Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes
Thread started 22 Mar 2015 (Sunday) 02:24
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Intoxicating

RobDickinson
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
New Zealand
Mar 22, 2015 02:24 |  #1

Nothing gets my pulse racing more than spotting aurora on the horizon. I get all edgy, nervous , you never know how long it will last, where it will be, what it will look like in a few brief minutes.

I'd just concluded my astro workshop, Dark Skies of Wonder, with a great crew of people, at Tekapo's famous church when we spotted a bright arc in the sky.

Firing off a few frames we could tell it was Aurora, but un-typical for NZ it was a very defined green.

So we all headed off, and it seems all headed off to chase the light. I drove another half hour south to a point on the main route that I knew well and had always planned to shoot. An ideal opportunity!

Shooting at 4am I was a little tired and still had a fair drive home, so this was my last panoramic. Put together from 40 individual frames at 24mm, the Milky Way stretched directly overhead so it made shooting somewhat tricky.

The resultant image is vast with so much detail and clarity, by far the best astro image I have shot with the a7r.

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8713/16889396662_29c1c81419_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/rJsz​db] (external link)Intoxicating (external link) by robjdickinson (external link), on Flickr

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

sponsored links
paul3221
Goldmember
2,368 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Mar 22, 2015 10:55 |  #2

Great shot!

Paul
5DII, 60D, 10-22, 17-40L, 24-105L, Tokina 11-16, and a bunch of other stuff.
Flickrexternal link/Fluidrexternal link
500pxexternal link
Facebook Photography Page

burnaz
79 posts
Joined May 2008
Hayward, California
Mar 22, 2015 11:42 |  #3

WoW! One of the items in my bucket list is to see the auroras!

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Mar 22, 2015 16:14 |  #4

You hit the daily double ;)

How big is the total MP of the image? The biggest one I've made was 206 MP but it used fraction of the images you took.

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

RobDickinson
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
New Zealand
Mar 22, 2015 16:45 |  #5

dkizzle wrote in post #17486975external link
You hit the daily double ;)

How big is the total MP of the image? The biggest one I've made was 206 MP but it used fraction of the images you took.

I think its about 400mp.. Have to check, about 31000 wide and near half that tall

I shot a lot of overlap with this though, using a mechanical pano head I am less precice (at 4am..) at counting clicks and rows etc..

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by dkizzle.
Mar 22, 2015 16:47 as a reply to RobDickinson's post |  #6

http://web.forret.com/​tools/megapixel.aspexternal link

This is the tool I've used to calculate MP.

Go Kiwi :)

PS. I think I should've said the nightly double....

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

sponsored links

1,057 views & 3 likes for this thread
Intoxicating
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.