

itsallart and Venetian Gondolas: I really like the colors in the photo. Venice is so scenic. I wish the mooring posts weren't so obvious in the foreground. I'm not sure if they were avoidable though.

Benitoite and El Toro
: This is a nice scenic shot of a notable hill in Santa Clara. (Yes, I googled it). Maybe a different perspective would add a little more drama to the photo.

Voaky999 and The Little Mermaid: This reminded me a lot of the mermaid statue in Stanley Park in Vancouver. (I've seen that one in person.) Were the colors really that vibrant that night? They seem almost unreal. One suggestion would be to shift the composition to set her more to the right so she's not so centered. She's already looking into the sunset, so let that fill the frame more.

benji25 and the mountains: Where is this? They are majestic looking mountains, and the clouds add a little mystery to the tops of them. It made me want to go back to the Tetons. :-)

Tom Riechner and Iconic American Nature: I really liked this photo. It's simple yet says a lot and does represent an iconic image from the American west. The subject and composition worked well. A little more contrast/saturation would really take it up a notch.

EastBayGirl and Sunol Water Temple: I like this shot too. I like the framing of the words on the temple by the tree. My preference would be to crop some off the left just to the left of the tree.

Darkslinger and Gastown Steam Clock: Another shot I really liked. The contrasting colors of the clock and building play nicely off each other. The composition worked well on this too.

Without further delay... I'm giving first place this week to Tom Reichner and the Iconic American Nature photo. It really stood out for me this week for the theme. Runner up goes to darkslinger.

Thanks again to everyone for participating!!

darkslinger
Joined Mar 2011
surrey, british columbia
Mar 26, 2015 20:36 |  #14

Congrats Tom, it's a great shot. Looking forward to the next challenge.

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
6,593 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
East Central IL
Mar 26, 2015 20:37 |  #15

Good choice. Superb image, Tom. Very nicely done.

Love the clock, Darkslinger.

Mark J.
Gear

sponsored links

4,393 views & 5 likes for this thread
DSLR Speed Challenge #370: Iconic
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.