Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Leica Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Leica Cameras
Thread started 30 Mar 2015 (Monday) 12:22
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

value of leica cameras

chuck ­ m
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined May 2012
Idaho
Mar 30, 2015 12:22 |  #1

I have a Leica camera, M3 with leather case. I also have a Leica Meter MC light meter. I am sure that they are worth something, but, My father was paranoid in his older years and inscribed his name and address on all his cameras.

My question to all you experts is would someone buy such items that have been engraved?

I also have a Kodak Regina camera and a Weston Electric light meter in the same condition.

These cameras and meters were purchased in the early 1950's.

chuck m

sponsored links
Furlan
624 posts
Joined Nov 2012
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Furlan.
Mar 30, 2015 13:39 |  #2

I think you mean Kodak Retina and on that one there are many models. As far as the Leica M3
they still go for a pretty penny. I know for sure the engraving is going to effect the value how much
I'm not sure. The Leica must have a lens list the lens model that will effect the price. I'm sure there
are folks on this forum who will be able to tell you how the engraving will effect the value.

Was just thinking if by miracle the engraving is on the base plate it might not effect the value all
that much as it would be easily replaced. That would be the bottom of the body.

chuck ­ m
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined May 2012
Idaho
Mar 30, 2015 14:14 as a reply to Furlan's post |  #3

Thank you, Furlan.

Kodak Retina, sorry.

As suggested above. The lens is a Leitz f=5cm.

The engraving is visible even with the camera case is on the camera.

I should note that I have the original instruction manuals for the M3 and the Leica light meter. But no books on the kodak.

chuck m

Furlan
624 posts
Joined Nov 2012
Apr 04, 2015 10:02 as a reply to chuck m's post |  #4

I'm surprised that no one has chimed in on this thread. I see a ton of Retinas on e-bay at some
crazy high prices but not a one is selling. So the Retina what ever you can get just dump it. The
Leica on the over the hand before you sell it you better do some homework. Its all about variation,
condition etc and your going to take a big hit due to the engraving. Just where did he engrave the
body? I hope he didn't do any engraving on the lens body. Well good luck.

chuck ­ m
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined May 2012
Idaho
Apr 06, 2015 15:14 as a reply to Furlan's post |  #5

Thanks, Furlan. All of the engraving was done on the visible surfaces of the camera body.

These cameras don't need to be sold, but I suppose if an offer were made I'd let them go.

They are just like my Minolta's I spent a fortune on them but now they are just paper weights.

chuck

Furlan
624 posts
Joined Nov 2012
Apr 06, 2015 16:02 as a reply to chuck m's post |  #6

The Leica is by no means a paper weight. If it was my fathers no way would I sell it and the
engraving would mean something. Keep it in the family as a heirloom. The Retina that's a boat
anchor.

britinjapan
Joined Oct 2011
Tokyo
Apr 07, 2015 16:44 |  #7

Id definitely keep the Leica - the fact that its engraved is a great personal memory to you. You will regret the few thousand dollars you may get for it in a few years. Put it away, and take it out again in the future. Your views will change. Its a treasure. I wish my dad had his still, instead of having sold it, as he thought it was worth something. That money is gone now. Precious objects stay forever.

Canon 6D, 35mm F2 IS, 50mm F1.2L, 85mm 1.2L, 135mm F2L, 24-70 F4L, Tokyo, Japan

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004
where the buffalo roam
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by DocFrankenstein.
Apr 13, 2015 11:14 |  #8

Having engraving devalues it for the collectors.

M3 users go for 500. If it was used a long time ago, you'll get at least 300 400 for it... also depends on serial numbers, whether the leica seal is broken... etc.

As for the lens - it really depends on which lens you have. At least 200 I think.

If you want to shoot it, you're likely looking at shutter curtain changes which run from 200 to 400 bucks.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

sponsored links

3,484 views & 0 likes for this thread
value of leica cameras
FORUMS Leica Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Leica Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.