Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 01 Apr 2015 (Wednesday) 09:13
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon to Buy Knock Off Brand Yongnuo

digirebelva
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Appomattox, Virginia
Apr 01, 2015 09:13 |  #1

https://fstoplounge.co​m ...-knock-off-brand-yongnuo/external link

EOS 6d, 7d, 50d, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Websiteexternal link | Fine Art Americaexternal link

sponsored links
johnandbentley
Joined Jun 2010
Twin Cities
Apr 01, 2015 09:16 |  #2

Ha! I need a 135 f1.8!

6D, Sigma 35, Sigma 85

digirebelva
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Appomattox, Virginia
Apr 01, 2015 09:27 |  #3

Course it could all be a joke considering the release date of the announcement...well have to wait and see

EOS 6d, 7d, 50d, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Websiteexternal link | Fine Art Americaexternal link

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
Joined Apr 2014
Psych Ward, East Wing, USA
Apr 01, 2015 09:50 |  #4

I definitely hope it's an Apr 1 joke. Canon maintaining the Yongnuo brand would be a bit of a fib. The "announcement" also inaccurately characterizes Yongnuo as a counterfeit operation.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

johnandbentley
Joined Jun 2010
Twin Cities
Apr 01, 2015 11:41 |  #5

It definitely is an april fools joke, dated 4/1/2015

6D, Sigma 35, Sigma 85

qdrummer21
121 posts
Joined May 2009
Central, NH
Apr 01, 2015 11:44 as a reply to PineBomb's post |  #6

I'd say it's an April 1st prank article. If Canon were to buy the YN brand as stated in the article, that would include the Nikon product lines YN offers. That's a pretty big detail that a press release would want to cover if this were a real acquisition, yet nothing is mentioned about the Nikons.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EOS Digital Rebel XSi / EOS 450D / Kiss X2 | Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS |

magoosmc
Joined Jan 2012
Keuka Lake NY
Apr 01, 2015 11:46 |  #7

If it was reversed "Knock Off Brand Yongnuo to Buy Canon" I might have believed it.

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/22055591@N05/a​lbums (external link)

timlair
122 posts
Joined Apr 2011
Apr 01, 2015 17:08 |  #8

I hope this is a joke. If it's not, i wonder if it'd increase yongnuo prices...?

6D, Canon 70-200 2.8L, Canon 24-70 2.8L, Canon 17-40 4L, Rokinon 14mm 2.8, , AB800
Facebook (external link)My Website (external link)My flickr (external link) 500px (external link)

Nawzlew
32 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Apr 01, 2015 22:20 |  #9

magoosmc wrote in post #17500662external link
If it was reversed "Knock Off Brand Yongnuo to Buy Canon" I might have believed it.

:p

Wilson Tsai | Canon 550D | San Jose/Los Angeles, CA
http://flickr.com/nawz​lewexternal link

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Southport nr Liverpool United Kingdom
Apr 08, 2015 17:25 |  #10

Have you seen this? Yongnuo are to make a mirrorless DSLM. YN650-PR-LS-FL. And this is no April fools joke. It's called the YN650-PR-LS-FL. And German site Marcusfoto are reporting it.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Southport nr Liverpool United Kingdom
Apr 08, 2015 17:31 |  #11

http://marcusfotos.de ...l_dslm___article_10​2.htmlexternal link

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Apr 09, 2015 14:11 |  #12

April Fools joke or not, I am not sure why folks think that this would be so unusual.

It seems very possible to me that a small little company would have a patent that a big company would be interested in, and that maybe the big company tries to buy the patent, and the smaller company refuses, then the big company just buys the whole little company in order to get the patent it wants.

That kind of stuff happens all the time, doesn't it?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

nqjudo
Goldmember
2,679 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Canada
Apr 09, 2015 14:28 |  #13

Tom Reichner wrote in post #17510900external link
April Fools joke or not, I am not sure why folks think that this would be so unusual.

It seems very possible to me that a small little company would have a patent that a big company would be interested in, and that maybe the big company tries to buy the patent, and the smaller company refuses, then the big company just buys the whole little company in order to get the patent it wants.

That kind of stuff happens all the time, doesn't it?

Much in the same way you can't buy your neighbour's house unless he is willing to sell it a company can't just decide to buy another company unless the other is willing to sell. The possibility of a takeover exists but takeovers aren't the stuff of Hollywood films. They are complex, usually very costly and don't actually happen that often. Regardless, I don't think that Yongnuo is publicly traded and it is possible there is a single majority shareholder which rules out the possibility of any kind of takeover except a friendly one.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Tom Reichner.
Apr 09, 2015 15:10 |  #14

nqjudo wrote in post #17510936external link
Much in the same way you can't buy your neighbour's house unless he is willing to sell it a company can't just decide to buy another company unless the other is willing to sell.

Right, of course - that is obvious. But if my neighbor's house is worth $140,000 and someone who is very big and rich and powerful really wants to buy my neighbors house, they will offer $250,00 or $300,00, and guess what - my neighbor will sell her house to them.

If a tiny little knock-off company has a patent, but can only use that patent to generate a few million dollars of additional profits, and a big company like Canon can use that same patent to generate hundreds of millions of dollars in additional profits, then it would make sense for for Canon to over-pay for the company so that it can get that patent. And it would also make sense for that tiny little knock-off company to sell to Canon at the inflated price. That is why this sort of thing happens all the time in the business world.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

Qlayer2
OOOHHH! Pretty Moth!
Joined Dec 2013
Detroit, MI
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Qlayer2.
Apr 09, 2015 15:12 |  #15

I don't think Yongnuo has any patents Canon wants- almost everything they sell is reverse engineered copies of existing Canon equipment.

Buying them to kill the competition so they can keep selling their flash units would make more sense, but their are so many third party companies doing the same thing, I doubt it would have much impact.

Support the forums - donate here

sponsored links

3,738 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon to Buy Knock Off Brand Yongnuo
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.