Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Thread started 31 Mar 2015 (Tuesday) 11:27
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Challenge #528 --- Street Photography

JimAskew
20% discount at IHOP
Joined Aug 2005
Springfield, VA
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by JimAskew. 3 edits done in total.
Mar 31, 2015 11:27 |  #1

This week your mission is to create a winning entry from the streets. Good people and/or places content that tell the story are key to successful Street Photography. Make it look natural not posed as if the viewer is seeing the scene with his or her own eyes. As always composition and exposure are key to a winning photo. Drag me into your photo and you will have a winner :-)

To submit, click the button labeled 'POST TO THREAD' and put your Photo Title in the first line of the post, above your photo.

Don't forget your Camera Model.

Post until Monday noon GMT, April 6, 2015. Photo Submissions Camera -- Canon G-Series Camera G1, G2, G3, G5, G6, G7, G9, G10, G11, G12, G15, G16, G1X, G1X Mark II, G7 X and Pro1 only.

Time -- any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.

Size -- photo must be no less than 800 pixels and no more than 1024 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS. Post-Processing -- do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.

Posting -- One photo per photographer in each challenge.

Photo Title in the first line of the post. Camera model. EXIF data, if you like.

Commenting -- No commenting on photos by anyone, including the photographer. Once the winners are declared, photographers can add comments to their images and everyone is invited to discuss.

Photo Display -- Photos must appear in this thread to be eligible.

Schedule -- One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning.
Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT
Winners Announcement ... As soon as possible, max. until Tuesday noon GMT.

See the Sticky Notes at the top of this forum for detailed rules on this G-Series contest.

Click FOLLOW THREAD in the top right of the challenge's thread page. Notifications of new posts will appear below the POTN logo and the main links in the top of each forum page.

Note: Email notifications are not active at the moment, they will be available soon. Pay attention to your PMs or 'Heads Up!' messages. This will allow the host, helpful members or moderators to contact you about winning or ineligible photos.

Great photos all :-) I wish I could rank them all Number One...alas the rules don't allow! So, here goes:

1st Place Rafael (rpolitsr) -- The Basilica atop the hill. Excellent photo and put me right into the crowd making the pilgrimage up the hill.
2nd Place teekay -- Shoes for the Soul. Great shot...laid back and enjoying some rays...I was there in spirit for sure.
3rd Place Spoco57 -- Dublin Street. Great mystery here...what is going to hold her attention? I want to see too!

So, back to you Rafael. Perhaps now that the holiday is past we can get some additional players next week. Looking forward to your challenge.

**EDIT** Oops... I mis-labeled teekay & Spoco57 to their correct photos...I apologize for the confusion...Jim

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jim -- I keep the G5X in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L

sponsored links
rpolitsr
Joined Jun 2005
Quito - Ecuador
Apr 04, 2015 02:45 |  #2

the Basilica atop the hill

IMAGE: http://rpolitsr.rafaelpolit.com/potngserieschall/528_streetphotog_CRW_1949_1024.jpg
powershot Pro1

rafael
Canon powershot Pro1, EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleriesexternal link
"Personal messaging regarding selling or buying items with members who have no posts in forums and/or who you do not know from forums is hereby declared strictly stupid and you will get burned."
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

Spoco57
Joined Mar 2013
Allegany County, NY
Apr 04, 2015 13:01 |  #3

Dublin Street
G1X

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8704/17032526065_a3b1cb11d0_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/rX79​Av] (external link)street scene (external link) by spocoyankees (external link), on Flickr

teekay
Goldmember
2,559 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by teekay. 2 edits done in total.
Apr 04, 2015 18:39 |  #4

Shoes For The Soul

IMAGE: http://community.netidea.com/teekay/temp/NoImage.jpg

G15

JimAskew
THREAD ­ STARTER
20% discount at IHOP
Joined Aug 2005
Springfield, VA
Apr 06, 2015 07:11 |  #5

Contest is closed. Thanks for those who participated. I'll have the results posted soon :-)

Hope everyone had a wonderful Easter :-)

JimAskew
THREAD ­ STARTER
20% discount at IHOP
Joined Aug 2005
Springfield, VA
Apr 06, 2015 19:54 |  #6

Results posted at the top. Thanks again to all who participated on such a busy Easter week.

rpolitsr
Joined Jun 2005
Quito - Ecuador
Apr 06, 2015 22:50 |  #7

Thank you, Jim. I will start a new challenge soon, but, as you said, thinking on three equally ranked photos is a good solution for this week.

Congratulations teekay and Spoco57, beautiful shots.

teekay, after finding that the shoes store is in Baker Street, I was looking for the mythical 221B of Sherlock Holmes in your photo. (Well, I know that THAT Baker Street is in London. :) ).
Spoco57 I love to see your photos from Ireland. Dublin has some streets with character!

This year the birthday of my grandson (April 5) coincided with Easter, so I went to downtown on Friday to find some street action. Of course, the main event was the Good Friday procession moving toward the Basilica. That church is the tallest building in Quito Downtown with the towers of 115 meters (377 feet) and it is located near the top of the hill of San Juan in the slopes of the Pichincha Volcano.

rafael
Canon powershot Pro1, EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleriesexternal link
"Personal messaging regarding selling or buying items with members who have no posts in forums and/or who you do not know from forums is hereby declared strictly stupid and you will get burned."
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,627 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Central California
Apr 07, 2015 01:04 |  #8

I am sorry I missed this week's challenge but I have been doing photo shoots daily since last Wednesday & have fallen behind with everything else. Not only that but I can't get my camera to hang on to the battery charge. After I load a freshly charged battery, I can only take 5-6 pictures & the battery is dead. I have 4 batteries & they all do the same thing so I am thinking it is the camera. Dang thing also doesn't focus most of the time & I am barely hanging on with it. Luckily Skip has a Pro 1 so as soon as I can find it, I am going to switch out my camera for his.

Congrats to the winners & I promise to try to get it together for next week.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
5DIII
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 85/1.2 135/2.0, 300/f4, 24-70/2.8 both I & II

Spoco57
Joined Mar 2013
Allegany County, NY
Apr 07, 2015 06:58 |  #9

Thanks for the challenge, Jim! Not too many entries... chalk it up to a holiday week, maybe?

Congrats Rafael. I loved that shot with the church spires and the great crowds. You live in a city with a lot of color and drama! The photo of the group moving up to the Basilica would be difficult to top, especially during this Easter season.

My daughter stepped into this sidestreet in Dublin for a moment and I snapped a quick shot. I've always liked this photo for some reason and am glad I got an excuse to enter it.

Thanks for hosting Jim!

Steve

teekay
Goldmember
2,559 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Apr 07, 2015 10:56 |  #10

Congratulations, Rafael! You were lucky Easter coincided with this challenge, as that street crammed full of people in the rain was, I assume, a once-a-year sight? A real winning composition!

Jim, I'm not sure who is second and third from your results list at the top as you have switched the photos attributed to Spoco and myself - not that it matters as with only three entries we're all winners this week.:-)

teekay
Goldmember
2,559 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by teekay. 2 edits done in total.
Apr 07, 2015 11:14 |  #11

rpolitsr wrote in post #17507385 (external link)
....teekay, after finding that the shoes store is in Baker Street, I was looking for the mythical 221B of Sherlock Holmes in your photo. (Well, I know that THAT Baker Street is in London. :).... )

I can see you enjoy a little research, Rafael, as I do. Yes, that store is indeed on Baker Street, the main street in our town, and it's always full of life and opportunities for street photography - which I only try occasionally.

Here's another taken on the same street:

Raven
698 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Seattle area, WA, USA
Apr 07, 2015 11:37 |  #12

Congrats Rafael, Spoco and teekay. All excellent entries and winners.
And thanks, Jim, for judging a fun subject.

I had every intention of entering something this week. But I managed to re-injure my MCL (medial collateral ligament). I had blown it out several years ago. Was fine until this past week.
Not even sure what I did to injure it. As I had nothing in my archives (I really need to work harder on doing street photography), that would have meant walking. Not happening last week.
Hopefully this week or next.

Trumper
715 posts
Joined May 2003
Apr 07, 2015 14:56 |  #13

:-) Well done everyone.A question relating to the subject,how do you get round that awkward feeling about pointing a camera at strangers in a public place?.

Spoco57
Joined Mar 2013
Allegany County, NY
Apr 07, 2015 16:14 |  #14

I've found that the G1X's complete swivel screen lets me take right-angle shots, and even shots back behind me at an angle. When I'm not facing in the direction of my lens, I'm learning that I can catch a lot of candid crowd shots. It's the best camera for street shooting I've ever used. It's amazing how people pay no attention to you if you're facing away from them.,

teekay
Goldmember
2,559 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by teekay.
Apr 07, 2015 18:15 |  #15

Trumper wrote in post #17508199 (external link)
:-) ...how do you get round that awkward feeling about pointing a camera at strangers in a public place?.

I don't do much street photography although I would like to. I still haven't found the best way to avoid the feeling that I might be offending someone. I don't find telephoto is the answer, and I find my 60D feels too big and obvious, so I really like the G15. It can take shots in poor light with adequate speed but I really miss a flip screen. I have tried "blind" shots from the hip while looking the other way but that's very hit and miss, so I just try and get shots without being noticed.

It's a very interesting question, Trumper, and you'll find quite a lot on the subject in the "Urban Life & Travel" talk forum, including a thread on street photography "no-nos".

Incidentally, does anyone know why our long time challenge friend Marie is no longer participating here? She often posted amazing "street" shots that made us wonder how on earth she got them.

Finally, here's one unsatisfactory shot where I DEFINITELY didn't want to risk offending the guy so I snapped it from the hip while he was on his cell phone.:-)

sponsored links

3,517 views & 1 like for this thread
Challenge #528 --- Street Photography
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.