Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions
Thread started 13 Apr 2015 (Monday) 20:56
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

DSLR Speed Challenge #373: Four Basic Elements

lavanut
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2007
Duluth, GA
Apr 13, 2015 20:56 |  #1

DSLR Speed Challenge #373: The Four Basic Elements

The ancient Greeks believed that all matter (and to a degree, human nature) was composed of one or more of the four basic elements of Earth, Air (or Wind), Fire, and Water. This week, show me a photo where one or more of these four basic elements is prominently featured. It may or may not be the subject, but it should be a key part of the photo.

Be safe & be creative!!
(And if you've never heard any music by Earth, Wind, & Fire, go check them out if interested.)

**Please note the addition of adding a title to the post.**

This challenge begins when posted, and will end at 10:00p.m. Eastern time Monday, April 20, 2015. Winner of this challenge will be announced shortly thereafter.

Standard Rules apply
Photo Submissions:
1. Camera: Any DSLR Camera
2. Time: Any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
3. Size: Please visit Image Posting Rules.
4. Post Processing: Do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
5. Posting:

• ONE PHOTO per photographer in each challenge.
  • Post photo title in the first line of the post
  • Post brief EXIF data including ISO, shutter speed and aperture used
  • Camera model & lens used

6. Commenting: No commenting during challenge. When the posting is closed and a winner has been declared, comments can be made in this thread.
7. Keep it clean, and both Family and Work safe.
8. Have questions, PM me.
9. Have FUN!
One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
* New Topic - After winner is declared.
* Posting Starts - Right after topic is announced.
* Posting will end at 10:00 p.m. Eastern time Monday, April 20, 2015.
* Winner from this competition decides the theme of the next one (and judges it for a winner) after this competition is closed.

I may be fascinated with volcanoes, but the name's Lisa.
My new website (external link) | ThePhotoHopper on Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Macrohopper on Instagram (nothing but macros) (external link) |
My Weather Station (external link)

sponsored links
kbColorado
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2010
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by kbColorado. 2 edits done in total.
Apr 13, 2015 23:22 |  #2

Creekside

IMAGE: http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j100/kbtrans/bozo%20at%20rest-_zpsas2rbzqm.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://s78.photobucket​.com ...est-_zpsas2rbzqm.jpg.html] (external link)

April 13, 2015
5DMKII
24-70
1/200 @ f3.5
ISO 250
Silver EFX Pro

Paul
deep greens and blues are the colors I choose ...

Benitoite
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2015
Morgan Hill, CA
Apr 13, 2015 23:51 |  #3

Granuja Falls

T3i EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II @ 18mm; 5" ƒ7.1 ISO 100

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
6,605 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
East Central IL
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by M_Six.
Apr 14, 2015 12:58 |  #4

Canon 5D MkIII
Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 Sport @ 300mm
f2.8
1/4000 sec
ISO 100

Earth, Wind, and Fire

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5608/15530113186_5fed104fa6_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/pEkT​Ab] (external link)Wind Power vs Solar Power (external link) by Mark J Photography (external link), on Flickr

Mark J.
Gear

teekay
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by teekay.
Apr 14, 2015 13:51 |  #5

Glassworking Fire

IMAGE: http://community.netidea.com/teekay/temp/NoImage.jpg

60D 1/50 f/3.5 ISO100 24mm (Tamron17-50)

Jason ­ C
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
Calabasas, CA
Apr 15, 2015 00:34 |  #6

Into the Fire

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7609/16966136608_728978ee01_b.jpg

5D
70-200 f/4 L
1/800th sec
f/8
200mm
iso 400
spot metered
manual mode
crop

Calabasas brush fire 2013 caused by a vehicle fire.
Distance from my vantage point, 9/10nths mile

Jason

Equipment & Feedback
"I am not interested in shooting new things-I am interested to see things new"--Ernst Haas

lavanut
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2007
Duluth, GA
Apr 20, 2015 21:03 |  #7

Contest is closed. Results will be up shortly.

My new website (external link) | ThePhotoHopper on Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Macrohopper on Instagram (nothing but macros) (external link) |

lavanut
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2007
Duluth, GA
Apr 20, 2015 21:43 |  #8

Thanks to everyone who participated in the challenge this week. Here are a few thoughts & comments on the photos. Again, they're just my thoughts on my take on the photos as I see them.

kbColorado - Creekside: This is a nice b&w white shot of a guitar by a creek. Overall it's a pleasing composition & makes me feel like someone's about to sit down on a log or rock and strum out a few songs. I wish there was a little more water in the photo for the theme.

Benitoit - Granuja Falls: I always like nice waterfall shots. I think I would prefer a little tighter crop on the falls themselves and a little less of the rock on the right in the foreground. Maybe it's my monitor, but it looks like the rocks on the falls are a little soft.

M_Six - Earth, Wind, and Fire: I like the "God Rays" in the photo. The one transmission tower with all the wires leading to and away from it with all the wind turbines surrounding it is a simple composition that works for me.

teekay- Glassworking Fire: I like the subject of this photo. I saw a glassblower a few months ago myself and was impressed with what she could do with a blowtorch. I think I would have preferred a vertical crop on the guy on the left so that he is the main focus of the image.

Jason C - Into the Fire: You managed to get all 4 elements of the theme in the photo. I am curious as to why you left the branch of the palm tree in the upper right instead of cropping or editing it out. You may not have been able to crop that without cropping out some key elements of the photo.

Soooo..... I considered the theme and the composition and elements of the photo and how they all fit together in deciding the winner for this week. Based on those, this week's winner is Jason C and his Into the Fire image.
Runner up was really close for me, but that goes to M_Six.

Congrats guys, and thanks again to everyone for participating!!

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Apr 20, 2015 22:40 |  #9

Congrats, Jason! What a great image!

lavanut wrote in post #17525752external link
Jason C - Into the Fire: I am curious as to why you left the branch of the palm tree in the upper right instead of cropping or editing it out. You may not have been able to crop that without cropping out some key elements of the photo.

I think the inclusion of the fore ground tree makes it a better image. If I had been at that scene, I would have positioned myself so that I could be sure to get the top of the palm tree into the frame, the way Jason did. The blurred out tree lets the viewer know that there was tall vegetation looming over the area where the photo was taken from. it tells the viewer something additional about the scene. Also, from a compositional standpoint, I think that it balances the helicopter nicely. Just my opinion, which is not worth any more than anyone else's. I do find it interesting that lavanut thinks the image would be better if the tree were not included.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

lavanut
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2007
Duluth, GA
Apr 20, 2015 22:53 as a reply to Tom Reichner's post |  #10

I'm not sure if I think it would be better. I was just curious as to why he left it in the image. Part of me likes it, and part of me thinks it's a little out of place. I lean more to liking it, but that's why I wanted to ask Jason why he chose to leave it in there. Jason usually has a good reason for everything in his images. ;-)a

Admittedly, one thing I often struggle with is what to crop and what to leave. I remember reading more than once that everything in the photo should contribute to the main subject or theme of the photo. If it doesn't add to it, then it takes away from it. Making sure you know what the main subject is and making sure (in general) that all the elements contribute to that subject should be a key factor in composition. I find myself thinking more and more about that these days.

I know I'm paraphrasing what I read, but that's the general gist. I welcome other thoughts & viewpoints!

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
6,605 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
East Central IL
Apr 21, 2015 07:48 |  #11

Nice work everyone. Kudos, Jason. Nice shot. Was there a bigger fire on the other side of the hill?

Mark J.
Gear

Jason ­ C
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
Calabasas, CA
Apr 21, 2015 08:26 |  #12

Thank you Lisa for the nod, and the challenge. Very good work from everyone!

Yes, that branch annoys me, but as Lisa mentioned, keeping key elements in the frame made the choice for me. I did NIT want to clone-out the tree, because I wanted to keep the photo-journalist aspect of the event intact...so I did not clone Hillary out of the war room.

And, it is a big crop to begin with, you should see everything else I cropped out.

Anyway, thank you again.

I will post the new challenge Wednesday, reason being, my work station began crashing during the last week, very bad. System restore to factory settings did not solve the issue, so as of now I am on a 10' notepad running XP, with a screen res of 800x600. Online navigation is a chore.

Next challenge will be up tomorrow.

Thank you all.

Jason

Equipment & Feedback
"I am not interested in shooting new things-I am interested to see things new"--Ernst Haas

kbColorado
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2010
Apr 21, 2015 08:49 |  #13

Thanks Lisa for the challenge, particularly for taking the time to discuss each entry. Congrats, Jason!

Paul
deep greens and blues are the colors I choose ...

teekay
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Apr 21, 2015 10:42 |  #14

Congratulations, Jason, on getting every element into your winning shot - and I would have also left the palm tree in;-)a

Jason ­ C
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
Calabasas, CA
Apr 22, 2015 16:20 |  #15

New challenge is up:

DSLR Speed Challenge # 374
Man versus Nature

Looking forward to your submissions!

Jason

Equipment & Feedback

sponsored links

2,307 views & 1 like for this thread
DSLR Speed Challenge #373: Four Basic Elements
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.